Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Risu's left eye is injured

Default Risu's left eye is injured

Risu was missing for 3 days and finally came to see me Sunday. That is when I first noticed that her eye was injured, it looked to me like it may just happened shortly before she came to see me, but I could be wrong. There was a little bit of blood, her eye was/is droopy and it looked like there may was a little mucus from being irritated.
    I prepped some clavamox (I was given proper dosage), but I didn't see her yesterday at all. She came late afternoon today, and her eye looks cloudy (clear film over the entire eye).
    I'm afraid that she may be going blind or already is in that eye (left).
    I am just so heartbroken, we just lost Sabrina. I have literally cried every day since we lost Sabrina.
    There is a chance that she might already be pregnant. She also isn't staying in a nestbox. I'm so scared and worried for her.
    What can I do for her? She took the antibiotic nut, but didn't come back for the one with ibuprofen or a block.

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to lukaslolamaus:

cava (02-07-2018), LR (02-07-2018)

Default Re: Risu's left eye is injured

Can you catch her and bring her in or put her in the RC for observation? If she’s already pregnant then I don’t know what harm there would be if she built a nest in the RC and had her babies there. If she is going blind, or already blind, she will be at a disadvantage in the wild. I am no expert, so maybe other more experienced folks know reasons why this might not be a good idea or have other suggestions. I hope she returns tomorrow.

4. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

cava (02-07-2018), LR (02-07-2018), lukaslolamaus (02-06-2018), muggsy'sgm (02-07-2018), Rocky1 (02-06-2018), SammysMom (02-06-2018)

The AB will help to prevent a secondary infection. Don’t give up hope on her eye yet, I have seen on the TSB where injured/cloudy eyes have recovered. Can you see any damage to the actual eye, perhaps the cloudyness is mucus, tears, blood etc from a nearby injury and not actual damage to the eye?

Quote Originally Posted by lukaslolamaus View Post
    Risu was missing for 3 days and finally came to see me Sunday. That is when I first noticed that her eye was injured, it looked to me like it may just happened shortly before she came to see me, but I could be wrong. There was a little bit of blood, her eye was/is droopy and it looked like there may was a little mucus from being irritated.
    I prepped some clavamox (I was given proper dosage), but I didn't see her yesterday at all. She came late afternoon today, and her eye looks cloudy (clear film over the entire eye).
    I am just so heartbroken, we just lost Sabrina. I have literally cried every day since we lost Sabrina.
    There is a chance that she might already be pregnant. She also isn't staying in a nestbox. I'm so scared and worried for her.
    What can I do for her? She took the antibiotic nut, but didn't come back for the one with ibuprofen or a block.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

6. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

cava (02-07-2018), lennysmom (02-06-2018), LR (02-07-2018), lukaslolamaus (02-06-2018), Nancy in New York (02-07-2018), Rocky1 (02-06-2018)

I would consider putting her in the release cage if possible also. Even if just for observation purposes. Prayers going up for sweet Risu...
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

8. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SammysMom:

cava (02-07-2018), lennysmom (02-06-2018), LR (02-07-2018), lukaslolamaus (02-06-2018), Mel1959 (02-07-2018), Rocky1 (02-06-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Can you catch her and bring her in or put her in the RC for observation? If she’s already pregnant then I don’t know what harm there would be if she built a nest in the RC and had her babies there. If she is going blind, or already blind, she will be at a disadvantage in the wild. I am no expert, so maybe other more experienced folks know reasons why this might not be a good idea or have other suggestions. I hope she returns tomorrow.
    I can try, but I doubt that I will be able to trap her. She is a very smart wild girl and very stubborn.

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to lukaslolamaus from:

LR (02-07-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    The AB will help to prevent a secondary infection. Don’t give up hope on her eye yet, I have seen on the TSB where injured/cloudy eyes have recovered. Can you see any damage to the actual eye, perhaps the cloudyness is mucus, tears, blood etc from a nearby injury and not actual damage to the eye?
    It was almost dark when she finally came and it was really hard to tell. The cloudy film is clear, so definitely possible that it is mucus.

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to lukaslolamaus:

Rocky1 (02-06-2018), TubeDriver (02-07-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by SammysMom View Post
    I would consider putting her in the release cage if possible also. Even if just for observation purposes. Prayers going up for sweet Risu...
    Thank you, I will get the RC set up tomorrow morning. I just don't see how to attempt to trap without completely losing her trust. She was very distant today.

You will know what to do because she will tell you...
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

15. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SammysMom:

cava (02-07-2018), lennysmom (02-06-2018), lukaslolamaus (02-06-2018), Mel1959 (02-07-2018), muggsy'sgm (02-07-2018), Nancy in New York (02-07-2018)

The droopy look to the eye is probably due to conjunctiva (mucous membrane) swelling from the injury. With corneal scratches and punctures, often the eye will look cloudy/hazy as it is healing even if there is not a secondary infection. I believe it is because of the inflammation in the eye itself. Once healed the eye might clear back up or have and area that is permanently cloudy from scar tissue. Eyes are not very fast at healing, especially if the damage is deep because of their limited blood supply. Ideally you would put an antibiotic ointment in her eye every 8 hours but I assume that is not a practical option. The clavamox should also help prevent secondary infection, however if she does happen to be pregnant, it might be dangerous for the babies. Other than the look of the eye, did she appear to be acting normally the last time you saw her?
    “Some people talk to animals. Not many listen though. That's the problem.” -A.A Milne

17. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to 4Puddles:

lukaslolamaus (02-06-2018), Mel1959 (02-07-2018)

Thank you for your input. We confirmed that the AB is safe in case of pregnancy.
    Risu seems physically well other than her eye, but much more distant towards me.

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to lukaslolamaus from:

4Puddles (02-06-2018)

Thank you for your input. We confirmed that the AB is safe in case of pregnancy.
    Risu seems physically well other than her eye, but much more distant towards me.
    Glad to hear it is safe in pregnancy! If you cannot do antibiotic eye drops then I am sure the clavamox will help. A scratched eye can make anyone grumpy and distant, I can speak from personal experience (my chicken pecked me in the eye). If the injury is minor, the pain should actually go away quickly. I hope your girl feels better soon!
    “Some people talk to animals. Not many listen though. That's the problem.” -A.A Milne

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to 4Puddles from:

lukaslolamaus (02-06-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by 4Puddles View Post
    Glad to hear it is safe in pregnancy! If you cannot do antibiotic eye drops then I am sure the clavamox will help. A scratched eye can make anyone grumpy and distant, I can speak from personal experience (my chicken pecked me in the eye). If the injury is minor, the pain should actually go away quickly. I hope your girl feels better soon!
    Thank you.

I'm praying for sweet Risu's eye and for her safety out there and for you as well. I know how we worry about our wild babies out there, especially when they are injured. Glad you were able to get some ABs in her.
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

"Don't cry because it's over - smile because it happened." Dr. Seuss

24. Serious fuzzy thank you's to lennysmom from:

Quote Originally Posted by lennysmom View Post
    I'm praying for sweet Risu's eye and for her safety out there and for you as well. I know how we worry about our wild babies out there, especially when they are injured. Glad you were able to get some ABs in her.
    Thank you, we definitely need the prayers.

26. Serious fuzzy thank you's to lukaslolamaus from:

lennysmom (02-06-2018)

Here are some pictures that I took Sunday evening, I meant to post them earlier.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

28. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to lukaslolamaus:

cava (02-07-2018), lennysmom (02-06-2018)

It’s hard to tell in the pictures, but is it possible that her third eyelid is swollen?

It’s hard to tell in the pictures, but is it possible that her third eyelid is swollen?
    Yes I think that there is some swelling, but I'm not sure what you mean by third eyelid.

Yes I think that there is some swelling, but I'm not sure what you mean by third eyelid.
    In the corner of the eye there is a protective membrane called the third eyelid. In dogs and cats it is normally barely noticeable but it is able to spread and cover part of the eye when there is irritation. People kind of have what is left over after evolution (the little pink lump in the corner of each eye closest to your nose). Here is s picture of the third eyelid showing in a dog (the white portion). It looks very similar to your girls eye to me. Name:  B00CF5B2-638C-4253-B1C3-2255C7373438.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  109.6 KB

32. Serious fuzzy thank you's to 4Puddles from:

In the corner of the eye there is a protective membrane called the third eyelid. In dogs and cats it is normally barely noticeable but it is able to spread and cover part of the eye when there is irritation. People kind of have what is left over after evolution (the little pink lump in the corner of each eye closest to your nose). Here is s picture of the third eyelid showing in a dog (the white portion). It looks very similar to your girls eye to me. Name:  B00CF5B2-638C-4253-B1C3-2255C7373438.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  109.6 KB
    Oh ok, that is the corner where the blood and mucus were when I first saw theinjury. I wished the pictures were better, but it was getting dark and cloudy.

Oh ok, that is the corner where the blood and mucus were when I first saw theinjury. I wished the pictures were better, but it was getting dark and cloudy.
    Maybe most of the injury is to the tissue surrounding the eye instead of the eye itself...that would be great news! Feeling hopeful for a speedy recovery

35. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to 4Puddles:

lukaslolamaus (02-06-2018), Mel1959 (02-07-2018)

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast