Thread: possible black mold exposure

Threaded View

Default possible black mold exposure

I suspect my 5 year old female grey has been exposed to black mold. Today she had green mucus running from both nostrils, watery eyes, and was acting lethargic. She still has a good appetite, but the speed of her eating is greatly reduced and her breathing while eating periodically sounds off - she doesn't seem to be having any issues with her teeth though, they look normal and she doesn't avoid using any of them. I checked in her nest box and saw small black dots of mold on the inside of it. she lives in a large outdoor enclosure, and she had dragged a bunch of the hay I used to cover the hardware cloth on the bottom of the enclosure into her nest box - from what I've read, wet hay is heavily associated with black mold, and it's certainly been a wet winter for us in NH.
    I've moved her to a cage indoors with a new nest box, but I'm not sure what else to do for her. There are no wildlife-friendly vets near us, and the advice for treating pets exposed to black mold ranges from just removing them from the contaminated area to giving them blood transfusions. I'm also not sure how long she's been exposed to it, or if it even is black mold rather than some other respiratory infection.

This may be unrelated, but she has also had wet fur on the inside of her back legs for a while now - I assumed it was from her peeing on one of her platforms and then sitting in it, but now I'm wondering if it could be a symptom of a more serious problem. She's had that for at least a couple of weeks (pic is from 1/24), but none of the other symptoms were present until today. I know black mold can be deadly, so if anyone has dealt with it before I'd be so so grateful for your input. Thank you!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to isaiah from:

LR (02-10-2018)