Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fleas or Mites or What?

Default Re: Fleas or Mites or What?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaramee View Post
    Oh, great! Idk Revolution looks more complete?

Revolution is the better alternative, it also covers more types of mites then Ivermectin.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

2. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

frankc (01-29-2020), KCullen (05-06-2021), Nancy in New York (01-29-2020), RockyPops (01-29-2020)

As Step said, Revolution is safer to use and would be my first choice. However, Ivermectin can also be used and is inexpensive and easily available.

If you decide to try Ivermectin, you are looking of for Ivermectin paste at 1.87% strength. You can find it at feed stores and also order it online for about $7:

https://www.amazon.com/Ivermectin-Pa...s%2C128&sr=8-7

The way I have dosed it with otherwise healthy, adult squirrels is to give an amount of half of a piece of rice or about the amount needed to fill this circle "O". Spread the ivermectin paste on a piece of pecan and they will eat it. You can give a second dose 7-9 days later and that should do the trick. A third dose can be given after another 7-9 days but often this is not needed. Ivermectin is a powerful neurotoxin so do not give too much or too often. Also, if you are treating a baby or a neurologically impaired squirrel, I would really go with Revolution. I do not treat females that I suspect are pregnant with Ivermectin either. There are more precise ways of dosing this but I have treated healthy adults this way and never seen a issue. It clears up mange and will certainly kill fleas and ticks. It also kills some types of internal worm parasites as well.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

4. 7 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

Chirps (02-01-2020), frankc (01-29-2020), island rehabber (01-29-2020), Jaramee (01-29-2020), KCullen (05-06-2021), RockyPops (01-29-2020), stepnstone (01-29-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    As Step said, Revolution is safer to use and would be my first choice. However, Ivermectin can also be used and is inexpensive and easily available.

If you decide to try Ivermectin, you are looking of for Ivermectin paste at 1.87% strength. You can find it at feed stores and also order it online for about $7:

The way I have dosed it with otherwise healthy, adult squirrels is to give an amount of half of a piece of rice or about the amount needed to fill this circle "O". Spread the ivermectin paste on a piece of pecan and they will eat it. You can give a second dose 7-9 days later and that should do the trick. A third dose can be given after another 7-9 days but often this is not needed. Ivermectin is a powerful neurotoxin so do not give too much or too often. Also, if you are treating a baby or a neurologically impaired squirrel, I would really go with Revolution. I do not treat females that I suspect are pregnant with Ivermectin either. There are more precise ways of dosing this but I have treated healthy adults this way and never seen a issue. It clears up mange and will certainly kill fleas and ticks. It also kills some types of internal worm parasites as well.
    That's its purpose, as a broad-spectrum wormer for equines. We discovered its effectiveness on external parasites by accident. A zillion years ago we got Mom a donkey for Mother's Day. My sister bought him from this outfit that was hosting a weekend trail ride. Anyway when she got him here I noticed he had lice. We were worming him anyway since we didn't know his backstory and just because. The lice disappeared like magic.

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Chirps:

frankc (02-02-2020), RockyPops (02-02-2020)

Thumbs up Re: Fleas or Mites or What?

Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post

...and bugs are gone! Thanks again. It's great to see folks who care about squirrels.

8. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Jaramee:

frankc (02-22-2020), Mialouise (02-22-2020), RockyPops (02-22-2020), stepnstone (02-22-2020)

Thanks for the update.

Quote Originally Posted by ScrappyDo View Post
    Do you wake up with them? I've personally used diatomaceous earth. Food grade. Just rub it on and it kills everything. I use it for my dogs when the neighborhood cats come around and bring fleas. Used it on 3 squirrels successfully as well.
    I have food grade diatomaceous earth. Would you recommend using this before trying the revolution? How much would I rub on her? She's about 5 weeks do think it'll be okay to use at that age? And do I need to wash it off or brush it off after or just leave it in her fur? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Littlefern View Post
    I have food grade diatomaceous earth. Would you recommend using this before trying the revolution? How much would I rub on her? She's about 5 weeks do think it'll be okay to use at that age? And do I need to wash it off or brush it off after or just leave it in her fur? Thanks!
    Liittlefern, this is an old thread - 2018. I don't know if the poster still comes here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12