Thread: possible black mold exposure

Default possible black mold exposure

I suspect my 5 year old female grey has been exposed to black mold. Today she had green mucus running from both nostrils, watery eyes, and was acting lethargic. She still has a good appetite, but the speed of her eating is greatly reduced and her breathing while eating periodically sounds off - she doesn't seem to be having any issues with her teeth though, they look normal and she doesn't avoid using any of them. I checked in her nest box and saw small black dots of mold on the inside of it. she lives in a large outdoor enclosure, and she had dragged a bunch of the hay I used to cover the hardware cloth on the bottom of the enclosure into her nest box - from what I've read, wet hay is heavily associated with black mold, and it's certainly been a wet winter for us in NH.
    I've moved her to a cage indoors with a new nest box, but I'm not sure what else to do for her. There are no wildlife-friendly vets near us, and the advice for treating pets exposed to black mold ranges from just removing them from the contaminated area to giving them blood transfusions. I'm also not sure how long she's been exposed to it, or if it even is black mold rather than some other respiratory infection.

This may be unrelated, but she has also had wet fur on the inside of her back legs for a while now - I assumed it was from her peeing on one of her platforms and then sitting in it, but now I'm wondering if it could be a symptom of a more serious problem. She's had that for at least a couple of weeks (pic is from 1/24), but none of the other symptoms were present until today. I know black mold can be deadly, so if anyone has dealt with it before I'd be so so grateful for your input. Thank you!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to isaiah from:

LR (02-10-2018)

Default Re: possible black mold exposure

The “green” description of the mucus makes me think bacterial over fungal, but I am not certain if that is always true. It definitely sounds like your little one has an infection if some sort. Do you happen to have any antibiotics laying around the house? Perhaps baytril/ciprofloxacin, augmentin/clavamox, amoxicillin, doxycycline? Either the human or animal versions should work. If you can find anything, someone here might be able to tell you if it is safe to use in squirrels and help you with appropriate dosing. As for the wet fur, can you tell if she is having diarrhea? Does the wetness trail up to the base of her tail or is it just that one isolated spot? For now I would definitely keep her in a warm dry environment if it is possible. Whether bacterial or fungal, her body is going to be compromised from trying to fight it.
    “Some people talk to animals. Not many listen though. That's the problem.” -A.A Milne

4. 7 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to 4Puddles:

cava (02-10-2018), Chickenlegs (02-10-2018), Diggie's Friend (02-11-2018), justAddNuts (02-11-2018), LR (02-10-2018), Mel1959 (02-10-2018), Nancy in New York (02-10-2018)

I agree an antibiotic is in order. If it is black mold, I know of another member whose squirrel was infected with mold and it did create a problem in her lungs. I can’t remember exactly what the treatment was, but you can reach out to the member in a private message and maybe she can tell you how she treated it. Her name on TSB is Tara and her squirrels name is Little Girl.

Please call around to family and friends to locate an antibiotic. You only need one pill. Once you get it and know the strength of the medicine and the weight of your squirrel someone on her will help you dose it.

6. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

4Puddles (02-11-2018), Diggie's Friend (02-11-2018), justAddNuts (02-11-2018)

https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-p...e-or-silymarin

https://nootriment.com/milk-thistle-side-effects/

(Oregon's Wild Harvest MTS Elixer) (Using a ml syringe without needle)

Add just 0.05 ml to food. The last line mark nearest the tip of a syringe equals one half of 1/100 of a ml.

https://www.vitacost.com/oregons-wil...otanicals_RLSA

https://nootriment.com/milk-thistle-side-effects/ http://www.allaboutfeed.net/Raw-Mate...xins-1729044W/

Do not take this supplement with medications that are metabolized in the liver, as they may interact by decreasing how long it is processed in the liver or milk thistle supplements may increase the side effects of these medications.

These medications include:

•Amitriptyline (Elavil)
    •Diazepam (Valium)
    •Zileuton (Zyflo)
    •Celecoxib (Celebrex)
    •Diclofenac (Voltaren)
    •Fluvastatin (Lescol)
    •Glipizide (Glucotrol)
    •Ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin)
    •Irbesartan (Avapro)
    •Losartan (Cozaar)

It should also not be taken with phenytoin (Dilantin), piroxicam (Feldene), tamoxifen (Nolvadex), tolbutamide (Tolinase), torsemide (Demadex), warfarin (Coumadin), and Glucuronidated Drugs. It should also not be taken with Statins.
    http://www.allaboutfeed.net/Raw-Mate...xins-1729044W/

Reasons to soak and sprout your grains, nuts and legumes:

https://draxe.com/aflatoxin/

https://moldsafesolutions.com/pets/ Recent Hurricanes:

Mader had the cat’s blood tested and tests revealed the presence of the banked serum revealed satratoxin G, a biomarker for Stachybotrys chartarum, also known as toxic black mold, which can cause respiratory-related health problems, pulmonary hemorrhage and death in animals and people. He then did what any good doctor would do and tried to find the source of the black mold.

He says he suspected the pet owner’s home had this deadly mold because the area they had lived in had been devastated by hurricane and flooding in October 2005. After Mader had questioned them, he discovered that their home had sustained extensive water damage during the hurricane just seven months before the cats had died. The clinical findings stated that the cats were siblings and lived together. then requested that the pet owners have their home tested for mold.

Mader then requested that the pet owners have their home tested for mold.

“Sure enough, they had very severe mold contamination in their walls,” he says. The walls have since been gutted and replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    I agree an antibiotic is in order. If it is black mold, I know of another member whose squirrel was infected with mold and it did create a problem in her lungs. I can’t remember exactly what the treatment was, but you can reach out to the member in a private message and maybe she can tell you how she treated it. Her name on TSB is Tara and her squirrels name is Little Girl.

Please call around to family and friends to locate an antibiotic. You only need one pill. Once you get it and know the strength of the medicine and the weight of your squirrel someone on her will help you dose it.
    I alerted Tara to this thread last night.

10. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

4Puddles (02-11-2018), Diggie's Friend (02-11-2018), justAddNuts (02-11-2018)

My LG had ASPERGILLOSIS after odontoma surgery. Her nasal passage had been through two surgeries and was open and basically a Petri dish welcoming in possible problems. Dr Emerson had to treat with several different antibiotics. She did a culture and treated with vibramycin, an antifungal called Voriconazole, also sporanox, all oral. AND she did a soak at the clinic under anesthesia with clotrimazole 1% solution ***this soak cannot be allowed to go down throat and she had to block it somehow so dont try this at home! It can be dangerous from what I know of it. There were other antibiotics used prior to the vibramycin BUT it would NOT have gotten rid of the aspergillosis based on the culture. I hope this helps. My vet at Ravenwood veterinary clinic in port orange Florida did this. Hope u get your baby well! You need to get help as soon as possible. If nothing else, a culture. My LG had to have surgery on her esophagus because the asper got down in there and caused problems. Plz be advised that I am not a regular rehabber and don't know anything except what my LG has experienced. Hugs!!

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Tara:

Diggie's Friend (02-11-2018), Mel1959 (02-11-2018)

Based on what you have posted I think you have an upper respiratory from being exposed to cold and dampness. If your squirrel lives in a cage you should consider keeping her indoors all the time for her safety and use the outdoor cage for sunning during nice summer days. Certainly moldy hay is not good for her but wild squirrels encounter mold all the time in leaves when digging up acorns without ill effect. In Tara's case there was trauma, surgical alteration of the nasal cavity and a weakened immune system.

Keep her indoors and get her on an antibiotic for the nasal discharge.

14. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SophieSquirrel:

4Puddles (02-11-2018), LR (02-12-2018)

My LG had ASPERGILLOSIS after odontoma surgery. Her nasal passage had been through two surgeries and was open and basically a Petri dish welcoming in possible problems. Dr Emerson had to treat with several different antibiotics. She did a culture and treated with vibramycin, an antifungal called Voriconazole, also sporanox, all oral. AND she did a soak at the clinic under anesthesia with clotrimazole 1% solution ***this soak cannot be allowed to go down throat and she had to block it somehow so dont try this at home! It can be dangerous from what I know of it. There were other antibiotics used prior to the vibramycin BUT it would NOT have gotten rid of the aspergillosis based on the culture. I hope this helps. My vet at Ravenwood veterinary clinic in port orange Florida did this.
    Both bacterial and fungal infections can cause this condition.

Yes, moldy Hay is a very common source of transmission of Aspergillus fungus.

Symptoms of Aspergillosis: Symptoms of nasal aspergillosis may include sneezing, nasal pain, bleeding from the nose, decreased appetite, swollen nose, and long-term nasal discharge. The disseminated form of this disease may develop suddenly or more gradually over many months, and may include signs of spinal pain or lameness, as well as non-specific signs of illness including fever, weight loss, vomiting, and loss of appetite.
    https://www.1800petmeds.com/educatio...es-dogs-51.htm

Beyond the appropriate antibiotics, and anti-fungal drugs to address respiratory fungal infections, Milk Thistle Seed is essential to use to counter the impact of this fungus upon the liver. The dosage I noted is for maintainance. Keepng in mind an extract/elixer is more concentrated, you wil need to consult wtih a veterinarian for the clinical dosage.

16. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

LR (02-12-2018), Tara (02-12-2018)

Thank you Tara for your thoughts and information. I have followed little LG's Thread - sweet baby.
    I wish this did not happen to our little ones.

We had a culture done some months back and the one thing that showed was Klebsiella so that is what we treated for. Would it be a different type of culture to have Aspergillosis show up... I guess I need to ask for tests for both fungus and bacteria? We are willing to use { if we can get it } antibiotics/antifungals that are necessary but there is no vet here with knowledge of squirrels.

Thanks again... I had not thought to ask them to test for both. They will not have any test products until sometime next week.........

Hey Rehabbers > > > IF DUDE IS ON DOXY....... AND WE GET HIM TESTED... WILL THE RESULTS NOT BE ACCURATE ? ?

Thanks again Tara.
    Blesisngs,
    RamaMama

Quote Originally Posted by Tara View Post
    My LG had ASPERGILLOSIS after odontoma surgery. Her nasal passage had been through two surgeries and was open and basically a Petri dish welcoming in possible problems. Dr Emerson had to treat with several different antibiotics. She did a culture and treated with vibramycin, an antifungal called Voriconazole, also sporanox, all oral. AND she did a soak at the clinic under anesthesia with clotrimazole 1% solution ***this soak cannot be allowed to go down throat and she had to block it somehow so dont try this at home! It can be dangerous from what I know of it. There were other antibiotics used prior to the vibramycin BUT it would NOT have gotten rid of the aspergillosis based on the culture. I hope this helps. My vet at Ravenwood veterinary clinic in port orange Florida did this. Hope u get your baby well! You need to get help as soon as possible. If nothing else, a culture. My LG had to have surgery on her esophagus because the asper got down in there and caused problems. Plz be advised that I am not a regular rehabber and don't know anything except what my LG has experienced. Hugs!!

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RamaMama from:

Tara (02-12-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by RamaMama View Post
    Thank you Tara for your thoughts and information. I have followed little LG's Thread - sweet baby.
    I wish this did not happen to our little ones.

We had a culture done some months back and the one thing that showed was Klebsiella so that is what we treated for. Would it be a different type of culture to have Aspergillosis show up... I guess I need to ask for tests for both fungus and bacteria? We are willing to use { if we can get it } antibiotics/antifungals that are necessary but there is no vet here with knowledge of squirrels.

Thanks again... I had not thought to ask them to test for both. They will not have any test products until sometime next week.........

Hey Rehabbers > > > IF DUDE IS ON DOXY....... AND WE GET HIM TESTED... WILL THE RESULTS NOT BE ACCURATE ? ?

Thanks again Tara.
    Blesisngs,
    RamaMama
    The doxy can make the bacterial culture results inaccurate, but should not affect a fungal culture. I cannot remember, did you already submit a mucus sample for the lab to test? If you did, you should ask your Vet to call the lab and see if you can add on a fungal culture. Often times labs will save samples for a certain number of days before disposing of them. Maybe you will get lucky and not need to collect another sample!
    “Some people talk to animals. Not many listen though. That's the problem.” -A.A Milne

20. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to 4Puddles:

Diggie's Friend (02-12-2018), LR (02-12-2018), Mel1959 (02-11-2018), Tara (02-12-2018)

Any update on this girl??

Quote Originally Posted by 4Puddles View Post
    Any update on this girl??
    I'm happy to report that she seems to be fully recovered! No more discharge from the eyes or nose, no abnormalities in her breathing, and she's back to her normal level of activity. Thank you everybody for your advice! I'll be keeping her indoors for the time being, at the very least until the weather improves.

23. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to isaiah:

4Puddles (02-19-2018), Diggie's Friend (02-19-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by isaiah View Post
    I'm happy to report that she seems to be fully recovered! No more discharge from the eyes or nose, no abnormalities in her breathing, and she's back to her normal level of activity. Thank you everybody for your advice! I'll be keeping her indoors for the time being, at the very least until the weather improves.
    This is wonderful news, thank you!

What a great update. When something happens to a bay here, we ALL feel it.

Just wanted to ask if the urine leakage had also stopped.
    We live in a heaven created by our virtues --- Muktananda