Thread: Ivermectin treatment, post-MBD

Default Ivermectin treatment, post-MBD

(I posted this in the wrong thread, so I am also posting this here)

Hello everyone.

I have a mangy squirrel that clearly has a case of bugs/parasites. They're the ones that burrow under the skin, and create hair loss all over the body as they migrate from affected areas.

I have Ivermectin, but was told not to use it as this squirrel has had a few seizures caused by MBD in the past. However, it's been a while since any seizures have manifested and would like to know if it is okay to try an Ivermectin treatment?

This squirrel is also on low, decreasing doses of Prednisone, as it has hind leg trouble.

I'm aware that I need to give a rice grain sized portion of the Ivermectin once a week for a period of three weeks, but was looking for a 'go ahead' from experienced people.

I've tried looking into getting some Revolution instead, as it was recommended, but I can only order it online with a prescription, and cannot get it in my area as no vet will give it to us over the counter without seeing the animal in question. Squirrels are illegal to keep in a house where I am from, so that's out of the question (though if anyone has a source to get some Revolution (selamectin), I would be incredibly grateful.

Thank you.

Default Re: Ivermectin treatment, post-MBD

Quote Originally Posted by threenigma View Post

Hello everyone.

I have a mangy squirrel that clearly has a case of bugs/parasites. They're the ones that burrow under the skin, and create hair loss all over the body as they migrate from affected areas.

I have Ivermectin, but was told not to use it as this squirrel has had a few seizures caused by MBD in the past. However, it's been a while since any seizures have manifested and would like to know if it is okay to try an Ivermectin treatment?

This squirrel is also on low, decreasing doses of Prednisone, as it has hind leg trouble.

I'm aware that I need to give a rice grain sized portion of the Ivermectin once a week for a period of three weeks, but was looking for a 'go ahead' from experienced people.

I've tried looking into getting some Revolution instead, as it was recommended, but I can only order it online with a prescription, and cannot get it in my area as no vet will give it to us over the counter without seeing the animal in question. Squirrels are illegal to keep in a house where I am from, so that's out of the question (though if anyone has a source to get some Revolution (selamectin), I would be incredibly grateful.

Thank you.
    On Facebook there is a group Ecureuil Land. They try to help sqs. They are in Quebec. Contact them, maybe, someone happens to have what you are looking for.

Do a search on Joe's Pet Meds. You can order Revolution from them without a presciption.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to LR from:

astra (02-17-2018)

Hello everyone.

Thank you.
    I am also from Quebec and was able to get revolution from Sierra Pet meds. They ship from Australia so you must be patient. I waited for over three weeks.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Marzipan from:

astra (02-17-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by astra View Post
    On Facebook there is a group Ecureuil Land. They try to help sqs. They are in Quebec. Contact them, maybe, someone happens to have what you are looking for.
    Sadly, they only ship within the US. However, Sierra Pet meds ships everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Marzipan View Post
    Sadly, they only ship within the US. However, Sierra Pet meds ships everywhere.
    as my comment shows, they aren't an online store, they are a group of ppl. They do not ship anything, but if one of them happens to have something, they may be able to share. And they are in Quebec, so they can't ship "within the us".

as my comment shows, they aren't an online store, they are a group of ppl. They do not ship anything, but if one of them happens to have something, they may be able to share. And they are in Quebec, so they can't ship "within the us".
    I quoted the wrong post, I am so sorry!

I am also from Quebec and was able to get revolution from Sierra Pet meds. They ship from Australia so you must be patient. I waited for over three weeks.
    i've just looked them up online - looks like a reliable company. And I also checked out Joe's meds - based on the reviews, seems like their reliability has gone down...

I quoted the wrong post, I am so sorry!

totally fine, no big deal whatsoever, just wanted to clarify for threenigma

i've just looked them up online - looks like a reliable company. And I also checked out Joe's meds - based on the reviews, seems like their reliability has gone down...
    I ordered from sierra's and they were great! I believe I only paid 40$ CAD for the drops. The three week shipping was due to the medicine being held at Singapore's customs. So was not really the company's fault. Customer service was kind and helpful.

13. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Marzipan:

astra (02-17-2018), SophieSquirrel (02-17-2018)

I ordered from sierra's and they were great! I believe I only paid 40$ CAD for the drops. The three week shipping was due to the medicine being held at Singapore's customs. So was not really the company's fault. Customer service was kind and helpful.
    thanks for sharing about them. With getting some meds in Canada being so difficult, it's great to know about this company

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to astra from:

SophieSquirrel (02-17-2018)

I think it's Ironic you need to buy pet meds from Australia but can't get them from the US. Our middle class (humans) can't afford necessary meds from greedy US Corporate Pharma's thanks to lobbyists so they have to get necessary life saving meds from Canada No specific point here - just that the system is SO messed up. Let PPL and animals get the help they need in an affordable way!

Was the caution about administering Ivermectin (post MBD) for topical, PO or both?

This is the one I use (paste) - rice grain PO or Topically. We can but it at Tractor Supply here

Name:  IVERM.jpeg
Views: 63
Size:  10.5 KB

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SophieSquirrel from:

4Puddles (02-17-2018)

Hello everyone and thank you all for your feedback. I've looked at Joe's Pet Meds and indeed, they only ship within the US. As for Sierra, yes they are located in Australia, but I managed to get an order out using express shipping. Hopefully in gets here by the end of the week.

I do have a bigger question, though; can Ivermectin be used in combination with Revolution (selamectin)? One is orally given and the other is external, so I'm guessing it would be fine, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I'm asking because this squirrel has had a very difficult beginner at life and I'd like to move to the next step in it's healing process, which would be to step up the physiotherapy for it's hind legs. However, I don't want to waste time with treatment, and would like to completely eradicate the bugs that are causing these nasty effects on the poor squirrel. Using both just seems like a strong combination in killing the pests.

Thank you again for your help.

I do have a bigger question, though; can Ivermectin be used in combination with Revolution (selamectin)? One is orally given and the other is external, so I'm guessing it would be fine, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.
    no, they absolutely cannot be used together. Use Revolution topically and see how it works.
    Mange is greatly affected by a weak immune system. Not only while he is treated by Revolution, but also before and after - excellent nutrition in order to boost and strengthen his immune system.

no, they absolutely cannot be used together. Use Revolution topically and see how it works.
    Mange is greatly affected by a weak immune system. Not only while he is treated by Revolution, but also before and after - excellent nutrition in order to boost and strengthen his immune system.
    Thank you very much. In that case, I will wait for the selamectin to arrive. Would you have any idea how long it takes for the mites to be erradicated? I know that the treatment is 3x over 3 weeks, but I was wondering when i can start to see results?

I've seen different results being posted, but you seem to know your stuff, so I'm assuming you have past experience.

Thank you.

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to threenigma from:

LR (02-20-2018)

Thank you very much. In that case, I will wait for the selamectin to arrive. Would you have any idea how long it takes for the mites to be erradicated? I know that the treatment is 3x over 3 weeks, but I was wondering when i can start to see results?

I've seen different results being posted, but you seem to know your stuff, so I'm assuming you have past experience.

Thank you.
    Ivermectin and Revolution are administered differently.

Ivermectin - 1 dose every 7-10 days, one course - 3 doses; if wasn't enough, wait 2 wks and repeat the course.

Revolution - 1-2 drops between shoulders. Should go directly on skin -- part fur. Repeat in about 30 days. Usually, it it is supposed to begin to act fairly quickly.

If there is a risk that the sq make jerk as you are trying to apply Revolution directly from the vial, to avoid accidentally spilling the entire vial what you can do is draw two drops into a syringe and apply it that way.
    Some time ago Crittermom gave a tip on how to draw those two drops into a syringe: first, put two drops on a clean, even, glass surface; then draw them into your syringe.

Also, what ppl sometimes do to ensure that each tiny droplet of these two drops gets on the skin is before you draw the drops, draw some air --- i.e., just move the plunger from 0 to, say, 2 or 3; after that - draw the revolution drops. This way when you 'squirt'' the drops onto his skin, the air will push all of the drops out. This is suggested because sometimes what seems to happen is that when you draw some liquid into a syringe and then "squirt'/release that liquid, it looks like there is some of it left right at the opening of the syringe. So, to double-ensure that all of the med gets out of the syringe, draw some air first, and then - the revolution drops. It may sound more complicated than it actually is.
    But if it sounds too difficult to picture - then don't worry about drawing the air first; draw the revolution drops into the syringe as usual and "squirt'"/push them out as usual. Will be just fine.

A regular 1cc syringe will work very well for this. Regular plastic syringe without a needle.
    If you do not have a syringe, maybe, you could try a local pharmacy: try telling them that you have an abandoned kitten, so you need a 1cc syringe. In the US pharmacies often give ppl some syringes upon hearing a story like that. Maybe, it will work in Canada, too.

23. Serious fuzzy thank you's to astra from:

LR (02-20-2018)

Ivermectin and Revolution are administered differently.

Ivermectin - 1 dose every 7-10 days, one course - 3 doses; if wasn't enough, wait 2 wks and repeat the course.

Revolution - 1-2 drops between shoulders. Should go directly on skin -- part fur. Repeat in about 30 days. Usually, it it is supposed to begin to act fairly quickly.

If there is a risk that the sq make jerk as you are trying to apply Revolution directly from the vial, to avoid accidentally spilling the entire vial what you can do is draw two drops into a syringe and apply it that way.
    Some time ago Crittermom gave a tip on how to draw those two drops into a syringe: first, put two drops on a clean, even, glass surface; then draw them into your syringe.

Also, what ppl sometimes do to ensure that each tiny droplet of these two drops gets on the skin is before you draw the drops, draw some air --- i.e., just move the plunger from 0 to, say, 2 or 3; after that - draw the revolution drops. This way when you 'squirt'' the drops onto his skin, the air will push all of the drops out. This is suggested because sometimes what seems to happen is that when you draw some liquid into a syringe and then "squirt'/release that liquid, it looks like there is some of it left right at the opening of the syringe. So, to double-ensure that all of the med gets out of the syringe, draw some air first, and then - the revolution drops. It may sound more complicated than it actually is.
    But if it sounds too difficult to picture - then don't worry about drawing the air first; draw the revolution drops into the syringe as usual and "squirt'"/push them out as usual. Will be just fine.

A regular 1cc syringe will work very well for this. Regular plastic syringe without a needle.
    If you do not have a syringe, maybe, you could try a local pharmacy: try telling them that you have an abandoned kitten, so you need a 1cc syringe. In the US pharmacies often give ppl some syringes upon hearing a story like that. Maybe, it will work in Canada, too.
    Thank you for the recommended way of administration. Your detailing was very clear and precise - better writing than I can express. =)

I'll get some syringes as I've run out (Canada is very lax on handing out syringes due to drug problems and does it's best to have junkies use clean needles as a bare minimum).

Thank you.
    I know this question was for astra, but thought I would share
    my experience from last month.

Just some pictures of a little one I had around here in the beginning of January.
    I posted these before, but this will give you some timeline.
    The last photos of him were ~ 25 days after the initial treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    I have a little mange squirrel that started coming 5 days ago.
    I gave him one treatment so far.
    He was here this morning and I was pumping up the food for
    him and told him to stay put for the next couple of days.
    CritterMom we are getting your weather here as well.
    The high is suppose to be -1 Saturday with a low of -14 below.
    Wind chill -25 - -45.

Rich just came home from Boca Raton yesterday.
    Suprised he didn't stay longer.

Poor little one this morning.
    I kept one chair out so they could go under it and eat.
    Look where he decides to eat his treat.

Name:  2018-01-04 001A.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  114.1 KB..................Name:  2018-01-04 002B.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  64.9 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post

Just an quick update on my little mange squirrel.
    He's been coming around almost daily.
    I give him 3 HHB's and then pecans out of the shell.
    He's finished his treatments and he's looking fantastic.
    Poor little guy went through some of the coldest consecutive days
    we seen in years...........and he came out looking like this!

Name:  2018-01-25 006C.jpg
Size:  105.4 KBName:  2018-01-25 008D.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  83.0 KB
    Name:  2018-01-25 009E.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  57.4 KBName:  2018-01-25 023F.jpg
Size:  88.3 KB
    Last edited by Nancy in New York; 02-20-2018 at 04:26 PM.