Thread: Infection in skin around eye

Default Infection in skin around eye

I think this dog needs an antibiotic. Can someone breakdown 500mg Amoxicillin tablet for 21 lb dog please?

The skin around eye has "thickened", is very pink/red, before wiping it off with warm water there was a yellowish discharge . Kicking myself now for not getting a picture before it was cleaned...what do y'all think?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: Infection in skin around eye

I'd be inclined to try a Triple Antibiotic Opthalmic ointment with Hydrocortisone
    topically before resorting to oral ab's.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

And the other eye is fine?

Did he get injured, get anything in his eye, does he have a history of allergies, etc? Has this happened before?

Sorry, brain dead last night but really concerned about my old boy. He turned 16 this past January and has a life long history of sensitive/ allergy skin reactions. Terminex came in and did their yearly check /spray. We had moved every one out to husbands garage office and cleaned surfaces and any thing the animals might have access to including shampooing couch and chair in living and moping floors before they were moved back in. Every one was/is fine except Buddy. Skin got pick and puffy/itchy from his nose to his tail. Diphenhydramine is what is usually prescribed for him so....we went through benadryl twice a day for a week along with baths every other day or so to remove debris that might increase itch factor. Skin is back to normal all except this place around his eye. ...and Now it's goopy yellow/ green....

5. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to LR:

cava (03-16-2018), Diggie's Friend (03-18-2018), Nancy in New York (03-16-2018)

Do you have some type of ophthalmic antibiotic ointment or drops? I know that Bausch & Lomb sells a small bottle of drops called Alaway that has a type of antihistamine in it for allergies, but that wouldn’t address the discharge unless the discharge is just from the inflammation.

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

LR (03-16-2018)

I don't have. Any particular type I should look for? Pharmacy? Wal-Mart? Pet store? And I'll be on my way to get it....

The stuff I have was from an eye doctor. I think I would ask a pharmacist his recommendation. I know I’ve also gotten eye ointment from a vet, as well.

Thanks Mel. I'll head for the pharmacy. If they don't have something the pharmacist thinks will work, Buddy will just have to take another trip to the vet. They all recognize him by name now after so many years but he still shakes when he figures out where we're at...🙄

11. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to LR:

cava (03-16-2018), Mel1959 (03-16-2018), Nancy in New York (03-18-2018)

I would take him to the vet, it can be any type of bacteria and if you don't get the correct antibiotic for it it may get really bad. I wouldn't mess around with the eyes with a dog since the vets take care of them. Also, always make sure you give them the full course of antibiotics or it can come back with a vengeance. Also, the bacteria becomes immune to the antibiotic. Just my thoughts

13. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Homefreesoon:

cava (03-16-2018), Nancy in New York (03-18-2018)

Homefreesoon I welcome all thoughts and ideas. Thank you. And the old dog went to the vet and the husband went to Urgent Care for flu and asthma last night. Both of them are are doing better tonight.

15. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to LR:

cava (03-18-2018), Mel1959 (03-18-2018), Nancy in New York (03-18-2018)