Thread: “Exotic Nutrition “ Good? Bad?

Default “Exotic Nutrition “ Good? Bad?

We just had a new exotic pet store open in our area. They mainly carry the Exotic Nutrition brand name. They have a “Squirel Diet”, and also a Monkey Biscuit product ( I’ve seem some mention they offer these?) Do any know if this brand has a good reputation with rehabbers? Our first choice is Henry’s; but, when we have picky seasons, I’m trying to experiment with a variety of blocks to keep them eating something healthy.
    After asking for more details, the so called squirrel diet is a mix of nuts, dried fruits, and “etc”; so may not be a good thing after all . But the monkey biscuits?
    Also, they carry “Katee Rodent Blocks”.

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Snicker Bar:

LR (02-02-2018), SophieSquirrel (02-02-2018)

Default Re: “Exotic Nutrition “ Good? Bad?

I have never used it or actually seen the product - photo below shows pellets with loose nuts/dried fruit mixed in. Could be a lot of "cherry picking" by the squirrel. Variety is the key to a healthy squirrel with any nut ingredients in the right proportions. Even Henry's contain some nuts depending on the product. I would say use Teklad 2016 or Mazuri Rodent as your primary base diet and you could add Exotic Nutrition Deluxe Squirrel as a treat in smaller amounts. Protein seems high as a primary food. Kaytee as a base block diet is OK if you can't get the others. Most of us use Henry's as a supplement. I would be interested in the calcium ratio and a detailed breakdown of percentages of each ingredient, especially nuts. Just for the hay of it I am going to call them Monday and I will post the findings. I order glass American made Lixit brand water bottles (the only ones I use) and saucer wheels from Exotic Nutrition

Perhaps someone else has more experience with this product? Exotic Nutrition is a good company.

I have a Prairie Dog and prefer the Brisky PD formulation to Exotic Nutrition, but a Prairie Dog's diet is way more critical than a Gray Squirrel. Brisky does not make a Squirrel product, only a PD pellet.

Monkey biscuits are OK just don't overfeed - use an occasional treat. Ask if they are made by Zupreem

The important thing is any diet should not contain products from China as pretty much everything from there is toxic. Exotic N states it's made in the USA.

http://www.exoticnutrition.com/Produ...339S227EN.aspx

Name:  Squirrel Package Set.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  165.7 KB

4. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SophieSquirrel:

Diggie's Friend (02-03-2018), LR (02-02-2018), muggsy'sgm (02-03-2018), Snicker Bar (02-03-2018)

Holy Moly...

INGREDIENTS: walnuts, pecans, pistachios, almonds, soyhulls, solvent extracted soybean meal, wheat middings, grinding oats, dried apple, dried pear, dried golden rasins, mono dicalcium phospate, calcium carbonate, salt, yeast culture, l. acidophilus, s. faecium, s. cerevisiae, choline chloride, natural chloline chloride, dl methionine, yucca schidigera extract, magnesium potassium sulfate, zinc oxide, mineral oil, copper sulfate, colbolt carbonate, calcium iodate, sodium selenate, manganous oxide, zinc sulate, ferrous sulfate, colbolt sulfate, copper oxide, niacin supplement, vitamin d-3 supplement, vitamin a supplement, vitamin e supplement, vitamin b-12 supplement, pantothenic acid, menadione sodium bisulfite complex, folic acid, riboflavin supplement, biotin, pyridoxine hcl, thiamine mononitrate.

6. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cava:

Chickenlegs (02-02-2018), LR (02-02-2018), Snicker Bar (02-03-2018)

8. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Chickenlegs:

cava (02-03-2018), island rehabber (02-03-2018), Lighten-Up (02-04-2018), SammysMom (02-02-2018), Snicker Bar (02-03-2018)

EN's Prairie Dog chow contains soy and no Timothy - NOT good for PD's.

soy hulls, calcium carbonate, mangane proteinate, wheat midds, grinding oats, solvent extracted soybean meal, zinc proteinate, colbolt proteinate, copper proteinate, mineral oil, vitamin D-3, vitamin A and vitamin E supplement.

Brisky does not list their ingredients on their page but I know it's Timothy based b/c I am well acquainted with Lynda Watson who formulated it.

Brisky's Prairie Dog Pellets is the first commercial feed developed to suit the Prairie Dogs unique nutritional requirements. It was formulated with the assistance of Lynda Watson of Texas, a nationally known Prairie dog consultant, along with Brisky's nutritionists.

Brisky does have a Flyer chow but I don't know anything about Flyer's requirements not having kept any. I know their PD chow is tops but again with the Flyer chow no ingredients listed on the site! Perhaps some of the Flyer PPL have used this?

http://brisky.com/exotic-pet-diets/s...-squirrel-diet

10. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SophieSquirrel:

cava (02-03-2018), Diggie's Friend (02-03-2018), Snicker Bar (02-03-2018)

Yikes, ok! We won’t be buying this . I was just hopeful something local ( besides our Pet Dmart/Pet Co) would finally have some healthy options . Oh well ! Waiting on the HTeeklan to come in... anxious to see if they will like it. So far the Henry’s Wild Bites is the only one that they will eat ; but now one has completely refused it in all forms , fashions. I did try a recipe posted here for flyers ( and the other two grays) that was a hit with The Teenies ( flyers); Laz’s mom I believe? Almond butter, yogurt and HHB’s.. worked for them at least!

Dandies ( “The Rotund”) is just being stubborn. But as can see, sh s not lacking in the flesh...Name:  29E4A7A4-C954-4FFB-9684-693CE54E5AE4.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  119.0 KB

12. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Snicker Bar:

cava (02-03-2018), Lighten-Up (02-04-2018), Rtheimpaler (01-10-2021)