Thread: 10 week old suckling on himself

Default 10 week old suckling on himself

I have a 10 week old ,I think, just got him yesterday and noticed his genitalia protruding quite far out. He was in a trap cage until I got him in a bigger cage last night and noticed him suckling on himself pretty hard.. After reading a few of the threads ,I ordered the Yuk stuff . It doesn't look swelled and I didn't notice a scab but I'll get a better look when he gets up, it just hangs out quite a bit all the time and looks pink in color. Do I only put it on area surrounding the penis ,not on it? He should be weaned by now,, was eating acorns in his nest when they found him in a garage, Wouldn't help to give him formula or something else to suck on would it, is that him missing suckling on his mother ?

Default Re: 10 week old suckling on himself

I would offer him formula asap. It may help to break the habit. The Yuk definitely goes around and not on since that is such tender skin and probably raw.
    He was likely hungry and thirsty. Be sure he has lots to eat and drink. Make sure you start him right though with blocks and healthy veggies. I really would offer a syringe of very warm formula. Maybe hes younger than you think.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SammysMom:

SquirrelDad (11-07-2018), Teri (11-08-2018)

Thx for the advise, he didn't seem too interested in the formula the first day, but drank a lot tonight, do you apply yuk stuff daily or does it last more longer than that? No advise on tube. Thanks again your help, this site is a Godsend, and I've got a 7 yr old grey ,and a 2 yr. old flyer both doing great Thanks to you all!! I've got the the best of both worlds ! Day and nighttime Squirrels! Life just don't get better!!!

Is the yuk helping? You can apply as often as needed.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net