Thread: Hi

Detroitoutcast Guest

Default Hi

Question, I'm hand feeding a few squirrels in the back. The other day as one of squirrels when approaching me made a sound similar to a cat purring but at a consistent sound level.
    What is he/she telling me ?

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Detroitoutcast:

Diggie's Friend (02-18-2018), SophieSquirrel (02-18-2018)

Default Re: Hi

Sounds like "Muk Muk" you are describing - also called purring/buzzing. I have re-posted something I wrote for another post describing squirrel language:

Watch this video below. Before the "Kuk's" and "Quaa's" begin the squirrel <Jill> makes a low sound that some people call "purring" but is actually called a "Muk Muk" or Buzz/Buzzing. Is that the sound you were referring to?

Here is the rundown of basic squirrel language and terminology.

"Muk Muk" (Buzz) used by babies to get the mother to nurse, mating squirrels to solicit mating, and captive squirrels to greet or request food. It's a "coaxing sound". In the case of Jill in the video it is a precursor to the Kuk's (notice tail flagging while buzzing).

The rapid "Kuks" (Kuk, Kuk, Kuk) means imminent danger and a predator is approaching!

The "Quaa" which follows the Kuks" indicate there is a predator but the threat is moving on.

The "Quaa Moan" which some squirrel PPL refer to as the "inside voice" (muted Quaa's) means no predator in sight - it's gone but remain cautious.

Sometimes Kuks, Quaas, and Quaa Moans erupt from a captive squirrel with no threat present. Strange noises and ojects can cause an alert. Once you have bonded with your squirrel feel honored - he/she is warning you of the perceived danger

"Tooth Chattering" is pure aggression - touch my nut and I will bite you! Do not confuse with Bruxing for molar wear or contentment.

Chirps and grunts while playing are a reaction to food being taken by another squirrel, pleasure or displeasure, and response to a painful nip.

Video with Muk Muk, Kuk's and Quaa's <Jill the Internet Squirrel>

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SophieSquirrel:

Diggie's Friend (02-18-2018), gunpackingrandma (02-19-2018)

They also purr and it sounds just like a cat. I think it may be more of a boy thing - both of mine do it - I call them my little motorboats. When I walk in their room they both start - it is a happy sound, much like a cat's purr is. They have made the sound from infancy. Your buddy is happy to see you (and your treats).

6. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Diggie's Friend (02-18-2018), gunpackingrandma (02-19-2018), SophieSquirrel (02-18-2018)

Sophiesquirel wrote:

Before the "Kuk's" and "Quaa's" begin the squirrel <Jill> makes a low sound that some people call "purring" but is actually called a "Muk Muk" or Buzz/Buzzing. Is that the sound you were referring to?
    Yah, just revving up their motor for the main event!

Crittermom wrote: They also purr and it sounds just like a cat.
    The Eastern Gray squirrel is often referred to as the "cat squirrel" for reason of this sound they make.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.