Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: SEIS IN CR - Possible Urinary Issue - March 2018

Default Re: SEIS IN CR - Possible Urinary Issue - March 2018

Sorry RamaMama for not being able to help sooner.
    As long as she is urinating I wouldn't be as concerned about that.

The lack of appetite is concerning as it's a clear indicator of 'something' going on.
    Personally I would be more concerned about the breathing issues. It could indicate a progression of the 'odontoma'. ????
    I realize that we are speculating about the odontoma but the symptoms do indicate it.

With the odontoma, infection is always a concern. I would treat her with Clavamox. It will address infection in the sinuses associated with odontoma and would also treat a UTI if one exists. I would definitely discontinue the Vitamin powder until things settle down. I don't supplement with the vitamins although I will occasionally sprinkle a little calcium carbonate on the food.

I wish things could settle down for our Costa Rica friends.

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

RamaMama (03-05-2018), TubeDriver (03-04-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    I would not give Metacam until she is hydrated. Keep offering watermelon, sweetened water, any fruit with high water content to try and get her hydrated. Probably should check her teeth and mouth to make sure everything looks normal, it has been over two weeks so teeth could have grown? In people, ph of 6.5 would be considered improvement or better.

My guys like their water flavored by putting an almond or two in it (not almond flavor or anything like that). Instead of sugar, could you try just soaking a nut in the water?
    We live in a heaven created by our virtues --- Muktananda

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to JLM27 from:

RamaMama (03-05-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post

The lack of appetite is concerning as it's a clear indicator of 'something' going on.
    Personally I would be more concerned about the breathing issues. It could indicate a progression of the 'odontoma'. ????

With the odontoma, infection is always a concern. I would treat her with Clavamox.
    Thank you for all your wisdom and information.
    There are questions here about Seis's teeth and the "O".
    When we first checked where her top incisor's used to be the 'sockets' looked hollow....
    now it looks almost as if she never even had teeth.... where the sockets should be is barely visible....... I think - will look
    again when we check her bottoms for length.

How can the those top teeth simply disappear completely {and her bottom teeth appear to be healthy and continue to grow?
    Is the complete disappearance of the top teeth one of the warning signs of Odontoma?

I have 'one' Clavamox - 1000 mg > > it has a 'indentation' where it could be cut in half.

Seis weight - 603 grams

The top and bottom teeth are completely independent so you can have odontoma on the top teeth and healthy bottom teeth.
    I would think that the disappearance of the top teeth and sockets is a warning that the teeth are not healthy and are diseased or damaged. I don't think it means 100% odontoma but I would be concerned.

Double check that strength of Clavamox (1000mg?) as that is an unusual size?

If it is 1000mg, then cut in half and than cut into 1/4 tablets. Take one of the 1/4 size tablets (250mg) and crush. Add 4ml warm water and shake well until in solution. Give 0.19ml of that solution twice per day (morning and evening) for 7 days. I would give a probiotic powder mid day bewteen the two dosage times.

Since the tablet is "indented" or scored it can be cut up. Clavamox is VERY sensative to moisture and light so place in a sealed ziplock bag and store somewhere dark.

Quote Originally Posted by RamaMama View Post
    Thank you for all your wisdom and information.
    There are questions here about Seis's teeth and the "O".
    When we first checked where her top incisor's used to be the 'sockets' looked hollow....
    now it looks almost as if she never even had teeth.... where the sockets should be is barely visible....... I think - will look
    again when we check her bottoms for length.

How can the those top teeth simply disappear completely {and her bottom teeth appear to be healthy and continue to grow?
    Is the complete disappearance of the top teeth one of the warning signs of Odontoma?

I have 'one' Clavamox - 1000 mg > > it has a 'indentation' where it could be cut in half.

Seis weight - 603 grams
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

7. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

Mel1959 (03-05-2018), Toddy (03-05-2018)

Seis Update

Seis was started on Clavamox for possible sinus and UTI infections.

She is not eating much..... and has a very difficult time eating when she tries.
    Her teeth NEED trimming. We had hoped to do it tomorrow..... the Vet has once again
    run out of the "gas" and had to order more. She had a lot of emergency's.
    Hoping, shooting for FRIDAY ! Seis really needs this done NOW.

She is having such a terrible time with her breathing.... poor baby.

Bummer !
    We love her.

9. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to RamaMama:

cava (03-06-2018), LR (03-07-2018)

SEIS is such a "picky" eater, and because she is taking medication, we need to keep her extra hydrated. BUT we found that she likes pineapple juice and water 50/50, and tonight she took almost 7 cc of the juice /water mix. GOOD GIRL.

11. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stosh2010:

cava (03-07-2018), LR (03-07-2018), Toddy (03-21-2018)

Today Seis ate almost noting and drank NOTHING ! NOTHING ! !

She refused every thing.

She is having serious breathing difficulties beside her teeth being much too long {still waiting on the Vet here
    to get the Iso gas} .
    Seis now breathes almost completely through her mouth which makes eating and drinking extremely
    difficult to impossible and sleeping is rough.
    Most likely she is swallowing a lot of air and it is making her tummy bloat which can also cause pain.

I have not given her the Metacam any more.........

I am concerned about continuing the AB Clavamox since it will be given on a totally
    empty stomach and she refuses everything I try to give her with the probiotic as well.

Any suggestions out there?

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RamaMama from:

LR (03-07-2018)

I am really not sure what you can do? You have tried ABs and painkillers, that pretty much covers most of the meds you can give.

I’ll throw this idea out but I am very UNSURE about whether this is worth trying. I wonder if pred would help with swelling and help her breathing? But pred also interferes with the immune system so you might be getting short term relief but risking worse infection in the long run.

I would give Seis some nice treats in her nest area. Even if she does not eat them, it might make the squirrel in her happy to know she has some treats cached away.

Last edited by TubeDriver; 03-07-2018 at 09:37 PM.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

LR (03-07-2018)

I don't know either Rosie. Maybe Simethicone (GasX) for the swallowed air.
    Tramadol for pain... beyond that I really don't know.

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

LR (03-07-2018)

This Crew is driving me NutZ.

Yesterday it looked like Seis's time was...........
    by this afternoon she is doing better.

Although Seis still having a difficult time breathing.... she ate {esp this afternoon},
    we made her drink {right} and she has easily peed several times......
    and she is not as bloated looking as the last few days.

This morning started her BACK on the Clavamox....... and at noon gave her the Metacam.

Will keep watch and see if she stays about the same as far as eating some and peeing.....
    will make guesses as to what direction to take depending on HER.
    Her PH and Keytones are perfect.

I will be calling the Vet shortly here ----- sure hope she has the ISO GAS in today and
    early app tomorrow for Seis.

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RamaMama from:

TubeDriver (03-08-2018)

If you stopped medication and she got better could she be having a reaction to it. I am reactive to a list of antibiotics and ingestible substances and yes they affect my breathing and my tummy.
    We live in a heaven created by our virtues --- Muktananda

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to JLM27 from:

TubeDriver (03-08-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by JLM27 View Post
    If you stopped medication and she got better could she be having a reaction to it. I am reactive to a list of antibiotics and ingestible substances and yes they affect my breathing and my tummy.

Yes, I was and am wondering that too. That is why I will watch and see if the same thing happens again......... if so, I can
    have at least some reasonable thought that it could be the part of the problem. She would be taken off the med asap.
    Then another course of action may be required.

23. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RamaMama from:

TubeDriver (03-08-2018)

Seis was acting very WEIRD today, She was spending time in the newspapers that line the bottom of her cage. THAT is a First !
    She always avoids the bottom of her box. She has been lying on her side also. I had hoped it was the heat, and that some A/C would cure it.
    Just some Bizarre behavior from our pretty girl.
    Then we noticed the bubbly vomit. I looks like saliva, but with a million bubbles. ???

Name:  Seis spit 2 2323x1590.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  71.8 KBName:  Seis spit 2010x1421.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  118.1 KB

stosh go to this link.
    It's about the toxicity of some inks in newpapers.

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...ght=newspapers

26. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

RamaMama (03-21-2018), TubeDriver (03-21-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    Sorry RamaMama for not being able to help sooner.
    As long as she is urinating I wouldn't be as concerned about that.

I realize that we are speculating about the odontoma but the symptoms do indicate it.

With the odontoma, infection is always a concern. I would treat her with Clavamox. It will address infection in the sinuses associated with odontoma and would also treat a UTI if one exists. I would definitely discontinue the Vitamin powder until things settle down. I don't supplement with the vitamins although I will occasionally sprinkle a little calcium carbonate on the food.

I wish things could settle down for our Costa Rica friends.
    Seis still has little appetite. We will get a current weight tomorrow and compare to last week to see if she is losing weight.
    Her breathing difficulty is much more pronounced and he belly seems "bloated"and looks larger than is normal.
    We were wondering if we should start Seis on a round of the same meds we are starting the Dude on ??
    Both squirrels have reduced appetite, have breathing issues, and just lie around with little energy.
    WE worry so much --that we are not helping our squirrels enough.
    Seeing them having difficulties makes us anxious.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    stosh go to this link.
    It's about the toxicity of some inks in newpapers.

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...ght=newspapers
    I read the info on the newspaper ink. Thank you.

29. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stosh2010 from:

Nancy in New York (03-22-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by stosh2010 View Post
    Seis still has little appetite. We will get a current weight tomorrow and compare to last week to see if she is losing weight.
    Her breathing difficulty is much more pronounced and he belly seems "bloated"and looks larger than is normal.
    We were wondering if we should start Seis on a round of the same meds we are starting the Dude on ??
    Both squirrels have reduced appetite, have breathing issues, and just lie around with little energy.
    WE worry so much --that we are not helping our squirrels enough.
    Seeing them having difficulties makes us anxious.
    No, I wouldn't start Seis on Azithromycin. Azithromycin is a very narrow spectrum antibiotic. In the Dude's case we are trying to find 'something' 'anything' that will treat the very resistant Staph. aureus that we KNOW he has.

In Seis's case we don't know what we are treating but organisms of the respiratory tract (usual flora) would be the most likely cause of infection associated with trauma due to odontoma invasion into sinus tissues. I would use a broad spectrum antibiotic like Clavamox.

With odontoma, a bloated belly is associated with swallowed air due to mouth breathing because of sinus obstruction. Squirrels just aren't effective mouth breathers.

31. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

Toddy (03-22-2018)

And now our little Seis-y Girl.

This Thread is only 2 pages at this point. Even though the Thread sounds like it is aimed at a Urinary problem
    much info about Seis's breathing and what has been done in the last month or so are available as well.

Seis is not doing well at all and her breathing is becoming more labored. She continues to eat very little....... we
    can see that she really feels like crap and her weight went from 603 on March 5th to 583 on March 25.

She has been on Clavamox repeatedly, but not at present. .... it does little if anything.

She was struggling so much this afternoon I went ahead a dosed her with Metacam.. ... and put drops in her nose.

I know there was a urinating issue with the Meta previously and will use it very sparingly BUT I am hoping to ease
    any inflammation which may be contributing to her breathing problem.

We had hoped to get her teeth trimmed this week but our lives took a different turn and yesterday and today Vet
    not open.
    We are aiming for tomorrow, perhaps the Vet will be open but it is a long shot.. Although trimming her teeth
    might encourage her to eat a little more the breathing will continue to be a part of the problem of not eating.
    There are "times" when she will surprise us and and begin to eat the best she can............. but it is not much
    as you can see by the weight-loss.

I have chopped, mashed, liquefied and cooked her food at various times........... she refuses.
    She will drink {most of the time }a shake made of Boo Balls, FV, and water., but there are times
    when she chokes on it as well.

If anyone has any suggestions and knows of Seis's continuing problem we are open to suggestions.
    Her problem/s seem to be exacerbating exponentially. I know we are most likely asking for the
    impossible............ but, I/We simply NO LONGER KNOW WHAT TO DO ! and this is getting BAD.
    She struggles all day every day.

Does this really have to be happening now.

Rosie, when you get the teeth trimmed are you referring to the bottom incisors?
    Do the top teeth grow at all? Does she ever have white years?

34. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

Toddy (03-31-2018)

The bottoms are the ones being trimmed. There are no top teeth at all, not for many months
    not even stubs...... just sockets.

She gets squinty eyed OFTEN but I do not recall ever seeing the milky tears.

I tried to give her 1/2 and 1/2 water and pineapple juice {picky girl} and she could only
    take one drop at a time {literally}, trying to breathe between each drop. Stop for about 5 minutes so
    she could catch her breathe then start again.... but she only took about 1 1/2 cc and then
    did not want to continue.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast