Thread: squirrel bite, worry about rabies?

Threaded View

Default Re: squirrel bite, worry about rabies?

Quote Originally Posted by postalkittie View Post
    we were giving them kitten formula by bottle at first then wild songbird food witch the outdoor squirrels regularlly eat it has sunflower- seeds corn - dried cherries. they also recieved peanuts and other fruits nuts and seeds- and some veggies. The original site i checked did not include insects which i found out today. I would not be as freaked about bite if the first two did not die and now brittney looks like she also will not make it cann't get to vet until tomorrow and seen rabies can show up in animals from 7 days to 2 years depending on amimal and bite and symptoms match the one i lost two weeks ago and now brittney. since the are so tiny and fragile having them almost 3 months i was calm reading answeres but the more i look the more questions i have just to clarify everything. sorry for bugging everyone but your help is appreciated as i'm just trying to help the little ones
    Unfortunately that "diet" is what's killing your babies and pain is why your getting bit. Kitten formula was wrong to began with, it should have been a qualified puppy formula. Kitten formula does not have the nutrition or calcium a squirrel requires. A squirrel has a very high calcium requirement. Fruit does not hold any nutritional value and all the nuts, seed, and corn has done is rob their bodies of calcium causing MBD. (Metabolic bone disease) The symptoms you describe with the last baby pretty much confirms that. MBD can be turned around in most cases IF it's not to late. MBD is painful, mbd kills.

If you have any chance to save her you must start the protocol for mbd immediately!
    Click on this link: https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...dated-3-31-09)

If you are successful you must correct that diet! This link is for the healthy diet for pet / captive squirrels:
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels

Feeding a pet/captive squirrel by what the wilds are seen eating is a common uneducated mistake many make. A good quality rodent block should have been the first solid food introduced. In the wild squirrels eat a large variety of different foods to balance their daily nutritional requirements. They know what to eat and how to eat to maintain that balance. In captivity we have to balance that requirement with and how we know and feed them accordingly

Last edited by stepnstone; 01-26-2019 at 12:18 AM.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

2. 7 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Diggie's Friend (01-26-2019), GoldenEyes (01-26-2019), island rehabber (01-26-2019), Nancy in New York (01-26-2019), SammysMom (01-26-2019), TubeDriver (01-26-2019)

Members who have read this thread: 1