Thread: Squash parts

Default Squash parts

So we just baked the first ever squash ( very gross ) in our home ( a Butternut and an Acorn) for the Greys and / or Flyers. Do they like the seeds?? Do you feed the skins? Do you just cut up little cubes,and freeze the pieces? Just trying to find new veggies ( they are sick of sugar snap, mushrooms, greens of any kind...) Not sure what, if anything appeals to them here lately

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Snicker Bar from:

LR (01-14-2018)

Default Re: Squash parts

Not sure about flyers but I feed the grays Acorn and I just feed it raw. I cut a thin cross-section that consist of the inner parts, meat and rind. If there happens to be one seed stuck on, then lucky them. It's in the pumpkin family so I assume seeds are ok, here and there, but since they're high in Phos they don't get them often.

4. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cava:

dextersmom (01-15-2018), LR (01-14-2018), Snicker Bar (01-14-2018)

Ok! I’ve tried them both raw; won’t touch. So thought maybe baking them would help entice them to try some.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Snicker Bar from:

LR (01-14-2018)

Oh, you may be right. I hope they do!

With any new food that is introduced to the diet they may take a bit of time to warm up to it, just the way they are we found. Give them baked squash, for the natural starch it contains raw is moreover undigestable, causing gas as a resultm as all vegetable raw foods which contain high starches dom if not predigested by cooking before consuming them. Baked this source is more nutritious than raw, for it raises the level of beta-carotene it contains. Unlike boiled, baked squash provides anti oxidants and other vitamins boiling causes the loss and destruction of. It is lower in sugars than baked sweet potato, so it that supports keeping the bloodsugar more even. It is also a very good source of fiber, supporting a good bowel movements. In addition it is a very good source of protein, that is low in fat. If you are going to give pumpkin seeds, I would recommend the Styrian pumpkin (hulless) seeds. Oil Seed Company of Oregon carries these, just type in the name on Amazon.com and it should come up. I don't recommend the sources from overseas, as they aren't as fresh as this one grown in the USA.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

Snicker Bar (01-14-2018)

Great! It looks disgusting..... but going to introduce some in the morning , see what happens

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Snicker Bar from:

cava (01-15-2018)

I feed raw butternut squash all the time. The whole thing except I pull off the seeds most of the time. Every once in a while they will get one or two seeds. Mine love butternut squash more than any other kind. I'll cut up about a weeks worth and store it in a bowl and leave the rest uncut in the bag in the fridge. I've found it lasts longer that way and I am able to use the whole squash. If I cut the whole thing up at one time I usually have to trash some of it.

“You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.” ― John Bunyan

Sammy's TSB Thread Marvin and Charlie's TSB Thread Sadie's TSB Thread

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Jen413 from:

cava (01-15-2018)

I fed raw squash to my squirrel for many years, but she had a hard time digesting it I think for she began to give up on eating it. It is far more nutritious baked, higher in beta carotene, and vitamin E. The starches in it lower the uptake of nutrients, which is why I shared this. If your squash you had didn't perhaps it was irradiated, or you have a super clean fridge? I had a pumpkin once that lasted longer in the fridge because it dried out allot. The butternut went bad in a container in the fridge really quick. Moisture content seems to be a key factor as to how quickly squash (Cucurbita) degrades. Mold sometimes is there, just not easily seen initially.

See chart on this page: https://www.eatbydate.com/fruits/fre...r-squash-last/

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

cava (01-15-2018)

I too feed both,either raw or cooked. I am a bit lazy and buy them already sliced. With them It's hit or miss,sometimes they like it raw,and other times they want it cooked.I leave out the seeds,I feel better safe than sorry.

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to dextersmom from:

cava (01-15-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by dextersmom View Post
    I too feed both,either raw or cooked. I am a bit lazy and buy them already sliced. With them It's hit or miss,sometimes they like it raw,and other times they want it cooked.I leave out the seeds,I feel better safe than sorry.
    OMG no don't leave out the seeds, you're missing out on good stuff and happy squirrels. Mine all get seeds of every kind of squash and they LOVE them.

Pumpkin, Spaghetti, Butternut, Acorn, Pattypan, Sugar squashes, my squirrels eat every part of it.
    Kim Cassidy
    Licensed NY Wildlife Rehabilitator

19. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to kcassidy:

cava (01-15-2018), island rehabber (01-15-2018)