Thread: Health problems/ seizures

Default Health problems/ seizures

Hello, I created a thread here https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...01#post1249401 a little over a week ago. I have more questions, but decided a new thread was more appropriate.

The young squirrel was found after falling off of a certain height. His hind legs were paralyzed, suffered from malnutrition and had seizures (which I was certain were caused by MBD). I now have started treatment using Prednisone, but I still have some issues that I need to address.

The squirrel has started having seizures again since I posted the last thread (they had stopped after being fed calcium in large quantities). The problem I am facing is that the squirrel claws at it's head while these seizures take place, ripping off the fur on his head and on his sides. He also seems to twitch on his sides while these seizures are happening. Has anyone encountered these symptoms? I've seen MBD seizures happen often in abandoned squirrels, but this is the first time I encounter one where it seems to be worse.

The frequency it is happening at is about once per day, but sometimes two on occasions.

Thank you.

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to threenigma:

island rehabber (01-12-2018), LR (01-11-2018)

Default Re: Health problems/ seizures

I’m not familiar with what squirrels do during a seizure. What you’re describing sounds horrible. Were you able to contact any rehabbers in your area? Are you still giving the calcium? If this squirrel has MBD it will take months of daily calcium to bring its calcium levels up to where they should be. I ask about a rehabber because I was hoping someone might have a vet that would take a look at your squirrel.

I know there are medications that can be given that can help control seizures, I’m just not familiar with them. Maybe someone that knows more about this will chime in.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

LR (01-12-2018)

Muggsy, an Eastern grey, also fell from a great height. He was never quite "right," and did these freezing episodes. When he freezes, you can touch any part of him (including eyeball) and he doesn't move or blink or flinch. Snapping fingers, clapping hands, nothing works to snap him out of it. When he "comes to," he is dazed a bit, maybe trembling sometimes, and takes quicker breaths for a couple of minutes. Our vet diagnosed seizures and OCD/self-mutilation tendencies.

What you are describing sounds way more traumatic (for you and for your squirrel). I'm not a vet or a rehabber, but I am a believer in natural meds (to an EXTENT).

I introduced Muggsy to CBD (the non-psychogenic, non-euphoric part of hemp...or cannabis) flour in November 2017. He almost immediately stopped the seizing episodes, and hasn't over-groomed or self-mutilated since then.

I've worked directly with the CBD pet med company to work up a dose fit for a squirrel, and I actually only use 2/3 of the daily dose regularly. I do up it for travel or vet visits...

The CBD products can be ordered online or by phone, and are legally shipped anywhere in the US.

Has Muggsy had a seizing episode since November? Yes. And at the advice of the members of this board, I keep a small jar of organic (non blackstrap, thanks, DF) molasses in his room to rub on his lips/gums during an episode. I've thus far done that once, and his recovery was almost instantaneous.

I hope some of this helps, but whatever you do...it should probably be done with some urgency. Sending hugs to you and your squee...I know this sucks.

6. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to muggsy'sgm:

Diggie's Friend (01-13-2018), island rehabber (01-12-2018), Nancy in New York (01-12-2018), threenigma (01-12-2018), TubeDriver (01-12-2018)

Threenigma: sorry! You're in Canada. Here is a CBD manufacturer/dispenser in Canada, and it can be shipped within Canada. Dosing would be different than what I'm used to...so you'd have to email them for instructions.

https://www.cannabiscare.ca/collecti...-concentrates/

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to muggsy'sgm from:

threenigma (01-13-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by muggsy'sgm View Post
    Threenigma: sorry! You're in Canada. Here is a CBD manufacturer/dispenser in Canada, and it can be shipped within Canada. Dosing would be different than what I'm used to...so you'd have to email them for instructions.

https://www.cannabiscare.ca/collecti...-concentrates/
    Thank you so much for this. Would you have a recommended dosage? I see that the ratios vary from 250mg/30mL to 5,000mg/30mL with CBC concentrations of 0.85% by weight.

Thank you kindly.

EDIT: I just saw the pets page. Will look into this ASAP. Thanks again. https://www.cannabiscare.ca/collections/pets/

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to threenigma:

Mel1959 (01-14-2018), muggsy'sgm (01-13-2018)

How is it going with your little one?

Quote Originally Posted by muggsy'sgm View Post
    How is it going with your little one?
    Not so bad. The seizures are still present, but I believe they're slowly taking a pace down. They're also less intense when he does have one. He's currently having one seizure per day, tops. He skipped a day at least twice.
    His fur isn't in great shape, since his clawing at it has started to take a toll.