Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Diarrhea, lethargy and no progress on weight gaining

Default Re: Diarrhea, lethargy and no progress on weight gaining

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    Exactly he's lost 10 grams in a week.
    What city do you live in?
    Sk1307, do you want us to see if we can find a rehabber near you?
    Did you go to the vet that SophieSquirrel suggested?

I live in Fort Wayne. I’ve looked but had no luck finding a squirrel rehabber. There was one on the DNR list, but she no longer accepts them. I went to a different vet but he said it was an excellent vet that is recommended for wildlife.

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Sk1307:

Nancy in New York (03-15-2018), SophieSquirrel (03-15-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by cava View Post
    If he will take food, try offering it and build him back up to what he should be receiving. He can't afford to lose any more weight. Make fresh batches and go slow. You may offer hydration in between feedings but not in place of. It's important he stays hydrated while on antibiotics.

spectinomycin--is that correct? I looked it up and it says it's a gonorrhea injectable medicine not available in the U.S.

Also, did your vet say he had pneumonia?
    He told me he prescribed an anti diarrheal and antibiotics. Yes, that is what it is called. That is weird. Yes, he did.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Sk1307 from:

SophieSquirrel (03-15-2018)

spectinomycin--is that correct?
    Wondering if it is streptomycin?

6. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

cava (03-15-2018), Nancy in New York (03-15-2018), SophieSquirrel (03-15-2018), stepnstone (03-15-2018)

That makes WAY more sense!

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cava from:

That makes WAY more sense!
    Yes, it does...but better check that bottle and make sure the pharmacy GAVE you streptomycin, NOT spectinomycin!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

SophieSquirrel (03-15-2018), stepnstone (03-15-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    Yes, it does...but better check that bottle and make sure the pharmacy GAVE you streptomycin, NOT spectinomycin!
    It says spectinomycin.. weird lol I wonder if it was a typo. Idk why a vet would have illegal gonnorhea meds

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Sk1307 from:

Quote Originally Posted by Sk1307 View Post
    It says spectinomycin.. weird lol I wonder if it was a typo. Idk why a vet would have illegal gonnorhea meds
    Have you given this yet?
    If not, let me direct someone to your thread, before you do, ok?

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

I have never heard of combining 3 drugs like this before. This baby needs Baytril or Clavamox. Is there any way of getting just one of those meds?
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

16. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

cava (03-15-2018), SophieSquirrel (03-15-2018)

Spectinomycin is correct. Even though it isn't used in the US it is still used in other countries. It is also used in veterinary medicine. It is an excellent antibiotic but it is an older antibiotic so it has been replaced by newer and better antibiotics in the US in human practice. It is similar to the aminoglycocides like gentamicin, amikacin and tobramycin.

Just because it was used to treat gonorrheae at one time that doesn't mean it's the only thing it treats. It is an antibiotic that has coverage for Gram negative organisms.
    Combining the antibiotics is no different from stacking. I believe the 3rd component is something for the GI tract.

18. 7 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

cava (03-15-2018), Diggie's Friend (03-25-2018), Mel1959 (03-15-2018), Nancy in New York (03-15-2018), SophieSquirrel (03-15-2018), stepnstone (03-15-2018), Toddy (03-15-2018)

How are things going with this little guy? I saw you asked several posts back about the formula. Don’t change the formula, keep him on the goats milk formula. It’s the easiest for him to digest. He can’t afford to lose any weight during a formula transition. Don’t substitute hydration for a feeding. Offer hydration in between feedings.

THANK YOU HRT! It’s GREAT to hear that the Rx the vet gave you is a good one. Follow his directions.

20. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Nancy in New York (03-15-2018), SophieSquirrel (03-15-2018), Toddy (03-15-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    I believe the 3rd component is something for the GI tract.
    Correct, metoclopramide is an antiemetic (prevents nausea and vomiting).

Hope this little guy feels better soon!

22. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to gbrown:

HRT4SQRLS (03-15-2018), Mel1959 (03-15-2018), SophieSquirrel (03-15-2018), Toddy (03-15-2018)

I talked with Sky and sadly her little boy passed. We need to focus on helping her with her girl. Sky has experience with other species and raised a baby cottontail successfully which in and of itself deserves an award. I think we can talk her through this as no rehabbers are available in her area, I went down that road last summer.

Dr. L in Indy was too far so she want to another one in her area that is also in my book of recommended vets.

Spectinomycin is used for bovine, pigs & poultry but I am not sure about applicability for squirrels or that I would personally use it. I don't want to advise against any vet's prescription. Others may want to chime in.

Spectinomycin is indicated for use via the oral and parenteral routes, often in conjunction with lincomycin, in the treatment of a variety of enteric, respiratory and other infections of cattle, sheep, pigs and poultry. In veterinary medicine spectinomycin is used as hydrocloride and sulphate salts.

I’m sorry to hear the little boy passed. RIP little guy . There could have been a multitude of issues. Sky needs to stay the course with the little girl. If she’s doing well on the goatsmilk formula then she shouldn’t change it till she’s a little older. At that time she could then do 50/50 Esbilac or FV. IMO.

25. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Nancy in New York (03-15-2018)

Thank you for all of your help. Even before the issue with the pneumonia, he wasn’t taking food during feedings. I tried feeding him but he wasn’t swallowing. I’m just glad he’s not suffering anymore

I’ve continued Gmf with my girl and she’s been doing good. I used less heavy whipping cream, because I was informed it could be the cause of the diarrhea. I only put a couple drops in the mixture. Her stool has been getting better. It’s not back to as firm as before, but it is coming out in one piece and it isn’t too loose.

Quote Originally Posted by Sk1307 View Post
    Thank you for all of your help. Even before the issue with the pneumonia, he wasn’t taking food during feedings. I tried feeding him but he wasn’t swallowing. I’m just glad he’s not suffering anymore

I’ve continued Gmf with my girl and she’s been doing good. I used less heavy whipping cream, because I was informed it could be the cause of the diarrhea. I only put a couple drops in the mixture. Her stool has been getting better. It’s not back to as firm as before, but it is coming out in one piece and it isn’t too loose.
    How much is your little girl taking at each feeding?

Here's a photo of a 1 cc syringe, where is the mark on this, that she's consuming at one feeding?
    I just want to double check because sometimes people get confused.

28. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

SophieSquirrel (03-16-2018), Toddy (03-16-2018)

Great chart Nancy!

Sky, can you post her weight in grams on here? You should receive the 1 mL O-Ring syringe and Miracle Nipple I sent you tomorrow. I also sent here a bag of 20/50. Due to diarrhea issues possibly from H W Cream any thoughts from other members on mixing 20/50 with Goats Milk? I've always used formulas & combinations (FV/ESB) vs straight "milks" and GM spoils quickly & easily.

This small Pyrex measuring cup can be found at any supermarket. It goes with the stainless warming cup I sent you to mix and measure your formula.

Name:  rrr.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  46.9 KB

30. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SophieSquirrel:

Mel1959 (03-16-2018), Nancy in New York (03-16-2018), Sk1307 (03-16-2018), Toddy (03-16-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    How much is your little girl taking at each feeding?

Here's a photo of a 1 cc syringe, where is the mark on this, that she's consuming at one feeding?
    I just want to double check because sometimes people get confused.

I feed her 1.4cc so I fill the syringe completely once, then fill it again to 0.4cc

32. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Sk1307 from:

SophieSquirrel (03-16-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by SophieSquirrel View Post
    Great chart Nancy!

Sky, can you post her weight in grams on here? You should receive the 1 mL O-Ring syringe and Miracle Nipple I sent you tomorrow. I also sent here a bag of 20/50. Due to diarrhea issues possibly from H W Cream any thoughts from other members on mixing 20/50 with Goats Milk? I've always used formulas & combinations (FV/ESB) vs straight "milks" and GM spoils quickly & easily.

This small Pyrex measuring cup can be found at any supermarket. It goes with the stainless warming cup I sent you to mix and measure your formula.

I would do that, but I wouldn't add the HC back into the GM formula
    since the 20/50 FV has higher fat.
    I think if we go this route we do so slowly.
    I also wonder if we should go with the powdered GM until
    a switch over to all FV 20/50 which would be somewhere down the line.
    Not sure when though.

34. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

Mel1959 (03-16-2018), SophieSquirrel (03-16-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by SophieSquirrel View Post
    Great chart Nancy!

As of yesterday night, she weighs 29.98g

36. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Sk1307 from:

Nancy in New York (03-16-2018)

I used esbilac/GMF before I transitioned to Esbilac/FV 50/50 last fall. Baby did great on it with no issues. I've got a baby that has had diarrhea that is starting to resolve itself and she is on GMF with no HC and my FV came in last night and I've started her with GMF/FV 75/25 and she's still holding where she was with the poop issue. I've also got her on the brac diet as well.

“You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.” ― John Bunyan

Sammy's TSB Thread Marvin and Charlie's TSB Thread Sadie's TSB Thread

38. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Jen413:

Mel1959 (03-16-2018), Nancy in New York (03-16-2018), SophieSquirrel (03-16-2018), Toddy (03-16-2018)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast