Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Squirrel Massacre

Default Squirrel Massacre

Mom and I went to the grocery store to pick up some produce for our babies.
    We didnt leave the dogs out because of the heat and we weren't going to be gone long maybe 45 min.
    When we got back I put my 11mo old son in his highchair and fixed him lunch.
    The dogs didnt greet me at the door and I figured they were sleeping.
    We have a large cage in our living room that is home to 4 of our babies. Its a large cage and takes both of us to move and the doors to the living room were doggy proof or so we thought.
    While Mom prep the food bowls and I fed my baby we heard the smallest of the dogs barking in the living room.
    Mom ran in thinking that he wiggled his way in and was harrassing the squirrels and the next thing I heard was a horrible scream from my Mom.
    I could hear the panic and terror in her voice.
    I ran in and saw that 4 of the dogs had gotten in and somehow knocked the cage onto its side.
    The biggest of the dogs held one of the babies in its mouth and my Mom was struggling with her to get her to turn it loose. It was still alive and Mom managed to get it from her while I was frantically looking for the other 3.
    There was squirrel tails everywhere... and blood.
    I found one of the babies lying on the floor dead.
    Its hind legs had been eaten, tail totally gone, and its eye was on the floor about a foot away. Im still not sure which one it was because its poor little body was mangled so badly. But it was one of our females either Layla or Lexus.
    Somewhere in the confusion I got all the dog outside.
    And Joy the little one that Mom had gotten from the dog died. Probably from shock or a broken back or both.
    We both began tearing the room apart looking for the 2 missing babies.
    I was counting tails that were on the floor. We have one tail unaccounted for. So we know that at least one of them is injured.
    We cant find them anywhere. Im not sure if the dogs ate them or if they managed to get away and hide.
    Im hoping for the later of the two.
    I would have expected to find more pieces and part other than just tails if they had been eaten.
    Im sorry this is a gruesome story.
    I just want to warn everyone that no matter how big or secure your cages are that this could happen.
    I love these babies and Mom and I have raised them from the time they were 3wks old.
    Please understand that we thought they were in a secure cage with doors to the room closed and blocked.
    If you have a squirrel and a dog please be super careful. We never thought it would/could happen to us.
    And please pray for Santana and Layla/Lexus?
    And help honor the memory of our beloved Joy and Layla/Lexus?
    Our hearts are hurting right now.
    We cannot fault the dogs for being dogs...
    We accept full responsibility for what has happened.
    Please pray
    ~Kit~
    Foothills Animal Rescue - we are a federally permitted volunteer group dedicated to the rehabilitation and release of injured and orphaned wildlife encompassing the entire area of upstate South Carolina and part of Hendersonville, North Carolina. USDA Licensed and Federally Permitted to handle all wildlife.
    Calls accepted 24/7 (864)282-1917

Default Re: Squirrel Massacre

Prayers for your emotional recovery...I can't even imagine seeing that terrible site. There is an absence of malice when dogs and rodents are combined, just instinct. I am hoping you can locate at least one fast and clever survivor. Your warning to others will save lives in the future--I hope.

Hugs and prayers for you and yours and the missing little ones. Know it is hard to accept, even with the knowledge that the animals were just being animals. Keeping you in my thoughts...

Quote Originally Posted by stosh2010
    Prayers for your emotional recovery...I can't even imagine seeing that terrible site. There is an absence of malice when dogs and rodents are combined, just instinct. I am hoping you can locate at least one fast and clever survivor. Your warning to others will save lives in the future--I hope.
    Thank you.
    I keep praying and hoping
    ~Kit~
    Foothills Animal Rescue - we are a federally permitted volunteer group dedicated to the rehabilitation and release of injured and orphaned wildlife encompassing the entire area of upstate South Carolina and part of Hendersonville, North Carolina. USDA Licensed and Federally Permitted to handle all wildlife.

momma2boo Guest

Unhappy Re: Squirrel Massacre

What a horrible experience, so sorry this has happened.

We've been rehabbing for years with the dogs and never had a problem.
    Its just caught us so off gaurd.
    Im afraid my Mom is inconsolable right now.
    I keep finding myself wishing I had the words.
    Wishing I knew what happened to the 2 missing.
    Its the not knowing.
    Shes gone to find comfort with her NR kids and I hope it brings her some peace.
    ~Kit~

And to make things worse they were days away from being moved to the release cage.
    Im so mad at myself and so worried about the 2 MIA that they might be hiding injured somewhere and too scared to come out for help.
    ~Kit~

Unhappy Re: Squirrel Massacre

I can just imagine the horror, poor babies.
    I feel so bad for you and mom, should have never happened...
    Hell of a way to learn it can.

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone
    I can just imagine the horror, poor babies.
    I feel so bad for you and mom, should have never happened...
    Hell of a way to learn it can.
    I cant even look at the dogs right now.
    No squirrel should ever have to go through what I witnessed today. No rehabber should either.
    My hands are still shaking and my mind filled with images that wont go away.
    ~Kit~

virgo062 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SoccarMomSquirrelSaver
    I cant even look at the dogs right now.
    Like you said....You can't fault them...I am SO sorry I really don't even have words right now.....I have chills all over so I can't even imagine what you guys are going through....

That's a hard lesson but a valuable one....Animals will be animals and you can't be to careful....OMG I am so sorry Tell your mama I am thinking of her and if she wants to call and talk she has my number....WOW this could take a long time to get over

I understand it's hard... You will never know what set the dogs off but you know you have to forgive them, and yourself!
    We preach all the time about animals and their nature, this is just another example. It don't make them bad dogs...

Praying for you.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    ~Kit~

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

Ok, that brings tears to my eyes...

OH KIT!!!! I'm SO sorry that this happened! I know you're both heartbroken! I'll be praying for everyone, and hope that you find the other two hidden. Those poor babies! I would have never thought that the dogs could get into that room! It seemed to be an awesome setup!
    Please let me know if there's anything I can do...Tell your mom that I'm sorry this happened

virgo062 Guest

That looks like a pretty strong cage........How in the world?

Quote Originally Posted by virgo062
    That looks like a pretty strong cage........How in the world?
    They managed to separate the top from the base and tip it over.
    I didnt think they could like I said it take both of us to move it.
    ~Kit~

I am so sorry. I totally understand, when I 1st started rehabbing years ago. I had the babies in my guest bedroom. My springer spaniel snuck in at feeding time and hid under the bed when I made my exit sweep. I came back in to find he had eaten the babies (3) actually swallowing them alive and whole so he wouldn't get in trouble. I know the feeling - and I am praying for you. Lesson for all. Dogs will be dogs - I try to explain that to folks when they get mad at creatures for being creatures. Like the parable about the frog & the scorpion. "But it is in my nature" I know it hurts no less, but feel that there are others that have experienced this tradgedy too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Scorpion_and_the_Frog
    Nancy
    Illinois Licensed Wildlife Rehabilitator

take a peek at my website for fun happenings and cute critters!

http://www.2ndhandranch.com/index.html

Thank you to all that made the Rehab Cottage dream come true

So sorry Kit. I can't imagine how you guys feel. I know you and your mom go above and beyond to help ANY critter in need. I pray that you find peace and that the last two are recovered safely. If you need anything, please don't hesitate to call.

Run free little angels who crossed the bridge.

Lisa and Kit

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast