Thread: A floor or the ground?

Default A floor or the ground?

Still brainstorming ideas for an expanded habitat for everyone... Possibly connected to a new small building my husband said “I could have “ lol, for squirrels if I wanted. I could have an outdoor part, and somehow maybe doors for them to come inside for air/heat depending on weather. I guess the outside part would be something like an aviary. I wish/wonder if I could somehow build it in such a way, that it could be as natural as possible...This building literally borders the edge of our woods. Maybe we could somehow even include some small, nearby trees and such within its boundaries, idk . I be getting to ambitious with the imagination here.. But main question is , could the Ground be the floor for the outside? Just thinking, I know
    concrete, wire, wood can be cleaned... but wouldn’t they absolutely love being able to rustle in leaves, grass etc? Dig and bury things? Catch bugs even? We could make a wooden frame around the perimeter to attach the wire to..Then several , 8’ high, and cover the top. Even install a hot wire around the outside to keep any unwanted visitors away. I know I’ve read about how some mention to sterilize dirt and such , but aren’t they naturally immune to nature’s stuff, for the most part? Or, could they be empirically treated with a safe wormer on a monthly basis like other domestic animals? Just imagining the fun the pack could have with a more “woodland” habitat, trees ( or parts of) to climb ( the Greys) or to glide from ( the Flyers) with the comforts of coming inside when they want ( but in separate sections, as we’ve been told for their safety from each other).Is this feasible, or am I dreaming too big??

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Snicker Bar from:

LR (02-17-2018)

Default Re: A floor or the ground?

This sounds like a huge project but also sounds amazing for your little ones!
    I would worry about the ground being the floor in case anyone tried to dig out or predators tried to dig in. What I did with my large release enclosure was lay down 1/4 inch wire mesh and attach it to the wooden frame. Then I backfilled it with lots of dirt so they could feel the ground on their feet and bury things. As far as routinely deworming, I would think it should be safe but I’m not honestly sure how necessary it would be for squirrels. I think they should at least be protected from raccoon roundworm if the whole area was closed off and raccoons were unable to pass through and defecate. Hopefully someone else knows more about this and confirm ...?

Quote Originally Posted by Snicker Bar View Post
    Still brainstorming ideas for an expanded habitat for everyone... Possibly connected to a new small building my husband said “I could have “ lol, for squirrels if I wanted. I could have an outdoor part, and somehow maybe doors for them to come inside for air/heat depending on weather. I guess the outside part would be something like an aviary. I wish/wonder if I could somehow build it in such a way, that it could be as natural as possible...This building literally borders the edge of our woods. Maybe we could somehow even include some small, nearby trees and such within its boundaries, idk . I be getting to ambitious with the imagination here.. But main question is , could the Ground be the floor for the outside? Just thinking, I know
    concrete, wire, wood can be cleaned... but wouldn’t they absolutely love being able to rustle in leaves, grass etc? Dig and bury things? Catch bugs even? We could make a wooden frame around the perimeter to attach the wire to..Then several , 8’ high, and cover the top. Even install a hot wire around the outside to keep any unwanted visitors away. I know I’ve read about how some mention to sterilize dirt and such , but aren’t they naturally immune to nature’s stuff, for the most part? Or, could they be empirically treated with a safe wormer on a monthly basis like other domestic animals? Just imagining the fun the pack could have with a more “woodland” habitat, trees ( or parts of) to climb ( the Greys) or to glide from ( the Flyers) with the comforts of coming inside when they want ( but in separate sections, as we’ve been told for their safety from each other).Is this feasible, or am I dreaming too big??
    “Some people talk to animals. Not many listen though. That's the problem.” -A.A Milne

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to 4Puddles:

LR (02-17-2018), Snicker Bar (02-16-2018)

I think it's a great idea. I would probably incorporate a concrete footer around the perimeter similar to house construction. Of course, it wouldn't need to be as deep or wide as a house footer. Sinking some lag bolts in the wet concrete would give you something to attach a base board and hardware cloth to.

When I release squirrels I am always intrigued by their behavior. Some go UP, UP, UP to the top of the trees while an equal number go to the ground. They LOVE the ground. They dig, bury their nose in the dirt sniffing and even eat dirt. I think your guys would love having part of their habitat as a natural setting.

I know what you mean about the way we treat our babies. You would think they were premies in the NICU when in reality they are SQUIRRELS that were born to live outside.

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

LR (02-17-2018), Snicker Bar (02-16-2018)

Great idea , burying the wire; absolutely don’t want anyone to dig out. My husband was thinking it may need the concrete things too. He just wondered if we needed tonpoor a pad; but my one neuro that has balance issues doesn’t need to risk a fall and rattle her already damaged brain These are all non releases for various reasons; I want their life to be as fun as possible, since they are stuck in captivity. Last thought, if they did see or hear other squirrels, ( or if they even came up to the outside enclosure from the edge of woods) would this be enriching, or make them depressed that they can’t follow them to the trees? Probably thinking too much now ,

It does sound like a ridiculously huge project for sure; but like I told my husband, this could be something to last me ( and the occupants that need it) a lifetime. As I get older and when I retire, it would be something to enjoy and work with as a rehabber in my senior years, Lord willing my health allows. The releasable ones could wild up; but the nonreleases could have more than just a porch /room with wood floors. Plus, like men do with their shops (man caves) perhaps I can sneak away and hide out on the inside with the critters and read, nap, whatever.

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Snicker Bar from:

LR (02-17-2018)

Haha! I think that might depend on the squirrel. Before I released my two, they never seemed to mind the other squirrels running around. They would just get real still and watch them carefully until they were gone. Then mine would go back to happily playing
    “Some people talk to animals. Not many listen though. That's the problem.” -A.A Milne

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to 4Puddles:

LR (02-17-2018), Snicker Bar (02-17-2018)

You are starting to make me think I need one too!

Great idea , burying the wire; absolutely don’t want anyone to dig out. My husband was thinking it may need the concrete things too. He just wondered if we needed tonpoor a pad; but my one neuro that has balance issues doesn’t need to risk a fall and rattle her already damaged brain These are all non releases for various reasons; I want their life to be as fun as possible, since they are stuck in captivity. Last thought, if they did see or hear other squirrels, ( or if they even came up to the outside enclosure from the edge of woods) would this be enriching, or make them depressed that they can’t follow them to the trees? Probably thinking too much now ,

It does sound like a ridiculously huge project for sure; but like I told my husband, this could be something to last me ( and the occupants that need it) a lifetime. As I get older and when I retire, it would be something to enjoy and work with as a rehabber in my senior years, Lord willing my health allows. The releasable ones could wild up; but the nonreleases could have more than just a porch /room with wood floors. Plus, like men do with their shops (man caves) perhaps I can sneak away and hide out on the inside with the critters and read, nap, whatever.

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to 4Puddles:

LR (02-17-2018), Snicker Bar (02-17-2018)

Well, I’ll keep you posted on the progress ; kind of like a Noah’s Ark adventure! Maybe it won’t take 20/40 years! I think that’s the time frame it took for Noah and sons; need to look that up...

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Snicker Bar from:

LR (02-17-2018)

Last thought, if they did see or hear other squirrels, ( or if they even came up to the outside enclosure from the edge of woods) would this be enriching, or make them depressed that they can’t follow them to the trees? Probably thinking too much now ,
    while, as it happens with a number of topics, there are diff. takes on this, usually, it is not recommended putting NRs outside.
    Putting sqs outside is what is done to help them wild up. NRs do not need to wild up. Some may not, but some certainly will, why take a chance?... because if they wild up, they will be miserable: forever longing for something they can never have. And they'll never be content in their captive state.
    IT's like keeping a wilded-up sq in a release cage forever.

There have been on this board yrs ago situations when a NR was brought outside, ended up wilding up=getting aggressive and it never changed.

It is better to enrich the NRs's indoor lives - lots of toys, lots of interaction and play with their humans; put their cage closer to the window for them to observe the life outside; some sqs enjoy music (for real); some even join their humans in watching TV and so on and so forth.
    Give them plenty of time outside the cage to free run the room (or rooms).
    Get a cat tree or two, bring tree limbs and branches from outside and create some sort of a gym for them. Every couple of months switch things around in the room (Even switching a few branches will add the necessary novelty).
    The most important thing is interaction. They thrive on playing, being talked to, massaged etc. etc. [fill in whatever type of interaction your sq prefers].
    Enriching their indoor life will obviate any need to bring them outside.
    Like I said, some NRs may seem ok with occasional visits outside, but some wild up and it is irreversible.
    So, def. smth to think about

16. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to astra:

4Puddles (02-17-2018), LR (02-17-2018), Mel1959 (02-17-2018), Snicker Bar (02-17-2018)

Oh my gosh NO ! We don’t want any chance of that happening ! I guess I’ve been listening to my overzealous husband ; offering a “squirrel facility” of sorts ( or maybe more like an evil plan to evict all of us??) They have quite the spacious set up now, really; a big porch-room that connects to our bedroom. And Snickers has renounced membership to the clan; she’s become a mainly full time house squirrel this winter, her choice. The other two grays just always seem nervous about coming in; probably my fault for not allowing them in more. When they were little we were going through so much seizure stress with Snickers; had her sleeping next to bed, constant seizure watch it seemed ...They basically grew up outside, ( one partially blind, the other a balance challenged neuro ) but seem content. I do often try to enrich , rearrange their room with huge limbs, hollow log pieces, slings, or anything else I can drag in from the woods that’s safe. But I will try to make an earnest effort to try and socialize with them more INSIDE. I tried last summer when we had the threat of a major tornado line on the way; they just kind of panic coming in (?). But Dandies did ride my shoulder inside just the other day to get her morning treat; (after her leap and pee on mom’s back AM ritual).
    The Flyers have the entire back bath ( sleep in cage during day) . But I think they would be happier if they could have part of this room at night , with limbs and such vs light fixtures and counter tops.
    I’ll tell husband keep that thought... I would love to have a rehab building/enclosure for grays that ARE candidates for release.. This could be its purpose; and I could retire someday and be a nutty squirrel lady instead of playing Bingo or going on cruises...
    Thanks for ALL the perspectives; but thinking not worth the risk

I guess I’ve been listening to my overzealous husband ; offering a “squirrel facility” of sorts ( or maybe more like an evil plan to evict all of us??) )

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

Snicker Bar (02-17-2018)

You could add a large dig box with grass to whatever room they're in. you could also make a cage for outside that you can put them in with supervision, instead of letting them run loose in a giant aviary, but it would be SOOOO awesome for them to be in an outdoor aviary, so if it's doable, you've got my vote! .

A good idea is to have a tarp that you can spread over the cage for when it rains or something, so that even if they're not in it there's less of a chance of dangerous fungus growing in there. Tarps usually have eyeholes in the corners and sides, so you could have hooks on the outside of the cage for attachment
    "Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened."
    - Anatole France

"We have doomed the wolf not for what it is, but for what we deliberately and mistakenly
    perceive it to be - the mythologized epitome of a savage ruthless killer - which is, in reality,
    no more than a reflected image of ourselves."
    - Farley Mowat

21. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Floppysquirrel04:

island rehabber (02-18-2018), Snicker Bar (02-18-2018)

Thanks for your suggestions Floopysq I guess after studying pros and cons I decided to leave our nonreleases attached to our house in this porch. It is kind of a walk in aviary of sorts- we covered the screen with galvanized wire, and then decked it out with woodland stuff. I did entertain the thoughts of a huge , tree encompassing, grass floor , squirrel dream habitat home . But after more thought , and the mention that one ( or all ) could potentially become frustrated or depressed if the “call of the wild” started luring them, I just couldn’t take that chance. But plans are to still make this facility for future use fornthose that are healthy, normal candidates for freedom
    In meantime, we have worked ALL day on this porch; making a petition to close off the portion of the room that my sometimes moody, fat , one eyed gray ( Dandies) claims as her territory,and where her nest/hammock hangs. We can close her ( and Doodles the neuro who sleeps with her) during the night , so the Flyers can cruise a good 10 x 8 x 8 area during the night. In the morning, when they go to bed ( hoping in their cubes or boxes in thier cage, which also will be moved in there for a familiar safe place) I can close them safely in , and open the door so the grays can have the whole place. They can’t hurt the Flyers if they will return to their cage.
    Another thing I didn’t think about, is the fact that as things are now, when I’m home , I can see them , or be with them, at any time Everybody time I pass through the house and through our room, I can peek in and make sure all is well. I can walk in there in pajamas , early in AM , or way too late like tonight. I also too easily forget all the predicaments Doodles gets herself into.... She’s the drunkish walking neuro, who tries to climb EVERYTHING regardless of her disabilities! I have to keep pillows and blankets around the circumference of anything over a foot high, for fear she will fall and damage what functioning brain tissue she still has A big, giant outdoor area would probably be beyond Doodle - proofing, realistically. I could make her an indoor squirrels with Snickers, but she is tight with her moody foster sister; they were taken in and raised together, and inseparable.
    So eating my midnight ice cream with the Air Force, after a long day Will post some pics hopefully tomorrow if we finish!

23. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Snicker Bar from:

muggsy'sgm (02-18-2018)

I had an outdoor enclosure with a natural earth floor. I was lucky that my 4 by 8 enclosure fit perfectly on top of a raised bed garden box that I had built. Underneath the wood of the box were two levels of bricks to keep it leveled so there was a good four inches of brick underneath the wood. I figured that would keep them from getting out if they dug down, which it did. They absolutely adored digging in the dirt and burying their nuts Etc. Sometimes sunflower seeds would sprout which they devoured. They seemed much happier than they did with the wood floor of their indoor enclosure. Good luck. We've envisioned much the same for our yard. But we also realized that we don't have the knowledge base to do it ourselves. Keep us posted!

25. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Coffeeculturegvl from:

Snicker Bar (02-18-2018)

sounds good snickers

do you by chance have a picture of your "squirrel room?" it sound awesome!!!
    "Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened."
    - Anatole France

"We have doomed the wolf not for what it is, but for what we deliberately and mistakenly
    perceive it to be - the mythologized epitome of a savage ruthless killer - which is, in reality,
    no more than a reflected image of ourselves."
    - Farley Mowat

27. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Floppysquirrel04 from:

Snicker Bar (02-18-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by 4Puddles View Post
    You are starting to make me think I need one too!

Dang! I think I need one too!!!
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

29. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Scooterzmom from:

Snicker Bar (02-18-2018)

Name:  E4758013-11E4-40F7-A5CB-85086609EF9E.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  149.1 KB
    Name:  9A859939-F9AD-48CB-A342-51296206E148.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  175.2 KB

Here are the before pics; as it is now : 15’ long, 7.5 high, 7.5 wide .

Here is how we’ve attempted to divide it for safe , dual Flyer:Gray usage:Name:  8C33E6F0-E833-4B12-91F1-D6661259CA48.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  122.6 KB
    It’s kind of naked at the moment; had to move everything out. I'm slowly restocking each part with new limbs and stuff.

This gives the Flyers about 10’ by 7.5’ and 7.5’ at night; the Grays can have the smaller leftover for sleeping. I’m hoping in the AM, when they’re ready to go, the Flyers will go back to their cage ( which plan to move in for a familiar home site); then I could close their doors and let them sleep, and open the screen door for the grays to have the whole place. I would let the Flyers have the whole thing at night, but after hearing the grays could hurt them, I figured we better separate them. If one of them decided to explore Dandy’s sling during the night, it could be tragic

But still hoping to make the big outdoor squirrel facility for future needs of releaseable squirrels . And maybe , we could try just occasional field trips with mom, say an hour here and there for extra exercise and digging fun .... Maybe if we just did that, they wouldn’t wild up? Just short playtime , not extended past an hour?

31. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Snicker Bar from:

LR (02-18-2018)