Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: squirrel bite, worry about rabies?

Default Re: squirrel bite, worry about rabies?

Quote Originally Posted by postalkittie View Post
    when i got babies my daughter checked into what to feed them. this is what they told us to feed them. at time did not know of the squirrel. sorry cause as ussual my good intensions screwed things up and mi caused my babies to suffer. as i regularlly feed and they eat the wild songbird food should i stop giving it to the outside wild squirrels?
    Hi, postalkittie. I know you meant well. Unfortunately, whoever said giving the squirrels seeds, nuts and fruit gave you the wrong advice. Hopefully, it's not too late to correct this. Will you be able to administer Calcium as recommended in the website that stepnstone provided and will you be able to feed the squirrel the proper foods also?

postalkittie Guest

thank you for all the advise will do

postalkittie Guest

britney took a quarter of the calcium from dropper no problems .seemed to want more but following the distribution rate. put rice sock by her. since not very mobile as yet should i give her puppy formula to help fed her as i do not have any rodent blocks as of yet.

Yes, if she will take puppy formula (powdered Esbilac) then you can certainly give it to her. She might also like full fat vanilla yogurt offered in a shallow bowl. It can be messy, though.

It’s imperative that you follow the MBD protocol to the letter. Her calcium level needs to be maintained by offering the calcium at regular intervals. Even if you notice an improvement you must continue giving calcium. The MBD didn’t happen overnight and it can’t be cured overnight. It may take several months, but hang in there. I hope Britney recovers.

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Scooterzmom (01-26-2019), stepnstone (01-26-2019)

britney took a quarter of the calcium from dropper no problems .seemed to want more but following the distribution rate. put rice sock by her. since not very mobile as yet should i give her puppy formula to help fed her as i do not have any rodent blocks as of yet.
    Yes as long as you have the correct puppy formula, it should be the powered, never liquid.
    I'm attaching a picture below of the correct Esbilac formula.

Can you purchase a non-shut off heating pad? The rice sock is really not adequate for a continued heat source.
    Also I would purchase some liquid infant ibuprofen to give this baby as mbd is painful and managing pain is detrimental to healing.
    We will need a weight on baby for dosing.
    Are you going to try to turn this baby around yourself or are you willing to relinquish to an experienced rehabber? No pressure, just asking.
    If you are going to do this yourself, you must follow the directions provided by this board and not deviate from the established course.

Name:  i-fbcDH6c-S.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  65.8 KB
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Scooterzmom (01-26-2019)

postalkittie Guest

Smile Re: squirrel bite, worry about rabies?

sorry took so long but did not want to say anything to early. But thankfully I found this sight as brittney is doing fantastic. took about 4 days to see good improvment. Shes almost back to 100 percent . any advice about how to get her to eat wide variety of food from diet list would be helpful. fruits no problem veggies not so good unless I LEAVE UNTIL SHES REALLY HUNGRY. also what is normal amount to feed about 1 to 2 lbs. also having problem getting to take calcium. any suggestions on where to get the rodent foodcan not find at pet store or feed store and if still should get and did try to get rehaber still waiting on call back since multy messages left over week and a half. Like I said thank you so much as without everyones help I would have lost her.

sorry took so long but did not want to say anything to early. But thankfully I found this sight as brittney is doing fantastic. took about 4 days to see good improvment. Shes almost back to 100 percent . any advice about how to get her to eat wide variety of food from diet list would be helpful. fruits no problem veggies not so good unless I LEAVE UNTIL SHES REALLY HUNGRY. also what is normal amount to feed about 1 to 2 lbs. also having problem getting to take calcium. any suggestions on where to get the rodent foodcan not find at pet store or feed store and if still should get and did try to get rehaber still waiting on call back since multy messages left over week and a half. Like I said thank you so much as without everyones help I would have lost her.
    Thank you for the update, postalkittie. I'm glad to hear Brittney is doing a lot better.

This is where to get Henry's Healthy Blocks. They need to be stored in the freezer right away or they will go bad. Put one out for breakfast. If she doesn't eat it within a few hours, throw it away. Same goes for lunch and dinner. Please make sure she doesn't stash them.

https://www.henryspets.com/healthy-b...adult-formula/

If you want Brittney to eat her veggies, leave it with her. When she realizes that's all she'll be getting, she'll start eating. Tips on getting her to eat healthy:

https://www.henryspets.com/nutrition-info/

I hope someone will be able to give you advice on how to get her to take her Calcium.

If you're looking for a Rehabber for Brittney, someone on TSB may be able to find someone for you who will not euthanize.

It’s wonderful that you’re seeing some improvement, but it will take many more weeks for her bones to regain the calcium they lost. Stay the course for the MBD treatment. Some folks mix the calcium with the formula if you are providing formula.

The Esbilac powdered puppy formula can be purchased online at places like Amazon and Chewey.com (search for the cheapest price). Locally I’ve found it at Tractor Supply Stores, Pet Supermarket and feed stores. Some WalMarts also carry it.

A good rodent block is essential for Brittney to stay healthy. Give only veggies, no fruit. She won’t starve herself....she will eventually eat them. . Fruit is a treat/reward after she’s eaten the good stuff.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.