Thread: hello

th3bair4073 Guest

Default hello

Hello im new to this . I have had a squirrel since august 2017. She (skyler) is quite tame and she and my pet cat sara love each other and play together.. I know i could never release her. I have a question Im going out of town in 3 months and i'm starting to build her a area and have introduced her to this area. This area has water and tree limbs and food trays and a climbing thing so she can look out the window. I guess what i'm asking is do you think she will make it a few days on her own in that room since she is already in there all day with me checking on her a few times?! Am i even doing the right thing for her by not releasing her? I need some straight forward advice that good for her and the hole situation hear. Here are few pic of her just click the links. http://prntscr.com/ios60r http://prntscr.com/ios6cu I just want to do what is best for her i love her so much. any help would be appreciated! thanks

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to th3bair4073 from:

LR (03-09-2018)

Default Re: hello

Quote Originally Posted by th3bair4073 View Post
    Hello im new to this . I have had a squirrel since august 2017. She (skyler) is quite tame and she and my pet cat sara love each other and play together.. I know i could never release her. I have a question Im going out of town in 3 months and i'm starting to build her a area and have introduced her to this area. This area has water and tree limbs and food trays and a climbing thing so she can look out the window. I guess what i'm asking is do you think she will make it a few days on her own in that room since she is already in there all day with me checking on her a few times?! Am i even doing the right thing for her by not releasing her? I need some straight forward advice that good for her and the hole situation hear. Here are few pic of her just click the links. http://prntscr.com/ios60r http://prntscr.com/ios6cu I just want to do what is best for her i love her so much. any help would be appreciated! thanks
    Welcome to TSB th3bair
    So she is at least 8+ months old, any idea of approximate age when you found(?) her, eyes open or closed?

You state "I know i could never release her." Is this your personal feelings on wanting to keep her or because you feel she's "too tame?" If it's the latter that's just our mindset, certinally not theirs. Squirrels are wild animals with hard wired instincts, freedom is in their blood and those instincts cut loose and come into play rather quickly when they are prepared for a proper release. In captivity some may stay "tame(ish)," others can wild up and make you wish you had cut them loose. Their intended lives are to be wild free and in the trees, release should always be the consideration when possible.
    The cat is a problem regardless of how loving you think they are to each other. Cat's carry a Pasteurella bacteria in their slava that can be deadly to a squirrel, add that to a cat's natural predator instincts toward "rodents," changing circumstances and attitudes, and your looking at an accident just waiting to happen.

How long will you be gone for? Will you have no one coming in to check on her?
    Leaving a captive squirrel entirely on it's own is never a good situation, always best to have someone to supply fresh food water and have eyes on.
    Speaking of fresh food, what is her diet like? What all do you feed her?
    Last edited by stepnstone; 03-09-2018 at 02:14 AM.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

4. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

cava (03-09-2018), gunpackingrandma (03-09-2018), LR (03-09-2018), Mel1959 (03-09-2018), Toddy (03-09-2018)

Welcome to TSB!

Hi there and welcome!

It's illegal to keep a squirrel in Ohio unless you are a licensed rehabber and even then you can't keep them as pets. (Nobody is going to report you, here. Just an FYI) This will be problematic for you when you need vet care. Your cat may actually like and be playing with your squirrel but even an accidental bite can cause bit problems and could require medical attention. Squirrel bites are painful even in play. It would be understandable if your cat bit back even playfully.

Regardless of what you decide to do, definitely keep them separated. You've spent so much time making sure she lives, it would be devastating for her to die for such an avoidable reason. You're the human and have to think for the both of them. In nature, they would NEVER live together. She would be with other squirrels, having babies and running around the neighborhood.

What do you feed her? Here's a link to the squirrel food pyramid. It's important for captive squirrels who can have calcium deficiency and get a disease called Metabolic Bone Disease, which can be fatal if not treated quickly. https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels

I am not trying to scare or upset you, I promise. Just want to make sure she is safe and the biggest threats to her safety right now are Cat and Improper Diet. You've done a good job so far, keep up the good work!

7. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cava:

gunpackingrandma (03-09-2018), Toddy (03-09-2018)

Welcome. . I also have a female squirrel that was born in April of 2017. That would make her about 11 months old. I released her and her sisters in August. She was only out for a few days and took a fall and had some head trauma so I brought her back inside. She became very friendly, however, I never let her be around my cats or dog. Within the last few weeks her personality changed. She became slightly aggressive and it became very clear that I could no longer trust handling her the way I used to. Long story short...I have moved her to a release cage where she can wild up some more before release.

The point of this story is that there was a time that I was 100% certain that she would NEVER want to leave me, or her comfy life inside, for a life in the trees. As Step said, they are hard wired to be wild. You may find in a few months time that as she matures she might show signs that she wants to be free. Be alert for those changes in behavior that might indicate that and know that she can successfully be transitioned to a life in the trees. Folks on here have released squirrel “pets” that were much older than Skylar.

Oh, and I left my girl here in her cage when I made a 5 day trip recently. I had someone check on, and feed her daily. She didn’t consume a lot of the food while I was gone, but it was reassuring to have someone look in on her. The 5 days of no out of cage time, or handling, probably helped her to be a little more wild upon my return. Her cage was a triple Critter Nation cage, so she had plenty of room to climb so I didn’t feel too bad about her being contained for that period of time.

9. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

cava (03-09-2018), gunpackingrandma (03-09-2018), stepnstone (03-09-2018), Toddy (03-09-2018)

th3bair4073 Guest

I want to thank you for all the responses. I don't feel the cat issue is not a huge problem . They drink from the same water bowles and have for moths. I have read and watched so many videos and articles on how to take care of her i must have 40 hours plus invested in education. Slso my outdoor cat plays with the outside squirrels in the backyard. It a weird situation. When i first got her in August 2017 it was 1am and my husband went out to smoke a cigarette and he stepped on her lightly. he brought her to me and said what is this? (rolling my eyes) She was 4 weeks old eyes were shut and i had to dropper feed her for weeks. Now that she is 7 months old she is eating a wide variety for foods. She eats peanuts ,bananas,sunflower seeds, peanut butter, pumpkin, apples, apple sauce,pepitas,bread,frozen corn,avocado,sometimes a french fry,butternut squash,almonds, swiss cheese,strawberries, blueberries.carrots,. So she eats a lot of things. She is doing very well . She did get out for a week in December and came back into the house. she did not like it out there. So it is not like i did not try to let her out. I left her food outside and everything. I think i have come up with a solution for her while i'm gone. I'm going to squirrel proof the house and let her have the renin of it except for two rooms. Also leave a tv on for her so she can hear noise. I want to thank everyone for there help again. i will be checking back for more education on her as she gets older.

Are you sure you can squirrel proof your whole house? They chew EVERYTHING...like drywall, wood around doors, baseboards, electrical cords, etc. you might come home to some serious modifications to your house!

Also, what will you do about food for her? Does she eat any type of rodent block? It sounds like you could make some changes to her diet. The sunflower seeds, peanuts and peanut butter aren’t good for a captive squirrel. Too many nuts and seeds can lead to metabolic bone disease because they contain high phosphorous. Foods that have a 2:1 calcium to phosphorus ratio are much better for her.

I hope all goes well if you decide to leave her in the house,

12. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

cava (03-13-2018), island rehabber (03-12-2018), stepnstone (03-13-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Does she eat any type of rodent block? It sounds like you could make some changes to her diet. The sunflower seeds, peanuts and peanut butter aren’t good for a captive squirrel. Too many nuts and seeds can lead to metabolic bone disease because they contain high phosphorous. Foods that have a 2:1 calcium to phosphorus ratio are much better for her.

Here's the thing about a squirrel's nutrition that many do not comprehend...
    In the wild a squirrel eats a large variety of things not limited to vegetation nuts and seed. This can include fungi, insects, bird eggs, fruits, twigs, buds, bark, leaves, pine cones, roots, mushrooms, etc. Their natural instincts provide them the ability to know what to eat and how to eat to balance their own daily nutritional requirements. In captivity we have to balance those requirements with what we know and have learned to feed to balance those requirements. A good quality rodent block is essential to the health and survival of captive squirrels and provides all the necessary nutrients their systems require on a daily basics.
    Metabolic bone disease (MBD) is caused by a depletion of calcium generally through an inadequate diet lacking the quality required. Once the body's calcium is depleted the body leaches the calcium from their bones resulting in MBD. Their bones become brittle and can easily break. This may present itself through a sudden paralysis in the hind legs, loss of appetite, lethargy, seizures, etc. This condition may not present itself with any of these symptoms and instead as many have said and experienced " They were fine one minute playing and running around and just dropped unable to move the next." The other important thing to understand is a squirrel's natural hard wired instincts not to exhibit weakness or pain that would subject them to being preyed upon in the wild. Far too often by the time a squirrel exhibits pain/weakness detectable to us they are in serious trouble! MBD is painful, MBD kills, MBD is avoidable!

I strongly suggest you look at the healthy diet for captive squirrels and educate yourself on the nutritional requirements essential to their well being and survival as well as MBD and the importance of diet to avoid such a unnecessary life threatening disease.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

14. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

cava (03-13-2018), island rehabber (03-13-2018), Mel1959 (03-13-2018)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.