Thread: Cage bar spacing

Default Cage bar spacing

I've searched the forums without luck, so...

Just got a large bird/parrot cage but I'm concerned the bars are spaced too far apart.

From bar wire EDGE to edge is a total open space of exactly 1 inch.
    Is this safe for squirrels? Not babies, obviously, but 5 month+

It needs some work which I don't want to spend the time doing if this isn't appropriate.

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Coffeeculturegvl from:

LR (02-18-2018)

Default Re: Cage bar spacing

Some people do use 1", but I prefer to try to stick to 1/2" horizontal bars for caging my NRs. Can you post a picture of the cage for better responses?
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SammysMom:

Coffeeculturegvl (02-18-2018), LR (02-18-2018)

Pic of the cage
    Attached Images Attached Images  

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Coffeeculturegvl from:

LR (02-18-2018)

I've used the Marshall Mansion in the past for my NRs and a huge pet shop cat cage - which have about 1" space between bars - and now am using the Critter Nation ones, with 1/2" space. I found that with the 1" space some of them would take to chewing on the bars and end up with a worn out spot ont he nose... one lil guy even to the point where it caused a wound. I defiitely prefer the 1/2 inch.

It seems like a nice cage you got, so I'd give it a try and see. You will definitely need some kind of flooring though; your little one should ot have to walk on wire bars all the time. We had some metal trays made for one of our big cat cages especially for that purpose.
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Scooterzmom:

Quote Originally Posted by SammysMom View Post
    Some people do use 1", but I prefer to try to stick to 1/2" horizontal bars for caging my NRs
    The Critter Nation double or quad with 1/2" spacing is better for another reason. They can't get a good purchase on the bars with their incisors. Pulling on the bars can cause an malocclusion and repeated trauma from biting down on iron can cause Odontoma. If your NR's have plenty of supervised out time the smaller double stack CN is not an issue. You can also mount the large 16" Chin wheel in one. http://www.erodent.co.uk/wheels.htm

10. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SophieSquirrel:

Coffeeculturegvl (02-18-2018), LR (02-18-2018), Scooterzmom (02-18-2018)

I will likely only use this for a temporary cage then, or emergencies. Right now, I'm separating out a group of 6 to move to release locations. So, a little chewing won't be a worry, I think.
    I didn't think of the teeth problems. So, thank you.
    I was initially worried about little heads getting stuck.
    It has a bottom tray, but it's badly rusted. I was going to install a wood floor

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Coffeeculturegvl from:

LR (02-18-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Coffeeculturegvl View Post
    It needs some work which I don't want to spend the time doing if this isn't appropriate.
    If you ever have to refinish a cage have someone powder coat it with a lead-free coating after sandblasting or sanding. Don't spray paint with enamels like Rustoleum / Krylon b/c many are toxic.

14. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SophieSquirrel:

One inch is too big for all the reasons mentioned, add those to a predator being able to
    reach a paw through a one inch space and you have all the reasons why not to use it as is.
    If you were planning it as a pre-release please take note that raccoons have been known to
    grab squirrels through one inch bars, it's never pretty!
    However....it's an awesome cage! If it were mine, I'd be lining the inside with half inch
    hardware cloth eliminating any risk to my squirrels and have double security at the same time.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

16. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Coffeeculturegvl (02-19-2018), gunpackingrandma (02-19-2018)