Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Pinkies!! Indetification and advice needed!!

HeyHey8559 Guest

Default New to Pinkies!! Indetification and advice needed!!

Husband is an arborist and found 2 baby pinkie squirrels at work. The brother died on scene but sister seems to be doing good.
    We've had her a week now. Holly from the Holly Tree. She lost her umbilical cord just a few days ago and the very next day noticed her bottom teeth budding up. At a lost as to which she is. On schedule for an almost 2 week old, but currently only weighs 20.4 grams. Took a couple of days to get a good scale in to weigh her. She seems to be gaining slowly if any but not losing weight.
    She's been eating 1cc every 2 hours until the last day or so waiting about 3 hours or so. Urine clear and mustard colored stool, not runny. She stopped pooping for a day but a warm bath helped clear that up. Concerned though cause it changed from mustard colored to brown to a mixture of both. Been giving Pedialyte again in between feedings, just in case.
    She stays warm in her box half on the heating pad and a rice buddy every other feeding. She's sucking in between feedings on her tongue. Kinda like a feeding trance but she's asleep. I've rehabbed and released many squirrels successfully but never acquired one as young as Holly. So I'm a new momma in need of some advice reaasurance.
    It'll be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HeyHey8559 from:

LR (03-01-2018)

Default Re: New to Pinkies!! Indetification and advice needed!!

Oh my, teeny tiny. She looks good.

I just got my first FOUR tinys in the fall and it was very scary, but you can do this if you stay on the ball, which is sounds like you are.

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cava:

LR (03-01-2018)

HeyHey8559 Guest

Thank you so much! Any idea if she's a premie gray maybe or a red? She's just too little to be a normal gray.
    Also is it normal that her pooped turned colors even after she's adjusted to formula?

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HeyHey8559 from:

LR (03-01-2018)

What formula are you feeding. And how often? She looks good.

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

HeyHey8559 Guest

Stores around here were all out of Esbilac so it's on order. But using Essential Pets puppy milk replacer with colostrum. 1- 1.25 ccs every couple hours except the last day or so shes been going almost 3, her doing. We hydrated the first day or so then gradually worked her up to the formula strength needed.

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HeyHey8559 from:

LR (03-01-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by HeyHey8559 View Post
    Husband is an arborist and found 2 baby pinkie squirrels at work. The brother died on scene but sister seems to be doing good.
    We've had her a week now. Holly from the Holly Tree. She lost her umbilical cord just a few days ago and the very next day noticed her bottom teeth budding up. At a lost as to which she is. On schedule for an almost 2 week old, but currently only weighs 20.4 grams. Took a couple of days to get a good scale in to weigh her. She seems to be gaining slowly if any but not losing weight.
    She's been eating 1cc every 2 hours until the last day or so waiting about 3 hours or so. Urine clear and mustard colored stool, not runny. She stopped pooping for a day but a warm bath helped clear that up. Concerned though cause it changed from mustard colored to brown to a mixture of both. Been giving Pedialyte again in between feedings, just in case.
    She stays warm in her box half on the heating pad and a rice buddy every other feeding. She's sucking in between feedings on her tongue. Kinda like a feeding trance but she's asleep. I've rehabbed and released many squirrels successfully but never acquired one as young as Holly. So I'm a new momma in need of some advice reaasurance.
    It'll be greatly appreciated.

Here's a great link to a Bay Squirrel Guide.
    It's 6 pages long with the next button at the top right corner.
    https://www.henryspets.com/baby-squirrel-care/

What formula are you feeding?
    Is it the powdered puppy esbilac?

STOP the pedialyte.
    You should give her water with a touch of honey for taste,
    IF you think she needs it. Just remember their tummies are tiny,
    so if she's getting hydration between feedings, she may not want
    to eat as much.

What kind of container do you have her in, and is the heating pad
    UNDER the container set on low?

Do you take her weight daily? I'm glad she's not losing weight.
    What did she weigh when you first got her?
    Sometimes it seems to take a while for them to kick in and start
    gaining.
    Keep on course and ask all the questions you want.

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

LR (03-01-2018)

Stores around here were all out of Esbilac so it's on order. But using Essential Pets puppy milk replacer with colostrum. 1- 1.25 ccs every couple hours except the last day or so shes been going almost 3, her doing. We hydrated the first day or so then gradually worked her up to the formula strength needed.
    I’ve never heard of that formula. Can you get the Esbilac now? I know pinkies are fragile and I think the correct formula is essential. You can use the goats milk formula temporarily and then transition to goats milk/Esbilac when you get it. Goats milk formula: 3 parts goats milk (powdered, canned or fresh), 1 part heavy whipping cream and 1 part full fat vanilla yogurt. I think this would be a better choice than what you are feeding now, unless other members know of this Essential Pet formula and can vouch for it.

14. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

cava (03-01-2018), LR (03-01-2018), Nancy in New York (03-01-2018)

HeyHey8559 Guest

Took a few days to acquire another appropriate scale. First weight a few days ago was 19.3 and now shes up to 20.4. Its only a few drops of Pedialyte not a full feeding. I'll definitely try the water and honey though. Ive got her in a clear Tupperware like tote, heating pad under half of the container. She has a rice buddy nestled under a few baby receiving blankets. She crawls around and doesnt cry much. Prefers to be pooped laying On her side rather than hold upright.

16. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HeyHey8559:

LR (03-01-2018), Nancy in New York (03-01-2018)

Took a few days to acquire another appropriate scale. First weight a few days ago was 19.3 and now shes up to 20.4. Its only a few drops of Pedialyte not a full feeding. I'll definitely try the water and honey though. Ive got her in a clear Tupperware like tote, heating pad under half of the container. She has a rice buddy nestled under a few baby receiving blankets. She crawls around and doesnt cry much. Prefers to be pooped laying On her side rather than hold upright.
    I’m not sure how quickly pinkies gain weight, but that’s just slightly more than a gram in several days. Others with more pinkie experience should chime in.

18. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

LR (03-01-2018), Nancy in New York (03-01-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    I’ve never heard of that formula. Can you get the Esbilac now? I know pinkies are fragile and I think the correct formula is essential. You can use the goats milk formula temporarily and then transition to goats milk/Esbilac when you get it. Goats milk formula: 3 parts goats milk (powdered, canned or fresh), 1 part heavy whipping cream and 1 part full fat vanilla yogurt. I think this would be a better choice than what you are feeding now, unless other members know of this Essential Pet formula and can vouch for it.

I would do the temporary Goat's Milk formula now, like you suggested.

20. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

LR (03-01-2018), Mel1959 (03-01-2018)

HeyHey8559 Guest

Having to go into work for a couple hours, brother is babysitting dor me. He helped with a few of my other squirrels before. While I'm in town I'm picking up goats milk from whole foods and checking out the "Good" feed n seed. Formula and other supplies tracking order says delivery tomorrow, but I live in the middle of nowhere and deliveries take an extra day I've noticed.
    Thanks for all the help so far!
    Still wondering what kind she is?

22. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HeyHey8559:

LR (03-01-2018), Mel1959 (03-01-2018), Nancy in New York (03-01-2018)

If you have Prime Amazon isn't bad for pricing on Esbilac.
    https://www.amazon.com/Esbilac%C2%AE...s=esbilac&th=1
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

24. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SammysMom:

cava (03-01-2018), LR (03-01-2018), Mel1959 (03-01-2018)

I'm betting she is a grey squirrel because she looks like nearly all the pinky greys I've ever had.
    The fact that she has not lost weight is to your credit, because pinks often do in the first few days. Now we need to plump her up. As all have said previously, PLEASE get the Esbilac ASAP. It is far better than anything else for pinky squirrels. She should gain 2-3g daily by the next week or so; it will take her some time to ramp up once she's on the right formula. In the meantime, try hydrating her a bit IN BETWEEN feedings; it will increase her appetite and, of course, her hydration as she looks a little dry.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

26. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

LR (03-01-2018), Mel1959 (03-01-2018)

HeyHey8559 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    I'm betting she is a grey squirrel because she looks like nearly all the pinky greys I've ever had.
    The fact that she has not lost weight is to your credit, because pinks often do in the first few days. Now we need to plump her up. As all have said previously, PLEASE get the Esbilac ASAP. It is far better than anything else for pinky squirrels. She should gain 2-3g daily by the next week or so; it will take her some time to ramp up once she's on the right formula. In the meantime, try hydrating her a bit IN BETWEEN feedings; it will increase her appetite and, of course, her hydration as she looks a little dry.
    Thank you guys! Got the goats milk and the formula should be here tomorrow. I'm gonna keep with the hydration in between.
    If she's a grey is it possible she was premie? Or serious runt? The other sibling that didn't survive the fall was about the same size as her. Maybe slightly larger in weight.
    I just wanna make sure I'm not doing more harm than good. For instance her sucking Her tongue while she's asleep, is that normal?

Also could anyone recommend a safe moisturizer for her skin? In addition to hydration?

Sorry so many questions buy any an all help is greatly appreciated from Holly and myself.

28. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HeyHey8559 from:

LR (03-01-2018)

Thumbs down Re: New to Pinkies!! Indetification and advice needed!!

Thank you guys! Got the goats milk and the formula should be here tomorrow. I'm gonna keep with the hydration in between.
    If she's a grey is it possible she was premie? Or serious runt? The other sibling that didn't survive the fall was about the same size as her. Maybe slightly larger in weight.
    I just wanna make sure I'm not doing more harm than good. For instance her sucking Her tongue while she's asleep, is that normal?

Also could anyone recommend a safe moisturizer for her skin? In addition to hydration?

Sorry so many questions buy any an all help is greatly appreciated from Holly and myself.
    I use unrefined coconut oil on my finger to "potty" mine. I also rub their skin down with it. Mine did just ok on Esbilac, but they really thrived when I added the goat milk formula 50/50 with puppy Esbilac. Tried the appropriate fox valley and it caused intense bloating for my sensitive tummy guy. Unfortunately, I'm beginning to realize there is no true right answer for every squirrel. (Btw, looks like a grey to me!) After all the hydration you've done, I'd say just go ahead and start with a diluted formula (whichever you decide).

30. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to ScrappyDo:

LR (03-01-2018)

Have you started on the goats milk formula? I would do that ASAP and then you can add in the Esbilac when it arrives. Many folks like that combination for pinkies.

32. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

LR (03-02-2018)

HeyHey8559 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Have you started on the goats milk formula? I would do that ASAP and then you can add in the Esbilac when it arrives. Many folks like that combination for pinkies.
    A friend who works at a vets office brought me some Esbilac yesterday, so we started that. But will try adding the goats milk later today.
    She hasn't pooped since yesterday morning. Tried a warm bath, nothing. Stimykating before and after feedings, nothing but clear urine. Any other tricks or tips that might help?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

When you started the Esbilac, did you offer full strength, or was it diluted with water?

35. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cava:

redwuff (03-02-2018)

As Cava mentioned, any formula change you want to do slowly.
    Everyone has differing opinions here, but over the last couple of years, pinkies I have had on full strength Esbilac or fox valley 32/40 badly intestionally block and bloat.

I feel that it is important to start a Pinkie on the Goat milk formula and after Pinkie is 7 to 10 days old, slowly add Esbilac or Fox valley to that formula. I stay on 50/50 until eyes open then I wean them off GMF and feed just Esbilac or fox valley.

Goats milk formula 3 parts goats milk
    1 part heavy whipping creme
    1 part full fat yogurt
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

37. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

cava (03-02-2018), lilidukes (03-02-2018), ScrappyDo (03-02-2018)

HeyHey8559 Guest

I diluted it down. Still diluting today, being as she still hasn't had a bm. Weighed her this morning and she dropped back down to 19.6. From the formula change maybe? She's still lively and crawling everywhere. Eats like a horse. Gotta cut her off as to not overfeed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.