Thread: Possible Malocclusion?

JslMcFuzz Guest

Default Possible Malocclusion?

I recently made a post about sneezing in the wrong category. I hope it's right this time! 😬

So after finding it odd that my otherwise healthy baby has begun sneezing frequently, I've scoured the web for info. It lead me to looking in the mouth. Previously, her sneezing was just sneezing. Today her nose seemed to be wet with what appears to be a clear discharge and she is working her mouth strangely. My husband helped me examine her mouth more closely, and I must say,Gert was a great patient, but her teeth look crazy! My husband has been watching YouTube videos insisting that we need to clip her teeth. I would like to show this forum her teeth before any clipping is made. Her teeth look nothing like her sisters. It also appears that there might be a hole, or a sore, in the roof of Gert's mouth. She is overall fine, though, just sneezy, snotty, and working her mouth in a semi-strange way.

I read that it's possible trauma can bring about this issue and these babies did fall from about 20+ feet. Any thoughts will be appreciated.....
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to JslMcFuzz:

Jen413 (03-18-2018), LR (03-18-2018), SophieSquirrel (03-18-2018)

Default Re: Possible Malocclusion?

Oh yes, those are funky looking teeth. The sneezing can definitely be caused by the teeth especially if a hole is in the palate. That is always a clear indication that the teeth need trimming. Sometimes they will tilt the head backwards while eating because the teeth are poking the roof of the mouth.

I will have to defer to those with experience. I have never trimmed teeth but I'm sure someone that has will be along to give advice about trimming.

4. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Jen413 (03-18-2018), LR (03-18-2018), SophieSquirrel (03-18-2018), Toddy (03-18-2018)

Is the area I circled the hole? Could this be a cleft palate in addition to long teeth of do you think the teeth created the hole! I think her teeth definitely need to be trimmed. Are the bottoms always spread like that? How large is that hole? Sorry so many questions. I have a NR with teeth that require regular trimming and he also had a hole in his palate but it was further back.

Name:  DED48659-74C1-407B-B27F-3F080AFA2EC8.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  442.1 KB

To trim his teeth I do just as you did by burritoing him. Stick the dowel behind the teeth to keep the tongue and gums out of the way then use jewelry cutters to cut each tooth individually. Then you can file them. I’ll be back with a link that helped me when I first started.

“You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.” ― John Bunyan

Sammy's TSB Thread Marvin and Charlie's TSB Thread Sadie's TSB Thread

6. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Jen413:

LR (03-18-2018), Nancy in New York (03-18-2018), SophieSquirrel (03-18-2018)

Here’s the website I read over that gave me a lot of info if you need it.

http://www.mary.cc/squirrels/trimteeth.htm

“You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.” ― John Bunyan

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Jen413:

Nancy in New York (03-18-2018), SophieSquirrel (03-18-2018)

JslMcFuzz Guest

Thank you, Jen413, for the link! We just trimmed the teeth and all seems well for now. I am very confident that the teeth needed trimmed but I honestly do not know what this hole in her mouth is. I have a new picture that I'm going to include. I can't say if the teeth made this place or it's a deformity. I can say that one of the teeth was sticking into the area for sure, with the other lower tooth just shy of stabbing the mouth hole too. The teeth are just slightly separated normally but my picture may have shown a further separation while we examed her. Her top teeth are extremely off as well. One almost grows behind the other. I told my husband that he has purchased 4 sets of braces for our children, one more set for our foster baby wouldn't hurt. 😋
    Attached Images Attached Images  

10. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to JslMcFuzz:

cava (03-18-2018), Jen413 (03-18-2018), LR (03-18-2018), Mel1959 (03-18-2018), SophieSquirrel (03-18-2018)

Is it an actual hole or maybe just where her teeth have caused a sore? In this picture it looks more like it’s from the teeth irritating/stabbing her. The first looked like a deep hole. I’d watch and see if her sneezing stops and watch that area of her mouth to see if it’s healing. Do you have access to a safe vet? How old is she. Hopefully a few trimmings will allow the teeth to correct themselves.

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Jen413:

LR (03-18-2018), SophieSquirrel (03-18-2018)

You didn’t say how old this little one is or if she was to be released this spring or not? At this point she is non-releasable until her teeth grow properly. Sometimes with regular trimming the teeth will come into better alignment and then she could be released. Do you have a vet that will see her if the hole in her mouth becomes a problem?

14. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

cava (03-18-2018), Jen413 (03-18-2018), LR (03-18-2018), redwuff (03-18-2018), SophieSquirrel (03-18-2018)

JslMcFuzz Guest

Mel1959, this little one is about 9weeks old. I had planned to release in May. As of right now, I've had one vet turn us away. I had called a local vet on Saturday, (mine was closed), to question if they would take a listen to her due to her sneezing. I'm actually going in to see my vet tomorrow about neutering my dog. I plan to ask how he feels about seeing my twins.

Jen413, I kind of believe it is a sore or scabby spot. I too thought it was a hole previously. Now that this has come about, my husband and I are considering the possibility that she's a keeper. if that is the case, what about her sister? Would I release her still or keep them together?

16. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to JslMcFuzz:

Jen413 (03-19-2018), LR (03-18-2018), SophieSquirrel (03-18-2018)

If it was me I think I would make the decision to release the sister after I had a little more knowledge of how Gert does with some regular teeth trimming. Maybe the teeth will line up in the next few months and they can go together.

18. 7 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

cava (03-19-2018), island rehabber (03-18-2018), Jen413 (03-19-2018), LR (03-18-2018), Nancy in New York (03-18-2018), SophieSquirrel (03-18-2018)

This is one area where I have extensive experience. The angle at which the upper incisors are growing are possibly from an early injury and (Class II Malocclusion) mandibular brachygnathism. Not likely to correct with self trimming and probably not even with occlusal planing using a dental handpeice by an expert in rodent dentistry (Crossley Method). Surgical intervention may or may not correct this and there are only a handful of vets that know how to do this. Dr Emerson is one of them and Dr. Hoefer (NY) is another. That soft tissue injury probably caused by the opposing lower molar may have an infection and antibiotics may be necessary - I don't like the swelling of the upper lips. If you do not have access to a vet to trim under sedation continue to self-trim. Your after trim photo shows you did a fine job but this won't self-correct. Without expert surgical correction IMO she is NR. And without regular trimming she will quickly die in the wild due to inability to eat.

Example of Classic Class II Malocclusion in a Rat
    Courtesy of Research Gate

(A) Representative rat with class II malocclusion. The lower left incisor deviates to the left side of the animal, resulting in widening between the mandibular incisors (sub category 2). The white arrow indicates the lower left incisor. (B) Corresponding radiograph of rat. The white arrow indicates the lower left incisor. Note that the jaws are well aligned.

Name:  A-Representative-rat-no-21-with-class-II-malocclusion-in-cisor-overbite-The.png
Views: 109
Size:  466.3 KB

20. 8 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SophieSquirrel:

4Puddles (03-18-2018), cava (03-18-2018), Jen413 (03-19-2018), LR (03-19-2018), Mel1959 (03-19-2018), Nancy in New York (03-18-2018), Toddy (03-19-2018)

JslMcFuzz Guest

Wow... thank you, SophieSquirrel. I'm a little sad for the baby. I'm not a bit concerned about her care, as I am ready to commit to her needs, but it's just a little sad that she won't be leaving with her sister for amazing adventures.

Thank you all for the discussion. I will still discuss care with my vet today and update you on his response. I would also like to pursue a rehabbing license. I don't work outside the home. I'm a 40 year old with young teenagers that keep needing ole mom less and less. I have a good bit of time on my hands some could say.

When Myrt and Gert were little blind babies, I kept them with me at all times. I kept milk in an insulated lunch bag, hot water in a soup thermos, I kept their "travel" box in an oversized bag with a hot water bottle under it when I had to be out for more than two-3 hours at a time... I was actually at a volleyball practice and a teacher walked up to my Jeep for a friendly chat, only to discover me feeding a squirrel! LOL!👏😂

Forgive my stroll down memory lane. The news that Gert is most likely damaged just seems tragic. She and her sister play together so often... it hurts my heart thinking of their separation now. It's also sad thinking my husband caused her pain. I know it was unintentional, but still.

22. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to JslMcFuzz:

Jen413 (03-19-2018), Mel1959 (03-19-2018), Nancy in New York (03-19-2018), SophieSquirrel (03-19-2018)

Reading your story I thought I could be writing it. Only I have an "8-5". I have sat in my car at soccer practice watching through the windshield while feeding a baby, or carried them around in my bra while out on the field. LOL. I was really sad when I realized Sammy would be an NR too. Then I realized he's perfectly happy being a spoiled "house squirrel" and doesn't mind his life a bit.

I hope they both adjust to the separation easily enough.

24. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Jen413:

Nancy in New York (03-19-2018), SophieSquirrel (03-19-2018)

VERY glad to hear you are willing to commit to her long term care. Sometimes sisters in captivity bond and are happy together and sometimes one dominates and will starve the other with aggression and coveting all the food - only time will tell.

I use a medium sized Aluminum "popsicle stick" for my trims to keep pieces of the trimmed teeth from getting inside the mouth. I will post a photo of it later when I trim Winston who also has the "Mals". Winnie fell from his nest onto concrete as a baby and had severe maxillofacial injuries as a result.

Members who have read this thread: 2