Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems squirrel crying shaking head, think something in ears or early infection

Default Problems squirrel crying shaking head, think something in ears or early infection

I have an adult male squirrel about a year-and-a-half raised him since he was about two weeks old. He has started shaking his head and crying as if something's in his ear. I can't see anything in there. This is the second time he's done this. Last time it lasted about 30 minutes and then he stopped. This time it had didn't stop . He seems in distress . Can anyone help me with this or at least find me a vet that won't take him away. Located near the Woodlands Texas

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to PLOK from:

LR (01-19-2018)

Default Re: Problems squirrel crying shaking head, think something in ears or early infection

This might be a seizure.
    I know it sounds weird but what is his diet?

Welcome to TSB.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

LR (01-19-2018)

Default Re: Problems squirrel crying shaking head, think something in ears or early infection

I sent a PM to PLOK to refresh the screen to see posts.

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

LR (01-19-2018), Nancy in New York (01-19-2018)

PLOK, I see that you have logged off. When you come back I want to give you some information to consider. The most common problem we see on TheSquirrelBoard is due to the diet. A diet low in calcium and high in phosphorus foods like nuts will lead to a condition called Metabolic Bone Disease. The symptoms of MBD are seizures and/or hind end paralysis.

Do you think this might be seizures?
    Does the diet have a lot of nuts?
    Have you noticed clumsiness, falling or dragging a leg or both legs?

If the answer is yes to the above questions, MBD is a very good possibility.
    It can be treated but it is life threatening and requires megadosing calcium and a diet change.

We can help you.

This is the treatment protocol for MBD.
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-MBD-Treatment

If the diet does not contain a lot of nuts, corn or seeds, the condition is probably not seizures related to the diet.

8. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

lennysmom (01-19-2018), LR (01-19-2018), Nancy in New York (01-19-2018)

I'm new so forgive me if I don't do this correctly. He is on a strict diet. He gets Henry's healthy blocks for squirrels 2 per day, he gets broccoli, a little bit of avocado, a little apple, lettuce, cabbage, sometimes banana, carrots, cucumber and occasionally a piece of strawberry for a treat.

10. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to PLOK:

cava (01-20-2018), HRT4SQRLS (01-19-2018), lennysmom (01-19-2018), Nancy in New York (01-19-2018)

He gets no nuts no corn and no seeds ever

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to PLOK:

HRT4SQRLS (01-19-2018), Nancy in New York (01-19-2018)

It starts where he turns his head sideways and then he starts shaking his head and crying like there's something wrong in his head more to the left than the right. He continues to cry but gets very still like he doesn't want to move for a while. You can tell he's distressed and he's not normal. This time he went and went into his bed to hide. This is not normal for him and he's very sociable with me especially at this time of day

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to PLOK from:

LR (01-19-2018)

I was thinking there might be a parasite of some type in his ear so I try to look inside of it. I didn't see anything then I tried to rub both ears and he just cried when I rub the ears. Last time this happened it lasted about 30 minutes and then he acted like nothing was wrong. That was about 2 months ago.

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to PLOK from:

LR (01-19-2018)

He's very active runs around jumps around like Tarzan... except for today. He is part of the family and is with us all the time therefore I know his routines and the way he acts very well. Lee at Henry's pets has guided me through raising him. So I've been following the diet guidelines on their site.

18. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to PLOK:

cava (01-20-2018), lennysmom (01-19-2018), LR (01-19-2018), Nancy in New York (01-19-2018)

Actually thinking about it I thought it was just my squirrel uncoordinated, but sometimes when he's eating he will fall over backwards but then he'll just keep eating it while he's laying down.

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to PLOK from:

LR (01-19-2018)

I am so stupid as of about 2 months ago we started giving him a lot of corn on the cob. I can't believe I didn't remember that. This would coincide to about when it started shortly after we started to give him the corn.

22. Serious fuzzy thank you's to PLOK from:

LR (01-19-2018)

If this is not what is wrong with the squirrel will it hurt him to take the extra calcium? He has been eating the Henry's healthy blocks he gets to a day is that enough calcium to say that this is not the problem?

24. Serious fuzzy thank you's to PLOK from:

LR (01-19-2018)

Corn has an unhealthy calcium to phosphorous ratio. It could be MBD. You should follow the MBD protocol on the Henrys sight. The extra calcium won’t hurt him.

He could also have an inner ear infection that could be affecting his balance. I’m not familiar with your area of Texas but there are TSB members in Texas. Maybe one of them could recommend a knowledgeable vet.

When he has these episodes try putting a drop of molasses or corn syrup in his mouth. It will raise his sugar levels.

26. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

LR (01-19-2018)

Thank you... I'm sorry I wrote so many messages. I panicked as this little guy is like a child to me. I hope one of the members can help me find a safe vet for Sage.

28. Serious fuzzy thank you's to PLOK from:

LR (01-19-2018)

What city are you in?

30. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

LR (01-19-2018)

Do you have any pain medication, Meloxicam or Baby Ibuprofen. Whatever it is this little guy is in pain, be it an ear infection or MBD. Next I would give him a tums to chew on, even if it isn't MBD it won't hurt him. Next I would look up exotic vets in your area and call and ask if they will see him.
    farm mom
    Md. Licensed Master Rehabber

32. Serious fuzzy thank you's to farm mom from:

LR (01-19-2018)

Thank you for sharing the diet. It looks very good. Unless he was eating a lot of corn I don't think this is MBD but to be safe the calcium won't hurt him.

You mentioned him falling over backwards. Have you checked his teeth? Is he maloccluded? Sometimes the teeth will grow along the roof of the mouth. I would rule out the teeth as a problem.

It might very well be an ear infection but it's odd that he had it before and it went away. Ear infections usually don't go away without treatment.

When you found him was he neurologically compromised?

34. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

LR (01-20-2018)

Woodlands Texas is a suburb of Houston, right?

I don't know any vets in Houston but there is an exotic vet in San Antonio. I know that's several hours away. If you're interested in that one we can send the information.

36. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

LR (01-20-2018)

That's 4 hours from my location but please send it anyway. If bad comes to worse I'll be willing to drive it but I really would like to try to find someone a little closer. Mother is in the hospital I don't want to go very far away. There has to be a vet somewhere in this area I just need to find them. Please continue to help me find one. They just now had seven doses of the calcium supplements 500 for the first dose and then 100 each additional dose every 4 hours. He's still in distress shaking his head and crying but it's comes and goes. When he's in pain he hides curls up in a ball and his eyes barely open. My heart's breaking for him. I need to help him.

38. Serious fuzzy thank you's to PLOK from:

LR (01-20-2018)

Location is Willis, Texas.

40. Serious fuzzy thank you's to PLOK from:

LR (01-20-2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast