Thread: Is Motrin safe for squirrels?

Default Is Motrin safe for squirrels?

I have used Motrin to help limit pain and also as an anti-inflammatory with squirrels. I know many other rehabbers who use it and have a long track record of using it without apparent issues. At the Gathering it was brought up that the WBM says “Do NOT use any form of Ibuprofen or Napraxen in animals”.

Plums Vet Drug Handbook says “Toxic to dogs, cats, ferrets; not recommended for vet use. Primary issues include GI ulceration and possible renal, liver failure with neuorological signs including seizures”. No specific mention about rodents/squirrels.

So, are we simply ahead of the curve regarding Ibuprofen and squirrels or could we be potentially causing harm?

I figured this must have come up before but I wanted to double check again...
    Last edited by TubeDriver; 03-06-2018 at 09:07 PM.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

4Puddles (03-06-2018), Shewhosweptforest (03-06-2018)

Default Re: Is Motrin safe for squirrels?

Ibuprofen is hard on the liver from what I understand, however, I have used it and others who have no alternative have used it. It is not something that is recommended for long term, but in a pinch, I think it can be safely used short-term.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

4. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SammysMom:

4Puddles (03-06-2018), Mel1959 (03-07-2018), Shewhosweptforest (03-06-2018), TubeDriver (03-06-2018)

According to the Rat Guide, it's fine to use in rats.
    http://ratguide.com/meds/nsaids/ibuprofen.php
    In the Wild Mammal Babies book it says you can give ibuprofen
    to rabbits.
    We typically use it for such a short duration, not sure what
    the problem is.

ALWAYS important to keep an animal well hydrated when on any drugs.
    Last edited by Nancy in New York; 03-06-2018 at 09:03 PM.

6. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

Mel1959 (03-07-2018), Shewhosweptforest (03-07-2018), TubeDriver (03-06-2018)

Bricker has said it can be used short term but does not recommend it's use over 3 days, 4 the max if necessary.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

8. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

cava (03-07-2018), Diggie's Friend (06-24-2018), Mel1959 (03-07-2018), Nancy in New York (03-07-2018), Shewhosweptforest (03-07-2018), TubeDriver (03-07-2018)

Dr. Emerson’s response to the question of ibuprofen for squirrels was that there are components in ibuprofen that their systems can’t break down.

Since the WMB, third edition, states that “Tylenol is well tolerated by dogs, rodents and rabbits but NOT recommended in cats and weasels”, I’m curious why we don’t recommend infant Tylenol instead of infant ibuprofen?

10. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Diggie's Friend (06-24-2018), Nancy in New York (03-07-2018), Shewhosweptforest (03-07-2018), TubeDriver (03-07-2018)

This is all new medicine....twenty five years ago, when I worked for a vet, we were told Tylenol was deadly for dogs some fears are hard to let go of...I would never give my dogs Tylenol
    Make the world a better place...one animal at a time

The Peace of Wild Things
    BY WENDELL BERRY
    When despair for the world grows in me
    and I wake in the night at the least sound
    in fear of what my life and my children’s lives may be,
    I go and lie down where the wood drake
    rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
    I come into the peace of wild things
    who do not tax their lives with forethought
    of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
    And I feel above me the day-blind stars
    waiting with their light. For a time
    I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

12. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Shewhosweptforest:

Mel1959 (03-07-2018), Nancy in New York (03-07-2018), TubeDriver (03-07-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Since the WMB, third edition, states that “Tylenol is well tolerated by dogs, rodents and rabbits but NOT recommended in cats and weasels”, I’m curious why we don’t recommend infant Tylenol instead of infant ibuprofen?
    I'm unsure of the answer, but ibuprofen is a NSAID
    and Tylenol has little to no anti-inflammatory properties.
    I think in many cases it's the inflammation that causes pain.
    Interesting topic!

14. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

cava (03-07-2018), Mel1959 (03-07-2018), Shewhosweptforest (03-07-2018), TubeDriver (03-07-2018)

Agree ^^

Ibuprofen is an anti-inflammatory, antipyretic (reduces fever) and analgesic. Same with meloxicam/Metacam.

Tylenol is only an antipyretic and analgesic. It is not an anti-inflammatory.

We were always told by our vets that Tylenol is ok for dogs, not for cats. And neither can have ibuprofen. And that rats can have ibuprofen.

In humans, any NSAID has the potential to cause GI ulceration so even humans are instructed to use it for the shortest amount of time, the lowest effective dose. High doses and long term use can cause kidney disease.

16. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cava:

Diggie's Friend (06-24-2018), Nancy in New York (03-07-2018), Shewhosweptforest (03-07-2018)

Actually, NSAIDs aren't ever recommended for long term use, even in people. Many a person has found themselves in the ER with a massive GI bleed from long term use of NSAID's.
    I think we have a track record of safety with its use. The bottom line is that it does work extremely well. I'll have to look into the difference between Ibuprofen and Meloxicam and see if I can find a glaring problem. They are both NSAIDs and vets use Metacam all the time. Of course, a huge difference for us is the script that is required the Meloxicam making it much less accessible.

I don't discount it because of what the WMB book says. The WMB book also says don't use Clindamycin in rodents. Clindamycin is an AWESOME antibiotic and it was shunned by most rehabbers because of the WMB book. I can name many squirrels that are alive today because of Clindamycin. On the flip side I can name squirrels that died because rehabbers wouldn't use it.
    (Oh yeah, they used Baytril. ) Oops sorry, I'm very opinioned about this.... can you tell.
    There are rehabbers that to this day will not use Clindamycin because of one statement in the WMB book.

18. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Mel1959 (03-07-2018), Nancy in New York (03-07-2018), Shewhosweptforest (03-07-2018), stepnstone (03-07-2018), TubeDriver (03-07-2018)

Very true, we had a psychiatrist at work who was taking Ibuprofen for long periods and ignoring all the symptoms of GI bleed. We found him unconscious on the bathroom floor. If someone had not found him (I think his blood pressure was incredibly low), he probably would have died.

So my take home from all the statements here and my personal experience is that Ibuprofen can be used in squirrels but time course should be limited and watch out for any GI complications (black or bloody stool, bloody vomit, lethargy, weakness, panting).

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    Actually, NSAIDs aren't ever recommended for long term use, even in people. Many a person has found themselves in the ER with a massive GI bleed from long term use of NSAID's.
    I think we have a track record of safety with its use. The bottom line is that it does work extremely well. I'll have to look into the difference between Ibuprofen and Meloxicam and see if I can find a glaring problem. They are both NSAIDs and vets use Metacam all the time. Of course, a huge difference for us is the script that is required the Meloxicam making it much less accessible.

I don't discount it because of what the WMB book says. The WMB book also says don't use Clindamycin in rodents. Clindamycin is an AWESOME antibiotic and it was shunned by most rehabbers because of the WMB book. I can name many squirrels that are alive today because of Clindamycin. On the flip side I can name squirrels that died because rehabbers wouldn't use it.
    (Oh yeah, they used Baytril. ) Oops sorry, I'm very opinioned about this.... can you tell.
    There are rehabbers that to this day will not use Clindamycin because of one statement in the WMB book.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

20. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

cava (03-07-2018), Mel1959 (03-07-2018), Nancy in New York (03-07-2018), Shewhosweptforest (03-07-2018)

If you are using the chart so many of us have for ibuprophen (and benadryl) dosing, bear in mind that those dosages are calculated at 1/3 the maximum dose, which means you are dosing really conservatively to begin with. Which is good!

22. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

cava (03-07-2018), Mel1959 (03-07-2018), Nancy in New York (03-07-2018), Shewhosweptforest (03-07-2018), stepnstone (03-07-2018)

Question Re: Is Motrin safe for squirrels?

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    If you are using the chart so many of us have for ibuprophen (and benadryl) dosing, bear in mind that those dosages are calculated at 1/3 the maximum dose, which means you are dosing really conservatively to begin with. Which is good!
    hi if you see this message, could you tell me where i can get the dosing chart you mentioned?

Quote Originally Posted by prism View Post
    hi if you see this message, could you tell me where i can get the dosing chart you mentioned?
    Is your little one having problems?

Dhaddad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Dr. Emerson’s response to the question of ibuprofen for squirrels was that there are components in ibuprofen that their systems can’t break down.

What do you recommend for anti inflammatory for a 6-7 week old squirrel? Also what dose?

Quote Originally Posted by Dhaddad View Post
    What do you recommend for anti inflammatory for a 6-7 week old squirrel? Also what dose?
    If you need assistance with dosing for your squirrel, please begin a new thread in either the non emergency or emergency section so more eyes can see it and assist.

In order to dose it’s imperative to know the weight of the squirrel or a picture to guesstimate the weight and the strength of the meds. Anti inflammatories that are routinely used are metacam (meloxicam, Mobic) and infant ibuprofen. Also, please let us know what the meds are for.