Thread: Dog bite causing eye injury

vsr Guest

Default Dog bite causing eye injury

Hi. My one year olds caught hold of a baby squirrel that was playing new out of its nest in my backyard and strolled away from mother so many times into unfensed area. I need to know if i can medicate antibiotics and/or see a vet. Veterinarian in my locality are only seen working with cattle or dogs. I don't want to hurt him under wrong care. His mom really went away by the time I tied him up to the poll where she could fetch him. I feel his one eye was open. One is looking dry and closed. Can't figure.

Unsure of how I can add pictures here in this board.

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to vsr:

LR (02-27-2018), SophieSquirrel (02-27-2018)

Default Re: Dog bite causing eye injury

Your medicines may have a different name in India. Try a local pharmacist and ask if they have opthalmic antibiotic salve or even one used for dogs from a dog vet will work. Terramycin or Gentamicin are the brand names in the United States but whatever you get it has to say opthalmic salve. If you can keep the baby still long enough to medicate use a Q-Tip (swab) to apply. Please post photos if you can. Click the little square when you reply. It's next to the little film strip above the text. Click browse, select photo and then click upload.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SophieSquirrel from:

LR (02-27-2018)

Default Re: Dog bite causing eye injury

Quote Originally Posted by vsr View Post
    Hi. My one year olds caught hold of a baby squirrel that was playing new out of its nest in my backyard and strolled away from mother so many times into unfensed area. I need to know if i can medicate antibiotics and/or see a vet. Veterinarian in my locality are only seen working with cattle or dogs. I don't want to hurt him under wrong care. His mom really went away by the time I tied him up to the poll where she could fetch him. I feel his one eye was open. One is looking dry and closed. Can't figure.

Unsure of how I can add pictures here in this board.
    I am curious about how small this baby is? Maybe it is very young and the eyes are just starting to open and that why one is still closed but dry looking. What makes you think it has an eye injury? Do you see any swelling or eye discharge from the open eye? Did you see the mom run away as the dog caught him? Maybe the mom will come back looking for him at that location.
    “Some people talk to animals. Not many listen though. That's the problem.” -A.A Milne

6. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to 4Puddles:

Diggie's Friend (02-27-2018), LR (02-27-2018), Mel1959 (02-27-2018), SophieSquirrel (02-27-2018)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.