Thread: Raising a candidate for release

Default Raising a candidate for release

So today marks 7 days since our new arrival ( “Penelope “) ; a baby grey that seems to be normal ( except I still wonder about her legs..) She will be ( if I can put aside my emotions; already getting attached to her ) my first attempt to raise a releasable squirrel . Are there some stickies , or good threads that discuss the steps ( housing stages , feeding, handling , etc.) to raise her to want to be free ? Also, should I seek out one, two or more others to raise with her? The local rehabber I help just got in a few new babies; she said I could have one to raise along with Penelope , if this is best?
    My other three were obvious non releases; I cuddled them from day 1 , knowing they were in their forever home. With her, I need to read/study how to care for her, nurture her etc. The do’s and don’ts I guess, in raising a keeper vs a releasable baby. And what do I do, if we do everything correctly, and she doesn’t want to leave? Does that happen ?

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cava:

Snicker Bar (03-24-2018), Toddy (03-24-2018)

Default Re: Raising a candidate for release

Quote Originally Posted by Snicker Bar View Post
    So today marks 7 days since our new arrival ( “Penelope “) ; a baby grey that seems to be normal ( except I still wonder about her legs..) She will be ( if I can put aside my emotions; already getting attached to her ) my first attempt to raise a releasable squirrel . Are there some stickies , or good threads that discuss the steps ( housing stages , feeding, handling , etc.) to raise her to want to be free ? Also, should I seek out one, two or more others to raise with her? The local rehabber I help just got in a few new babies; she said I could have one to raise along with Penelope , if this is best?
    My other three were obvious non releases; I cuddled them from day 1 , knowing they were in their forever home. With her, I need to read/study how to care for her, nurture her etc. The do’s and don’ts I guess, in raising a keeper vs a releasable baby. And what do I do, if we do everything correctly, and she doesn’t want to leave? Does that happen ?
    I don't think there is a specific location on TSB that addresses the questions you raised. All the info is here but it's scattered over the board.

I'll give a little info here. I wouldn't worry about her 'wanting to be free'. No matter how much you nurture them, the overwhelming majority will reach a point where to want to go. They are strongly driven by instincts and it's almost coded in their DNA to be free in the trees. I have released many. Some very friendly... others not so much. Whether friendly or feisty they mostly all want to go when they climb that first tree.
    It's almost like watching a switch click in their head. For most, there is no turning back. They want freedom and to live the life that they were born to live. Of course, some stay friendly after release. I still have a relationship with the 2 singletons that I released. Outside almost 5 yrs for one... 2 years for the other. It will be weeks or even months of not seeing them and they reappear. They will climb on my shoulder and want treats. They even go inside the house with me. They do NOT want me to touch them. They will even bite if I do. They are both readily identifiable by a notched ear on one and a 3 inch tail on the other. Both of these girls were nurtured and cuddled as singletons but it didn't make them want to stay with me.

By all means I would get her a cage mate if you have that opportunity. They always do better when released with a friend. They love to play also. They are very kitten like as they grow up. It keeps them occupied when you're not there. As would be expected pairs or groups bond more to each other than to their human.

I'm not a rehabber in the strictest sense of the word so my ways aren't exactly, by the book. Some rehabbers interact very little with them other than to feed them. When they put them in the release cage they interact with them even less. I guess location is an important factor. You wouldn't want a squirrel that is too people friendly if you are releasing in a neighborhood with a dense population of people. That could be a problem if a squirrel approaches a person or climbs on them.

I will add one last thing, there is the rare squirrel that won't accept release. They just won't go. They seem very content to live in the home and have their food brought to them. These are most definitely the exception. I know of a few but I personally have never had one that wanted to stay when given the opportunity to be free. I wouldn't worry about that. It not common at all.

5. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

cava (03-24-2018), Jen413 (03-24-2018), Mel1959 (03-24-2018), Nancy in New York (03-24-2018), Snicker Bar (03-24-2018), Toddy (03-24-2018)

Two quotes from HRT4SQRLS:

I have released many. Some very friendly... others not so much. Whether friendly or feisty they mostly all want to go when they climb that first tree.
    It's almost like watching a switch click in their head. For most, there is no turning back. They want freedom and to live the life that they were born to live. Of course, some stay friendly after release. I still have a relationship with the 2 singletons that I released. Outside almost 5 yrs for one... 2 years for the other. It will be weeks or even months of not seeing them and they reappear. They will climb on my shoulder and want treats. They even go inside the house with me. They do NOT want me to touch them. They will even bite if I do. They are both readily identifiable by a notched ear on one and a 3 inch tail on the other. Both of these girls were nurtured and cuddled as singletons but it didn't make them want to stay with me.
    I'm not a rehabber in the strictest sense of the word so my ways aren't exactly, by the book
    Ummmm, yes you ARE, and your advice is perfect.
    I am one of those hands-off rehabbers because I am always raising to release, and I can confirm everything HRT4SQRLS has said about how there is a 'toggle switch' in their little brains, untouched by millennia of living with or around humans, that tells them "You are wild --- get out of there and GO!" THey may return for treats, yes, but many of them will GO and never look back. Even ones I released who had spent over a year with families here in the Bronx, watching TV and eating Doritos on the couch.....
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

7. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

cava (03-24-2018), Mel1959 (03-24-2018), Snicker Bar (03-24-2018), Toddy (03-24-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Snicker Bar View Post
    With her, I need to read/study how to care for her, nurture her etc. The do’s and don’ts I guess, in raising a keeper vs a releasable baby. And what do I do, if we do everything correctly, and she doesn’t want to leave? Does that happen ?

Here's an excellent link that cava posted about getting touchy with your babies.
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...ies&highlight=
    I always am very touchy with my babies. I keep them all in the kitchen with me
    so I can watch them, and they get used to sights and sounds around them.
    Like what's been said, a switch goes on, and at times, I can barely put a food bowl
    in without the fear of loosing a finger.

I have only had one who refuses to leave. He'll be going on 8 this year.
    He always had an "open door" policy with the squirreled out garage through the day,
    and the garage door always open so he could come and go.
    He would climb on the inside of the door to come in at night
    so I always brought him back in.

The interesting thing about Fluffer is that I couldn't give him the
    time that I usually do with my squirrels. I had Jeffrey at the time,
    and Magenta's 4, so Fluffer sort of took the "back seat".

Here's some pictures of Fluffer inside and outside.
    Most of the time he would run around to the back, and cling
    to the screen door wanting to come back inside.
    He rarely went further from the maple tree which is about 30 feet
    from the garage.
    Post #532
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...ht=Magenta%27s

I think if you can get some buddies for you little one, that would be
    the best possible advice I could give.

I LOVE how you think ahead and plan what will be in the best interest of your little one.
    Last edited by Nancy in New York; 03-24-2018 at 08:32 AM.

9. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

cava (03-24-2018), PennyCash (03-24-2018), Snicker Bar (03-24-2018), Toddy (03-24-2018)

Thanks for these links, and many words of affirmation she WILL want to be wild. The others here , I guess with their issues , maybe sensed they were vulnerable (?) I don’t know; but they never became “wildish” that I could tell. They bonded to me ( and girls) as if they knew they would need us for survival, literally. The exception is Fat Dandies; I do feel guilt now, that I didn’t research this plan for her. The rehabber I help brought her with the very wrecked baby Doodles ( but Dandy only had a blind eye). She said these two aren’t likely going to make it. She said the blind one maybe, but she won’t last long with all the hawks we have around here ( rural MS) . Plus Doodles was so attached to her foster sister. So I just trusted her expert opinion. But now, sometimes Dandies looks outside at the trees and I feel AWFUL, worry she’s thinking why didn’t you ?? But it’s too late now, and Doodles has to have her porker sister to keep her warm. I am trying to bring Dandies in more, for interaction in the back of house where Snickers plays. I keep their big room rearranged with fresh logs, limbs etc. She frisks and plays, but sometimes that silent stare outside gets to me.

Ok! Will study these , and loved the Fluffer perch (?)! And cage pics. I had read the “Get Touchy with Baby” loved it ; been talking and washing her with finger rubs. I’ll be contacting the rehabber today and get the friend stat. Penelope’s eyes have been open two days now, so I don’t want to lose any window of making firiends time . I talked to the in laws last night and have permission to use their place for a release cage set up , feeding station etc. ( and a perch like Fluffer’s!) We
    just need to study the set ups ; I’ll check the links. Their house is just down the road; set back in a woods. It’s a tree squirrel paradise ( no Flyers anymore though ) As old folks do, they sit and watch, talk to them, feed nuts etc. So this will be perfect I’m thinking ! We have too many cattle dogs, barn cats etc. But I can go to their place daily and I’m sure they will enjoy helping.
    Thanks for the info

11. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Snicker Bar:

cava (03-24-2018), Nancy in New York (03-24-2018)