Thread: Broken toe

forkicks Guest

Default Broken toe

Hey everyone. I hope I'm not posting this in the wrong spot. I have an Eastern Grey squirrel that I raised from infancy in the fall. Her name is Kicks. On Saturday she jumped into the drawer of my desk while I was grabbing her a treat out of it, but got her toe caught in a seam in the metal face plate. She flipped out and twisted every which way until she got free, which took only a second or two. her toe is very broken now. It doesn't appear to be a compound fracture, but the toe was upside down immediately after the incident, and is now sideways. I can hear her crying in her nest box occasionally. It's worth noting that I'm from northern Ontario, and vets here won't see squirrels. Is there anything I can do for her?

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to forkicks from:

LR (01-08-2018)

Default Re: Broken toe

I'm not good with broken toes and things but I do know they can have infant ibuprofen for pain and that a heatpad set on low underneath her cage or wherever she has decided to lay may help. We will need a weight on her if you can get one in order to dose meds. It would also help the Rehabbers to have a good closeup of her toe.

Kicks is a cute name and yes you posted in the right spot!

4. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to LR:

missPixy (01-09-2018), Nancy in New York (01-08-2018)

forkicks Guest

Thank you for responding and for the advice. I have all of those things aside from the picture. Unfortunately it will all have to wait until I'm home from work. She's still pretty quick, even with her injury and she has a black coat, so a good picture might be tough, but I'll do my best.

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to forkicks:

Mel1959 (01-09-2018), Nancy in New York (01-08-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by forkicks View Post
    Thank you for responding and for the advice. I have all of those things aside from the picture. Unfortunately it will all have to wait until I'm home from work. She's still pretty quick, even with her injury and she has a black coat, so a good picture might be tough, but I'll do my best.
    Do you have a scale that you can weigh her on?
    I agree with LynnRobbins that ibuprofen will help, but
    we do need a weight or a picture to "guesstimate" her weight
    so we can dose.
    Infant ibuprofen, if dosed on the low side, has a large "margin of error",
    but we would much rather dose more accurately if possible.
    How old is she?
    I'm familiar with black squirrels, and you're right they are VERY difficult
    to tell much about the from a picture, other than they are CUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

Grinderhead (01-08-2018), LR (01-08-2018), Mel1959 (01-09-2018), missPixy (01-09-2018)

forkicks Guest

I've got a scale for parcels. I used it to dose amoxicilin for her when she was a baby. I also have an NSAID indicated for dogs. I don't know which one off hand or if that's even useful. She's got to be 5 or 4 months old now. Picture will come in a few hours.

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to forkicks:

LR (01-09-2018), Nancy in New York (01-08-2018)

forkicks Guest

Hey sorry for all the delays. I've weighed kicks and she's 500g on the dot on my scale. i also managed to get a decent picture of her injury, if not such a flattering one. It's looking worse than It did when I last checked. starting to wonder it it might indeed be compound. Pain killers aside, i suppose there's not much else I can really do for her? It also appears that instead of baby ibuprofen, i have on hand baby asprin. 81mg tablets. If that's no good i can of course get the Ibuprofen.

Name:  DSC_0083.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  75.1 KB

I hope the picture works, and thank you all.

No to aspirin!
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

13. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

missPixy (01-09-2018)

forkicks Guest

Looking at that picture, which is the best look I've so far managed to get at her finger, I'm concerned that not only is her injury compound, bone poking through skin, but it might be infected. Her paw is much warmer that the rest, and she was very lethargic this morning. She's having a hard time getting around her cage also.

Bump! This member needs dosing for ibuprofen.

Try to locate some type of antibiotic from friends or family. List what you find so someone can tell you which is best. I’m not saying you will definitely need this, but better to have it located beforehand.

Do you have any meloxicam (mobic)?

You can clean the wound with diluted betadine solution. Add a few drops to warm water so that it looks like strong tea. Gently clean with a q tip. A small amount of antibiotic salve can also be applied.

16. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Nancy in New York (01-09-2018)

forkicks Guest

Thank you Mel for responding. I've been able to get a hold of amoxicillin in 500mg capsules after pestering nearly everyone I know. I got lucky dosing her with it some months ago when she had pneumonia using another post on here and a bit of math, but a little professional guidance this time around would be far more helpful. Betadine seems to be something I could reasonably find at a drugstore. i don't have access to meloxicam.

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to forkicks from:

Need dosing for 500mg amoxicillin for 500g squirrel.

Check the NSAID you stated you had for your dog earlier. Might get lucky!
    If it is Meloxicam someone can help you with it.

Do not be surprised if he ends up chewing the toe off. It's a gross thought but it happens.

Yes, Betadine would be at the pharmacy.

20. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to LR:

Give me a minute and I will send dosing for Amoxi and for infant ibuprofen.
    IF you are going to switch to Metacam/Meloxicam you will need to stop the ibuprofen
    24 hours in advance.
    What does your little one weigh again?

Edit: OK I see that Lynn posted the weight of 500 grams.
    I will write these up and send in a pm.

22. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

LR (01-09-2018), Mel1959 (01-09-2018), stepnstone (01-09-2018)

forkicks Guest

The nsaid i have is Rimadyl/Carprofen. Will she still be releasable if she chews the toe off? I've been fretting the past while about the possibility that I might have to cut it off myself so i'm at least a little relieved to hear she can take care of that herself if it comes down to it. I suppose there's no resetting the bone? Making her a little tiny cast? I'm just making her comfortable, giving meds, and letting nature take its course here?

24. Serious fuzzy thank you's to forkicks from:

Mel1959 (01-09-2018)

The toe really shouldn’t be a problem when it comes to release—and yeah, good likelyhood she’ll chew off any damaged bits. Lllllllll You’ll be able to judge how mobile she is over the winter. I’d send Meloxicam but she likely won’t need it by the time it arrives. Squirrels are amazing healers—and you are a good squirrelmom!

26. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Chickenlegs:

LR (01-09-2018), Mel1959 (01-09-2018), stepnstone (01-09-2018)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.