Thread: HELP!

Jabs09 Guest

Default HELP!

Hi guys! I am new to this site,but so far have read some very helpful information. One of the neighborhood kids found a squirrel and brought it to me on Sunday. From the looks of him he was laying there for way too long without food or water. He was severely dehydrated to the point that his skin was like a hard raisin, he seems blind, and something is broke on the back end, just not sure what. He is the sweetest little guy and seems to know that I want to help him. I started him on infant Pedialyte immediately and as of today he is no longer a raisin and his skin feels almost squishy again. Now onto the next feat, eating! I have supplemented kittens milk just to get some calories in him. He had a small syringe of cooked oatmeal yesterday, and this morning I put a handful of kale in the food processor with the kittens milk to give him a little extra nutrients. I have been cleaning his eyes twice a day to get the gunk out and putting antibiotic ointment in twice a day (I had this on hand for my cat) and it seems to really be helping with the infection, but his eyes are still swollen shut. I bathed him Monday in a warm bowl of water with baby soap because he is peeing/pooping on himself and that just must feel awful. He was very receptive to the bath and I made sure he was nice and warm as he dried. After assessing his body, he moves his tail so I don't think it's his spine, and he can move one of his back legs. But his entire side seems like he was swished. There is a really really hard something under his belly and I can't tell if maybe it was his hip/pelvis? As for his pain, I have been giving him .11 cc every 5 or so hours in with his Pedialyte. He has eaten about 5-6 raw almonds over the last couple days. I have been putting him by the window to get sun everyday, too.

I was so hopeful that this little guy was going to be okay, but now I am not so sure. He seems less active today and doesn't want to eat any almonds. He did eat 2 syringes of kittens milk so far today, and two of the pedialyte. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do for this little guy? Is there something else I should/could be feeding it? I haven't taken him to any of the animal rescue places because I was told that if he can't be rehabbed for release they will euthanize him and he is such a little fighter I don't want anyone to give up on him! Any help and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Jabs09 from:

SophieSquirrel (02-21-2018)

Default Re: HELP!

OK, he needs to be on different food - not kitten formula - he needs Esbilac powdered puppy formula available at chain pet stores, Tractor Supply.

Can you take some good pics of him so we can see what he looks like? Can he poop and pee? You may need to stimulate him to do this.

Tell us where you are in Florida. Many rehabbers down there that we KNOW plus friendly vets.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    OK, he needs to be on different food - not kitten formula - he needs Esbilac powdered puppy formula available at chain pet stores, Tractor Supply.
    Can you take some good pics of him so we can see what he looks like? Can he poop and pee? You may need to stimulate him to do this.
    Tell us where you are in Florida. Many rehabbers down there that we KNOW plus friendly vets.

Kitten formula is going to give and /or increase diarrhea.
    What is the .11 cc's you have been giving for pain?
    Need the picture to try and assess age, is he even old enough for eyes to be open yet?
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Jabs09 Guest

Name:  972AB608-E228-4D77-9C1E-AB5978CA5D5D.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  169.9 KB

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Jabs09 from:

Follow these instructions for care and feeding and skip past trying to reunite with mother part as it's way past that point

https://www.squirrelsandmore.com/pag...-baby-squirrel

As the other posters stated you want Esbilac powdered - not the liquid canned one. You can buy at Petco/Petsmart and get free syringes from CVS/Walgreens pharmacy. You need the 1 mL ones not the larger ones as they take experience to control so he doesn't asprate

1mL Syringe (no needle):

Name:  31ljTwUJpaL.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  9.9 KB

This formula:

Name:  91kEjsPHwRL._SY450_.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  37.5 KB

That squirrel is severely dehydrated based on the droppings and looks like a fall juvenile so there is more going on here. How long has he been on Pedialyte, since Sunday? Is there any movement in the hind quarters, tail? What county are you in, anywhere near Orlando? Is there discharge from the nose? The eye appears sealed. Check your private messages under "Notifications" at top of board.

Referred to squirrel friendly vet in her city. Please let the board know how your squirrel makes out

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SophieSquirrel:

4Puddles (02-21-2018), Nancy in New York (02-21-2018)

Jabs09 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SophieSquirrel View Post
    Referred to squirrel friendly vet in her city. Please let the board know how your squirrel makes out

Dave, you have been SO helpful and provided a plethora of valuable information! Thank you a million times over! I went and grabbed the suggested puppy powder, and following your mix guidelines, he ate almost 2 ml. I stopped the Pedialyte and he is drinking water, I didn't realize that it could have an adverse effect. The vet was able to get him in Friday morning. I will be sure to post his update afterwards.

For the other questions; I am giving him .11 cc's of infant ibuprofen, and I am in the Fort Myers/Cape Coral area. The problem I had with finding a rehabber is that we only have CROW and they will not rehab him in this condition, because he more than likely will be handicapped.

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Jabs09 from:

That sweetheart can live a happy life with a disability. Thank you both for giving him a chance. And shame on anyone calling him/herself a rehabilitator if they take that chance from a critter because it’s “policy”.

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chickenlegs from:

Quote Originally Posted by Jabs09 View Post
    Dave, you have been SO helpful and provided a plethora of valuable information! Thank you a million times over! I went and grabbed the suggested puppy powder, and following your mix guidelines, he ate almost 2 ml. I stopped the Pedialyte and he is drinking water, I didn't realize that it could have an adverse effect. The vet was able to get him in Friday morning. I will be sure to post his update afterwards.

For the other questions; I am giving him .11 cc's of infant ibuprofen, and I am in the Fort Myers/Cape Coral area. The problem I had with finding a rehabber is that we only have CROW and they will not rehab him in this condition, because he more than likely will be handicapped.
    GREAT Job! Yes I got that feeling when I talked to Crow. NR's are euthanized if "they" decide that the animal will not live a quality (wild only) life and they will not surrender him back to you by policy. Sure with severe unrepairable trauma/pain euthanasia is the most humane policy. Based on what you told me he has some mobility and with Metacam, time, and rest partial recovery is possible. My "Lady" is partially paralyzed and she is a very happy girl that will play and wrestle with me for an hour. She arrived in the same condition as your little one. There are even total paraplegic sqrls fitted with wheels that are so well cared for and genuinely happy. Thats the key - having someone to love and care for them. There is great advice on this board and experts to help you keep him happy and healthy. The Henry's link I sent to your Email outlines proper diet.

You are a great person for taking on that responsibility and the rewards you get in return from your sqrl cannot be quantified.

Every life is precious - this little one is full of life and joy!

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SophieSquirrel from:

Mel1959 (02-21-2018)

Jabs, thanks so much for helping this poor little guy.

The swollen eyes are concerning to me. How do the toes look? Are any of the toes swollen? Are there any lumps or bumps on his skin? I hope the vet has wildlife experience. Of course, this isn't related to the inability to walk but make sure the vet rules out squirrel pox. Pox lesions can cause the eyes to swell shut.

It is a little early for pox but it sure needs to be ruled out.

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

Has the poop / pee question been answered? Can he? I worry about them when they have limited movement like this.

22. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    Jabs, thanks so much for helping this poor little guy.

The swollen eyes are concerning to me. How do the toes look? Are any of the toes swollen? Are there any lumps or bumps on his skin? I hope the vet has wildlife experience. Of course, this isn't related to the inability to walk but make sure the vet rules out squirrel pox. Pox lesions can cause the eyes to swell shut.

It is a little early for pox but it sure needs to be ruled out.
    I was looking at the spot above the thigh at the 2 o'clock position. Might be a photographic anomaly....

The vet has extensive wildlife experience - Even though it's a FL legal vet I will PM you the contact so the thread is not unilaterally moved from public view.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.