Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Harlan Teklad/Envigo 2016 or 2018?!

Default Re: Harlan Teklad/Envigo 2016 or 2018?!

The problem with buying from the supplier is that you have to buy a 33 lb bag.
    I buy from re-sellers that sell smaller portions.

2. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

cava (01-20-2018), island rehabber (01-19-2018), Snicker Bar (01-19-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by SophieSquirrel View Post

Our retail chain pet stores are flooded with inferior food products, toxic dyed chew toys, and cheap plastic junk from China. Finding healthy products for sqrls or any other animal for that matter is a real scavenger hunt.

I'd like to add a non-squirrel-related recent gripe about this very thing. My dogs (a 12 year old boxer mix and an 8 year old mastiff mix) have been on the Nutro brand large breed, weight mgt formula for over 9 years. Used to have to get it at the pet food or seed n feed shops. I've been ordering from Chewy and Petco for the last couple of years with NO problems.

Lately, both dogs have had weird gastrointestinal issues...mainly noxious gaseous emissions. Like WAY bad.
    I went to the Nutro website and to their social media pages, and discovered that they will now be distributed in grocery stores and big box department-type stores. Incidentally...or coincidentally...Nutro is now touting (not on their packaging, mind you) that they have "optimized" their formulas!
    Yeah...I bet they optimized with some inferior filler to better mass distribute.

Anyway...it does stink (no pun intended...ha!) getting good products for all of our animals and pets. I'm switching dog foods around...and cat foods, as well (because they get Nutro, too!). Muggsy has like 5 different kind of rodent block in his part of the pet food cupboard. Couple bags of chicken feed in the laundry room.

Now I've gotta actually get back into reading the labels!!!

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to muggsy'sgm from:

Snicker Bar (01-19-2018)

Smelly stool can be from bad bacteria balance in the gut.

If it is really sulfur like smell, check his diet, as over cooked Brassicas cause this particular odor.

I have no idea what is included in his diet; just info here.

This is where to go to get help for gastrointestinal issues for cats, dogs, and squees too!

Check out this label; just (1/64) Tsp. per squirrel per day, put into the baked squash.

https://www.amazon.com/Pet-Flora-Spe.../dp/B073G9K4XV

Pet Flora from Safer Medical of Mt. is the most reasonable source by measure for this superior source of Soil Based Organisms,

with a wide array of good bacteria, that contains both a Probiotic and a Prebiotic to support it,

along with trace minerals contained in the Prebiotic source.

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

muggsy'sgm (01-20-2018), Snicker Bar (01-20-2018)

I didn't read every thread but I get my HT 2018 blocks on Amazon. (Mine are 4-5 months old)

5 lb bag for 11.95 and sold by Nesom Distributing. It arrives in a paper repackage bag or a foil bag.

I've ordered 5 times and always fresh and intact.

8. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cava:

island rehabber (01-20-2018), muggsy'sgm (01-20-2018), Snicker Bar (01-20-2018)

Do most here order/rotate a variety of blocks every few days to prevent block boredom? Or stick to one or two? If so, what are your top picks ?

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Snicker Bar from:

muggsy'sgm (01-20-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Snicker Bar View Post
    Do most here order/rotate a variety of blocks every few days to prevent block boredom? Or stick to one or two? If so, what are your top picks ?
    With my latest crew all were raised by me on the bottle except Winston (lone boy) / Kami, and when transitioning to solids the first thing they had was Teklad 2018 . As older juveniles they had Teklad 2016 or Mazuri Rodent depending on availability. Nuts are a treat and given only in the shell for incisor wear and enrichment activity. I would stick with one brand - Teklad preferred over Mazuri. If they will only eat Mazuri and not Teklad then Mazuri it is. I always give 2 HHB Adults daily and HHB Hi Protein to younger ones. Remember HHB's have pecans in the mix. Boo Balls are made from blocks for picky eaters that won't eat them. So called nut squares or nut balls as marketed on the web should never be used nor should scalded milk for babies.

I start blocks on the first solids day so they are not spoiled on the wrong foods. We all love to treat our little ones but you know the old saying about "killing with kindness", that's literally true with the wrong diet. I have never had a case of MBD to date but in addition to highly controlled diet mine also get highly supervised sunning in the shade on a cooler day in a heavy duty locked California Cage. I closely monitor temp and humidity and sun for short periods. In the secure house they have lot's of "out time" - never outdoors. I would never sun a squirrel in a flimsy Chinese made cage where escape is possible.

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SophieSquirrel:

muggsy'sgm (01-20-2018), Snicker Bar (01-20-2018)

Oh no; I may be overdosing the nuts

The Boo Ball things I make call for 50g of nuts, and I’m using the Henry’s Wild Bites ( that have peanuts I believe) . So maybe I should substitute 50 g of something else instead of extra ground pecans , or almonds I guess...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12