Thread: Help!Calming suggestions? I'm all scratched up

Default Help!Calming suggestions? I'm all scratched up

Any suggestion to calm your squirrel? My guy gets so excited when I open up his kingdom. My arms and hands are are jacked jfull of scratches..

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Earltheofnutz from:

LR (12-28-2017)

Default Re: Help!Calming suggestions? I'm all scratched up

Long sleeves and some type of gloves.....

Hooded sweatshirts seem to work best but it's normally too warm in my house to wear them.

Calming a squirrel who just got out of a cage? Mmm, may as well try to catch the moon.
    How often do you let him out and for how long?

4. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to LR:

ClemC5 (01-15-2018), muggsy'sgm (12-29-2017), SophieSquirrel (12-29-2017)

Oh heck, hoodie tied to leave a face hole, fingerless or fingered gloves, sweats, footwear. I stand in front of the cage and put on my gear while my four hooligans bounce around. They cannot be trusted!!

6. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cava:

ClemC5 (01-15-2018), Jen413 (12-29-2017), LR (12-28-2017), SophieSquirrel (12-29-2017)

I've SO had to do the hoodie with just a small opening for my face! I've got one now that is absolutely crazy and LOVES to sit on my head. He doesn't mind a bit if it means crawling up my face to get there. I make sure to wear thick sweat pants, slippers (I've got one who HATES feet and will attack them), and hoodie. I've had to wear gloves at times as well. My two overwinters don't really wrestle with my hands too much because they have each other so I haven't had to use them with those two. Singleton's I usually do. I'm hot natured so it's hard for me to bundle up indoors at warmer times so I resorted to taking some of my son's older fluffy soccer socks and cut finger holes into them. They were amazing for my arms because they pulled up and under my t-shirt sleeves. They protected my hands and arms and made me feel less bundled.

“You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.” ― John Bunyan

Sammy's TSB Thread Marvin and Charlie's TSB Thread Sadie's TSB Thread

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Jen413:

ClemC5 (01-15-2018), SophieSquirrel (12-29-2017)

Nail Clipping would help but it has to be done VERY carefully so you don't injure your boy.

I'm not sure what kind of cage you're using but it sounds like your guy won't allow a nail trim in your lap. Before Lucky calmed down I would trim her nails through the bars with a treat just out of reach to distract her. You need a quality pair (American/German made) of small cuticle trimmers, and while the squirrel is distracted quickly nip just the very tip of the nail. You can only clip the white tip or you will cut into the quick and serious bleeding will result - IE: never cut into the dark part of the nail. Try getting Styptic powder onto a squirming squirrel! It's better as a 2 person job with one letting the squirrel nibble at the treat through the bars while the other person clips. Once you are 100% sure you have just the tip a very quick clip will remove it before the squirrel has a chance to move away. If the squirrel pulls away and your clippers have a grip on the nail the squirrels toe or nail may be injured.

In addition to a hoodie I would wear some kind or protective glasses. You can get a severe eye injury if the squirrel climbs your face. With time, patience, and hard work your boy will calm down and learn boundaries (as best as a squirrel can) The key is working with your squirrel ever day and never show fear. You have to be the firm alpha but gentle so as not to instill fear.

Photo showing treat in hand and nails over the bars ready for a trim

Name:  DSC01582.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  73.7 KB

Proper trimmer for fine work

Name:  DSC01585.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  55.1 KB

Kami calmly submitting for her weekly nail trim (note white tip on digit 2). It takes MUCH patience and time to get your squirrel to this point

Name:  DSC01586.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  44.0 KB

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SophieSquirrel from:

LR (12-30-2017)

Add a small measure of magnesum citrate to the diet, as both rodent block and other diets have been found to be deficient in magnesium. This mineral will lend support to both calming the mind and the mineralizaton of calcium in the bones when supported in the whole diet at a 3:1 ratio or closer. To target a close Ca:Mg ratio, add Magnesium citrate powder by Frontier Naturals , starting at 1/8 Tsp. measure, to the diet daily, and wait 3 days to see if the stool becomes soft and stays soft. If it does you can stop there, but if not then you will need to add an additional measure of 1/64 Tsp. and again wait three days to see if the stool softens up. If not repeat this adding each time in addition to the previous increases 1/64 Tsp of the Mag Citrate powder till the stool finally softens up. When it does then back down by 1/64 Tsp measure to where after 2 to 3 days the stool firms up. This will lend more support to the health and welbeing of your squirrel, as magnesium is the calming mineral in the body.

Speaking of diet in general, what do you feed your squirrel daily; diet plays a key role in both the demeanor and health of these animals when cared for in captivity.

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

LR (01-06-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Diggie's Friend View Post
    Add a small measure of magnesum citrate to the diet, as both rodent block and other diets have been found to be deficient in magnesium. This mineral will lend support to both calming the mind and the mineralizaton of calcium in the bones when supported in the whole diet at a 3:1 ratio or closer. To target a close Ca:Mg ratio, add Magnesium citrate powder by Frontier Naturals , starting at 1/8 Tsp. measure, to the diet daily, and wait 3 days to see if the stool becomes soft and stays soft. If it does you can stop there, but if not then you will need to add an additional measure of 1/64 Tsp. and again wait three days to see if the stool softens up. If not repeat this adding each time in addition to the previous increases 1/64 Tsp of the Mag Citrate powder till the stool finally softens up. When it does then back down by 1/64 Tsp measure to where after 2 to 3 days the stool firms up. This will lend more support to the health and welbeing of your squirrel, as magnesium is the calming mineral in the body.

Speaking of diet in general, what do you feed your squirrel daily; diet plays a key role in both the demeanor and health of these animals when cared for in captivity.
    I give HIM HB In the morning. I am going to up that because they have cut the size. Then he gets. Arugala broccoli carrot afternoon another HB blueberry or Apple arugala snap peas grape tomatoes dinner another and a hard shell pecan. Not every day but I do give him dandelions and tree branches some times magnolia. He is a good eater and lots of energy.. we ha e just started letting him out . We are just doing short time for hi m to get comfortable. He does good. Knows to go back in the cage with some treats. I thought about giving him so me oxbow ratfood to even him out cause he might like the crunch.

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Earltheofnutz from:

LR (01-06-2018)

Some type of free fed block is always good. That way they have something to munch on especially at night if they get hungry.

Recommended block:
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Calm? Squirrel? Bwaaaahahahaha! We want them excited to see us but they’re squirrels. I think they have two speeds A. Bat**** crazy and B. Chill. There may be a few squirrels who delicately step out to greet you but I don’t have any of those. Even in the summer I keep an old flannel shirt handy—and jeans. OK so I sweat. And guess what? There’s plenty of times my hands STILL look Like I went 10 rounds with Freddy Krueger. Very rarely do I catch a bite—but my guys are friendly and like to groom my hands. Considering the claw scratches on my hands and my squirrels’ distaste for scabs (that are a direct result of claw scratches), I can glove up or deal with it. Usually I deal with it. If I follow the golden rule (NEVER look at a squirrel that is above your head level unless you like wearing a squirrel on your face), and if I am wary of Fiona and Annabelle—who both think the closest path to ANYTHING is over my head—I prevent dangerous blood loss.

17. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Chickenlegs:

muggsy'sgm (01-07-2018), SophieSquirrel (01-06-2018)

Kevlar arm protectors, and shirt paired with ceramic small animal handling gloves would help to lessen the skin damage. The arm protectors and under shirts are available on Ebay. Here is the one I got some years ago (see pdf) which a couple of rehabbers who used them said that they worked better than anything they have used before. Sorry I don't know who presently carries this product presently. I've seen similar ceramic gloves available online that are used for handling sharp metal and glass, that may work also.
    Attached Images Attached Images

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

cava (01-08-2018)

Here is the gloves, I found another supplier. http://www.unobv.com/Handling%20Gloves.html

Also from https://www.antroneng.com/wp-content...ucts051513.pdf

Not sure if both offer these in a purchase of one pair or not.

I found some kelvar lined jeans online too, along with long underwear.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Maple-Kevla...MAAOSw5KtaUZCn

It's the gray rodent gloves shown on the page; scroll down to see.

https://www.antroneng.com/wp-content...ucts051513.pdf

MA Ph.# - 508-966-2803

I use leather gloves. My hands are now safe,but I have to wear turtlenecks because my neck and chest are All scratched up from my new little one. As I hold him during feeding because his back legs are paralyzed he uses his hands and upper body and climbs up my chest. Big Ouch, I must cut his nails. I also will look into buying those gloves people wash their dishes in. They are long,so they cover your arm as well..He is so cute. Enjoy him!

I just bought a pair of nylon/leather rose pruning gloves on Amazon that go up to mid forearm. They're pretty awesome but my idiot squirrels are going nuts trying to chew the decorative cloth paint that's embedded in the nylon. I don't even get it.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Name:  71gdrHkLRYL._SL1500_.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  60.7 KB

24. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cava:

dextersmom (01-13-2018), muggsy'sgm (01-15-2018), Nancy in New York (01-14-2018)

Though for scratches most gloves will work fine, for bites it is another matter, as power of their jaw makes their teeth a puncture tool. And though I wouldn't recommend it by itself to use when catching and holding a wild, save it is too weak to resist, when working upclose giving meds, or tasks requiring accuracy, this one is the one to have, having been tested and used by rehabbers for a number years. A heavy glove could be used on the other hand, so that if the squirrel bites it can bite the leather, while this agile glove does the close in work.

26. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

cava (01-14-2018), dextersmom (01-13-2018)

I found a squirrel hand puppet that worked out great. I used it on my left hand to guide and play with them... it was thick too, so hand had protection. I always wear the same polar fleece jacket so they know the smell...and flannel lined jeans. My squirrel wardrobe. A baseball cap can help your head and eyes to some extent. You can used a stuff toy to guide them also. This actually worked for me... you can shape the behavior ..a little. They are really smart. If I didn't want to get launched on ....I put my hand in a "stop" position, like a traffic cop and said No and backed away. If I wanted them to come...I would tap my shoulder or arm, leg and turn/lean it towards them and say come on. You just need to be aware and anticipate what they might do. LOL.

28. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Binkers mom:

cava (01-17-2018), TubeDriver (01-17-2018)