Thread: Get touchy with your babies...

Default Get touchy with your babies...

Here's an excellent link on the importance of touch with babies. It references human, rat pups and worms and the effects of sensory stimulation on growth, development and ability to care for offspring.

I make a habit of simulating mommy licking during every feeding time with the tip of my finger, kind of little strokes and sometimes massage. I start at the head and work my way down the back and up the belly. By the time I get to the chest I have little legs making a scratch response and arms spread for some neck stroking.

Not only does it stimulate blood flow, but it strengthens the immune system, nervous system and supports brain growth. It supports bonding and trust and in my mind only, I think it gives baby a reason to live outside of eating and making poop. I've often wondered about the connection between failure to thrive babies and lack of physical stimulation.

Mom doesn't just feed baby and run off (in squirrels), she sleeps with them, provides warmth, jostles them, licks and manipulates their body throughout the day and night. So, while it may be convenient to feed, potty and put plump sleeping baby back in the bin, remember to stimulate baby's other senses, especially touch and temperature. A mommy wouldn't let baby lay in a snug corner and sleep for 24 hours without stimulation and neither should we.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2865952/

2. 16 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cava:

CritterMom (03-17-2018), Diggie's Friend (05-17-2018), island rehabber (03-27-2018), Jen413 (03-17-2018), Jennefer (03-17-2018), Lighten-Up (03-28-2018), lukaslolamaus (03-17-2018), Mel1959 (03-17-2018), missPixy (03-28-2018), Mommas Munchkins (04-01-2018), Nancy in New York (03-17-2018), RamaMama (03-17-2018), SammysMom (03-17-2018), Snicker Bar (03-17-2018), SophieSquirrel (03-17-2018), SugarMom (03-17-2018)

Default Re: Get touchy with your babies...

I always snuggle and love my babies. I often snuggle them in their blankets on my chest when they are little so they can feel my heart beat and warmth. I’ve always wanted my babies to feel my love for them. I would never be able to do this with more than a handful of babies though. I don’t know how some of you find enough hours in the day with the amount of babies you have. Y’all are my heroes! With the exception of Vin and Charlie I’ve only had Singleton’s!

“You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.” ― John Bunyan

Sammy's TSB Thread Marvin and Charlie's TSB Thread Sadie's TSB Thread

4. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Jen413:

cava (03-18-2018), Mel1959 (03-18-2018), Nancy in New York (03-18-2018), Snicker Bar (03-18-2018), SophieSquirrel (03-28-2018)

Linram22 Guest

Red face Re: Get touchy with your babies...

Hi, I read your post and you mention only having singletons. I have a 5 week old baby right now. He is doing well, eating and growing and over all doing really well. I am worried about him “growing up” alone. When he is released, will he have trouble adjusting to life with other squirrels?

I make sure to cuddle him and give him warmth like you mentioned. I want to do what is best for him so when it is time (which by the way, exactly when is the right time to begin the process of releasing him) he can live out in the wild.

any help is appreciated!

Lina

6. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Linram22:

cava (03-27-2018), missPixy (03-28-2018), SophieSquirrel (03-28-2018)

Hi there. Well, two or more is great because they stimulate one another and help stay warm together, etc. But sometimes you have just one and that's ok, it happens. And yes, baby can be released alone and can be just as successful as a group of siblings.

I suggest you start your own new thread in The Nursery. You'll get more exposure and the thread can be dedicated to your little one. You can show us photos and keep a nice record of his progress and release. We can also advise you on how and when to release, his diet, etc.

8. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cava:

island rehabber (03-27-2018), Nancy in New York (03-28-2018), SophieSquirrel (03-28-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Linram22 View Post
    Hi, I read your post and you mention only having singletons. I have a 5 week old baby right now. He is doing well, eating and growing and over all doing really well. I am worried about him “growing up” alone. When he is released, will he have trouble adjusting to life with other squirrels?

I make sure to cuddle him and give him warmth like you mentioned. I want to do what is best for him so when it is time (which by the way, exactly when is the right time to begin the process of releasing him) he can live out in the wild.

any help is appreciated!

Lina
    Hi Lina, and welcome to The Squirrel Board!
    It is always, always better for a baby squirrel to be raised with at least one other so that he knows he is a squirrel. Juveniles "play-fight" and tumble all day long, which sharpens their coordination and reflexes in preparation for a life in the trees. If you can find a squirrel rehabber in your area with other babies his age, I would encourage you to consider giving your baby to them so he might have the best chance of success in the wild, in the hands of an experienced person.
    If that's not possible, you will want to nurture him for about the first 8 weeks of his life. Once he is old enough for a cage you can rough-house with him (might want to wear gloves for this ) and feed him through the bars of the cage, to minimize contact a bit. At 12-14 weeks he will most likely "wild up", and at four months old he can be soft-released.
    There is a lot of info on this Board about the whole process, so why not start a new thread in the Nursery for your little guy and we can all help you through the process?
    Oh yeah -- we LOVE pix!

EDIT: cava, Great Minds Think Alike, at the exact same moment
    Last edited by island rehabber; 03-27-2018 at 01:44 PM.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

SophieSquirrel (03-28-2018)