Thread: MooMoo got into liquid paper

Default MooMoo got into liquid paper

MooMoo got a bottle of liquid paper last night. Today her nose has been bleeding some. She appears ok now but, my heart is broke. No n/v or diarrhea. Not sure if it could just be that the smell was too strong. She has free run of the house. I don't know of anything else she might have gotten. Vets here won't see squirrels unless it is one of those life or death things. Should I take her to the vet or continue to monitor her or what? Thank you in advance. She is 17 months old.

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Moo Moo's Mama from:

LR (02-17-2018)

Default Re: MooMoo got into liquid paper

She got into it what way?...did she chew the container or do you think she actually drank some? Was she covered in it afterwards?
    “Some people talk to animals. Not many listen though. That's the problem.” -A.A Milne

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to 4Puddles from:

LR (02-17-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by 4Puddles View Post
    She got into it what way?...did she chew the container or do you think she actually drank some? Was she covered in it afterwards?
    It's possible she drank some. The bottle was full and she chewed it up.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Moo Moo's Mama from:

LR (02-17-2018)

From what I am reading, a significant amount would need to be ingested to be dangerous. I do not have any experience with pets potentially ingesting liquid paper though. I wonder about the nose bleeding...do you think she might have cut it while chewing up the bottle? I don’t suppose you can you tell if the blood coming from high in the nose or right at the tip?
    “Some people talk to animals. Not many listen though. That's the problem.” -A.A Milne

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to 4Puddles from:

LR (02-17-2018)

https://hpd.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/hous...ds&id=19036013

Symptoms of poison.

Ingestion: Consult a physician.

How is she? If you didn't see signs by now she should be fine.
    Any large amount should have seen vomiting with 10-20 minutes.

Rodents don't vomit like humans. What is a little to a human is obviously a lot to a squirrel. A squirrel drinking 1/2 a container would be like your drinking a pint of the stuff. Give a lot of fruits to improve motility and something she likes to drink to flush the body. Unless your home is 100% squirrel proofed she should not have the run of the house unsupervised. Poisons are one thing, there is also electrocution by lamp cords, getting inside walls, and ingesting plastic and other foreign substances. I think you should get her a large critter nation 2 level for her territory / nesting area letting her out for her exercise/play under supervision. That's what most of us do for the safety of our little ones. In the wild they are in their Dreys most of the day and all night coming out to forage for about 2 hours in the morning and evening. You can also get he a large chin wheel for the cage.

The Correction fluid is made up of two main components

The main chemical it comprises of is titanium dioxide which gives it the white colour. The white pigment is dissolved in a volatile solvent that evaporates easily. Two types of solvents are used including aqueous based and organic based.

The aqueous based solvents are used for correction fluids that will cover oil based inks. They are typically a mixture of water and alcohol.

Organic based solvents use volatile organic compounds and generally dry more quickly than aqueous solvents. A variety of organic compounds can be used including acetone, Toulene, xylene, methyl ethyl ketone, and Trichloroethane. The effects of drinking Toulene are - Blurred vision, Hearing Loss, Kidney damage, low blood pressure, Irregular heartbeat, chest pain, Headache, memory loss. The effects of drinking Trichloroethane are Skin irritation, Loss of Coordination, Low blood pressure and Cessation of heart beat, Unconsciousness.

Many of these compounds are also carcinogenic.

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SophieSquirrel:

LR (02-18-2018), muggsy'sgm (02-18-2018)

What about using the activated charcoal, do you think that would help ?

If so, how much, and how many times would be needed ?

I know in giving activated charcoal that it is added to purified water, then pulled up by non-needle syringe to be given slow and carefully orally as not to get it into the lungs.

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Moo's Mama View Post
    MooMoo got a bottle of liquid paper last night. Today her nose has been bleeding some. She appears ok now but, my heart is broke. No n/v or diarrhea. Not sure if it could just be that the smell was too strong. She has free run of the house. I don't know of anything else she might have gotten. Vets here won't see squirrels unless it is one of those life or death things. Should I take her to the vet or continue to monitor her or what? Thank you in advance. She is 17 months old.
    It don't have to be complicated, The obvious protocol is hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!
    One wants to keep pushing fluids (water) to flush the system of what may have been ingested.
    Squirrels regurgitate, they are not designed to vomit, forcing vomiting on a squirrel would be out.
    Charcoal /Toxiban (if necessary) may help to absorb and lesson the effects of what was ingested.
    Supportive care may be all that one can do and that consists of maintaining body temp and push
    the fluids.

I hope your little one has recovered from that mishap, don't imagine that was an expected flavor ....

Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

15. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

4Puddles (02-18-2018), Diggie's Friend (02-18-2018), LR (02-18-2018)