Thread: Missing Eye Help

Default Missing Eye Help

Hello Everyone,

As I was walking home today, I found a squirrel under a tree I would say fox squirrel around 3-4 months old, looks healthy but I noticed one eye ball missing, I walked towards him from his missing eye's position and seems he did not notice me coming at all until I got very close and went up the tree! His other eye is ok I think, or at least it looks ok, should I be concerned? is he ok to be in the outside or is he/she considered NR?
    There is also another squirrel with him/her on the tree!

Any advise would be appreciated, also Moby says hello to everyone

Thanks Ya'll
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to RamiS:

LR (01-22-2018), SophieSquirrel (01-23-2018)

Default Re: Missing Eye Help

Quote Originally Posted by RamiS View Post
    Hello Everyone,

As I was walking home today, I found a squirrel under a tree I would say fox squirrel around 3-4 months old, looks healthy but I noticed one eye ball missing, I walked towards him from his missing eye's position and seems he did not notice me coming at all until I got very close and went up the tree! His other eye is ok I think, or at least it looks ok, should I be concerned? is he ok to be in the outside or is he/she considered NR?
    There is also another squirrel with him/her on the tree!
    POOR BABY! Well he is a wild animal and although he is at a serious disadvantage he is able to navigate and will manage somewhat. A downside is crossing the street and predators approaching from his blind side. Not much you can do except perhaps leave nuts & seeds under his tree to help him out in the winter & keep him close to his tree so he doesn't wander too far when foraging b/c of predators. If it was a totally blind squirrel I would recommend capture. I suppose you could easily capture him but you would have a wild 1/2 blind adult squirrel that is now frightened, doesn't understand your good intentions, and can inflict serious bites.

Keep an eye out for him when you walk home and watch for signs of infection or failure to heal over. Does it seem like an open wound or is the eye healed over? If it's infected I would recommend capture, vet treatment (if available), and release

4. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SophieSquirrel:

Diggie's Friend (01-30-2018), KarmaKay (01-22-2018), LR (01-22-2018), RamiS (01-22-2018)

Default Re: Missing Eye Help

I will go check on him today and test his response on the other eye

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RamiS from:

SophieSquirrel (01-23-2018)