Thread: Grey Squirrel Wet Genital area?? Help

Default Grey Squirrel Wet Genital area?? Help

Hello guys. I have a male grey squirrel that is 6 months old, and for the past month or so he's been really wet down where he goes number 1. It has been consistently that way every day now. I'm really concerned. I will try to attach a picture to this post. Could this be a urinary infection?? What should I do?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: Grey Squirrel Wet Genital area?? Help

Quote Originally Posted by DavidDane View Post
    Hello guys. I have a male grey squirrel that is 6 months old, and for the past month or so he's been really wet down where he goes number 1. It has been consistently that way every day now. I'm really concerned. I will try to attach a picture to this post. Could this be a urinary infection?? What should I do?

Any other indications that might let you think UTI?
    Any signs of straining to pee, rubbing on things etc.?
    Or are you just finding him "wet" like this?
    I've recently had the same incidence with one of my males who has "dropped"
    and feeling his testosterone surges... he's been "servicing" himself.
    His appearance was much like your posted picture. I knew he wasn't sick but
    it certinally was concerning until I realized what was happening. Went on for
    awhile but he finally stopped.... now he's just a mean s*it and ready for release.

If you can still handle him I'd try and clean the area so he don't get urine scald.
    My guy only let me do it once but he seemed to keep himself cleaned off pretty
    well between "urges."

Not saying this is the same as your guy but if your not seeing other signs of a uti
    it's likely what is going on.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

3. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Mel1959 (03-28-2018), redwuff (04-03-2018), sundoesshine (02-18-2021)

I've also had juvenile males who did this and stayed wet most of the time. It was only a problem with one who got urine scald so bad he had to be separated from the others and treated -- and OMG did he stink to high heaven
    All the others outgrew it in a couple of weeks.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

5. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Mel1959 (03-28-2018), stepnstone (03-28-2018), sundoesshine (02-18-2021)

Thanks for the relies! I haven't noticed him struggling or rubbing on anything, but then again I don't really see him going to the bathroom. He doesn't let me hold him anymore or I would clean him. I do let him out to play once a day on my porch and he will run on me, but I doubt he'll let me grab him anymore. He attached himself to the female I raised him with instead of me. I plan to release him soon but I didn't want to yet if he was suffering from an infection. I also don't ever see him licking himself. He's simply just wet like that everyday. Do you guys have any ideas on what I should do next or look for?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidDane View Post
    Thanks for the relies! I haven't noticed him struggling or rubbing on anything, but then again I don't really see him going to the bathroom. He doesn't let me hold him anymore or I would clean him. I do let him out to play once a day on my porch and he will run on me, but I doubt he'll let me grab him anymore. He attached himself to the female I raised him with instead of me. I plan to release him soon but I didn't want to yet if he was suffering from an infection. I also don't ever see him licking himself. He's simply just wet like that everyday. Do you guys have any ideas on what I should do next or look for?

Did you ever find out what was going on with your male? I'm having the same issue with one and would like to know what to do as well.

Have you washed the area and really looked at his skin, under the fur? And after washing are you sure it's coming from his prepuce/penis?

How's he doing today?

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cava from:

Mel1959 (04-02-2018)

I have seen this in my foxer male who is almost 4 years old. From my observation it seems to happen around mating season and when his testicles are enlarged. After mating season is over his testicles will become smaller and he is dry around the privates again. It does appear to be hormonal.

11. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Rexie:

cava (04-09-2018), Mel1959 (04-10-2018), stepnstone (04-10-2018), sundoesshine (02-18-2021)