Thread: Sneezing? Any advice?

JslMcFuzz Guest

Default Sneezing? Any advice?

Hello everyone! Naturally I'm here visiting you fine folks because I have acquired a pair of baby squirrels. Maybe I should start from the beginning?

You see, my husband is a communications worker and he destroyed a nest of Eastern Greys on Jan 29th, 2018. Mom wasn't present and they were nesting in a cable enclosure on the phone cable putting a customer out of service. He had no idea the babies were in there until they fell about 20 feet to the ground below. He climbed down and assessed the situation. A pair of hairless, blind babies lay in the dead weeds. He thought they would surely die. He left them on the ground and finished his work.

It was only about 20 degrees that day. 1 hour later, he was finished and the babies were still alive, but it was time for him to leave. That's when he took a picture of the babies and texted me. It was so cold that day. I couldn't stand the thought of him leaving them to freeze. We were certain the fall alone was enough to kill them, but to freeze while you wait on internal injuries to kill you just seemed like torture. I thought I could make the babies comfortable if they must go. This is when I found your forum.

I warmed my twins. I rehydrated them. Every 2 hours around the clock.... I felt like a new mommy again with sleep deprivation! But I worked so hard....I determined them to be close to 2weeks old when they fell. I knew they would die. I expected them to be dead at every feeding. My goal was just to keep them comfy. Almost 7 weeks later... they are still alive!

My goal is now to release them this May. But I'm still taking this one feeding at a time! LOL!👏😂! I do have a question... one of my girls has started sneezing. I don't hear a clicking sound, but I'm still worried about aspiration pneumonia. They eat sometimes ferociously and they actually suck the plunger on the syringe up. Sometimes it just seems unavoidable that they get a little choked. I called a vet in my area today to see if they would have a listen but they turned me down. And now, just like when my human babies were infants, it's the weekend and I'm watching and worried until Monday. 😬 Any advice on the sneezing?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to JslMcFuzz from:

redwuff (03-18-2018), Toddy (03-17-2018)

Default Re: Sneezing? Any advice?

Hi there and welcome to the squirrel board, from one Kentuckian to another!

Well, great job, I must say. Flick your hubby on the ear for me, though.

How long has the sneezing been going on? Is it impeding the ability to suck/swallow--like it is stuffed totally up? Is there mucus/discharge and if so, what color? How's the appetite?

Someone may recommend you start her on antibiotics. If so, do you have access to, or any left over, doxycycline or augmenten/clavamox or cipfrofloxicin/baytril (human/animal)?

Once you get this problem resolved, I want to hear all about your release cage and plans. (I'm releasing four soon too!)

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cava:

redwuff (03-18-2018), Toddy (03-17-2018)

JslMcFuzz Guest

I just realized that I should have started my thread in another place. Please pardon my mistake. I'm new at this, and I'm using my iPhone so maybe that's how I over looked that little detail.

The sneezing got noticed yesterday. It seems to have picked up in frequency today or maybe I've just paid more attention to it. There doesn't seem to be any drainage or visible mucus. Eating is still really good. They are both active and playful. If I had to be extremely critical, I'm going to say that her breathing might possibly be a little quicker or more noticeable. My husband agrees that she seems like she's stuffed up.
    But keep this in mind, we actually try not to handle the babies too much. Up until now, I've only fed them, cleaned them, and put them to bed. I've been trying to avoid too much affection in fear of it being harder for them to be real squirrels again. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to keep them as my girls, but it seems almost selfish of me. Naturally, I am prepared to provide as much care as possible for as long as needed, but my goal is to give them back a normal squirrel life as can be achieved.

If antibiotics are a real possibility, I have a few human pills on hand that have been left over due to changes and the occasional missed dose, etc.... I have Amoxicillin 500mg, Clarithromycin 500mg, Cefdinir 300mg, and Augmentin 500mg.

My 12 year old daughter named the twins Myrt and Gert. Myrtle and Gertrude McFuzz. Myrt and Gert sleep in a 40gal fish tank beside my bed. They have soft bedding that is squirrel fingers and toes friendly and a heating pad under one side. About 6-8 hours a day, they play in a three tier rat cage that is probably 40inches tall and roughly 28-30 inches wide. My husband and I live in a wooded area and have considered building a simple enclosure from which they would transition to the wild from. I expect to allow them to come and go as they feel comfortable when the time is right.

6. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to JslMcFuzz:

cava (03-17-2018), Mel1959 (03-17-2018), stepnstone (03-17-2018)

Welcome . You’ve done a great job with your girls! If you find your girl needs an antibiotic the Augmentin will work. By chance are there any trees budding out that could be producing pollen in your area?

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

JslMcFuzz Guest

Thanks, Mel1959! I imagine this will be one of the most rewarding projects I've ever tackled.

Since you mention it, there are a few trees waking up. The Bradford pears look fantastic right now too. The twins are rolling each other all over their tank right now. They don't act like sickly babies at all... just the frequent sneezing. If she doesn't exhibit any change, how long would you recommend I go before addressing the sneezing? I imagine if it's some type of infection, another symptom will manifest? How quickly do squirrels change from seemingly healthy to dreadfully ill? Would appetite change first in most cases?

I would also like to thank Cava for the kind reply to this post earlier as well! I really do appreciate all the help and information this site offers. You people here are amazing! I am sure it can be difficult seeing some of us new squirrel parents venture through.

In the short time that I've had my special house guests, I can't believe some people! I've had friends of various family members (and some friends of my own) ask for 1 or both of my babies as pets, offer to buy them, tell me they will take them off my hands once I wean them, and (my personal fave) that I should just let them die if that's what nature intended. <--- insert eyeroll there. 😬

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.