Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help! Urinary Tract Infection

Default Help! Urinary Tract Infection

Quote Originally Posted by juandday72 View Post
    My 7 week old boy is having same problem, he's constantly soaked and pee smell is very strong. Where is the best place to buy antibiotics for them? Thanks for any help
    My 21 week old girl is having what looks like UTI. We found our little Sophie this past September and plan on releasing her in the spring. She is out of her cage most of the day and the first noticeable thing that started being different was that she was laying on her stomach on any area that was cold and looking back it was shortly after that I noticed her pee puddles weren't very frequent and getting increasingly smaller. Two weeks ago the dribbles when she ran started ( rain drop size )and I was sure there was no pee puddles in her cage litter box. Then one week ago her actions made it quite clear that something was very wrong. She started racing from one window to another constantly for hours and laying as close to the cold glass as she could, licking herself intensely when ever she stopped running, appearing she was terribly itchy all over. Many times times she won't stop long enough to eat. I can feel she is hotter than she should be. I have been doing look ups for a week on the Squirrel Board and now after reading this post I feel fairly sure this is the problem. I'm panicking about where to get an antibiotic in Canada. No vet, as it is illegal to have a squirrel here.

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to silver slippers from:

LR (12-28-2017)

Default Re: Urinary tract infections?

Good morning and welcome to TSB! When I read your post I thought of a few things. Her running around in front of the front window and pancaking (laying flat on things) is normal behavior. Depending on the time of year it was and what was going on outside, she may have witnessed breeding behavior or predators which can both cause excitement (along with a ton of other things).

Her "drive by" pees are not uncommon with squirrels. I have four squirrels here who are almost four months who, during play time, quickly land on something, leave three drops of pee and the jump to the next thing. Usually at a thing that like or want to mark. And that's just what they're doing, marking, which is also normal.

Is it possible that is what she is doing?

You know your squirrel better than we do. What color is the urine she is dribbling, absorb it with a piece of white paper towel and check it out. What is the odor?

What does she eat exactly? How does she drink her water?

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cava:

LR (12-28-2017), Mel1959 (12-28-2017)

Default Re: Urinary tract infections?

Quote Originally Posted by cava View Post
    Good morning and welcome to TSB! When I read your post I thought of a few things. Her running around in front of the front window and pancaking (laying flat on things) is normal behavior. Depending on the time of year it was and what was going on outside, she may have witnessed breeding behavior or predators which can both cause excitement (along with a ton of other things).

Her "drive by" pees are not uncommon with squirrels. I have four squirrels here who are almost four months who, during play time, quickly land on something, leave three drops of pee and the jump to the next thing. Usually at a thing that like or want to mark. And that's just what they're doing, marking, which is also normal.

Is it possible that is what she is doing?

You know your squirrel better than we do. What color is the urine she is dribbling, absorb it with a piece of white paper towel and check it out. What is the odor?

What does she eat exactly? How does she drink her water?

Thank you for the quick reply. About going from window to window; this was a very fast change in behaviour as she didn't care about the windows before. Now it's 6 or 8 hours straight of just racing as fast as she can, except to lay for a few minutes on a cold window sill to cool off (or is it because she has pain ? ). I can see that the more she runs the more worked up she is making herself. She does seem really stressed out, whether she saw something outside is hard to know. (The neighbours do have a dog that is occasionally out ). It is very cold, snowy weather here so I don't think it has anything to do with mating behaviour. She is about 21 weeks old. She was eating fine before but is basically starving herself and loosing weight now because she won't stop long enough to eat. She goes right by any food or takes a nibble drops it and runs some more. She DOESN'T play at all anymore, nothing but continual running. Food: she gets Bill Sells 'nut squares' with all the vitamins and minerals in them and avocado, sweet potato,carrot lettuce & sometimes Kale (picky about that one), mushroom, and sometimes she will eat a piece of apple. Water: she never did drink much out of her water bottle and she does stop to take a quick drink once in awhile but not very often, while racing from window to window. I never had the drips of pea before she always backed up on the kitchen counter and did a puddle, now everything is covered. The colour now is dark yellow, I don't detect much of a smell. There are times her head seems extra hot and she just wants me to rub her head or sit and hold her and rub her ( which is a new one for her). The feverish licking: It seems when she is still for a few minutes she can't get stopped licking and biting herself. She has no fleas or mites so I don't know why she is doing this ? Does this sound more like anxiety; (fear of a predator) than UTI ?

Default Re: Help! Urinary Tract Infection

Is this the nut square recipe you are using?

Nut Ball or Nut Squares Recipe

1 cup rice flakes (Heinz or Gerber's' baby rice cereal)

½ cup ground-up pecans

2/3 cup sesame seeds

1 Tablespoon Brewers' Yeast powder.

1 Tablespoon Lecithin granules or 1 teaspoon liquid Lecithin

1½ to 2 heaping teaspoons KAL brand dolomite powder

Vitamin C -- 1000 mg. (mashed tablets)

6 - 10 alfalfa tablets, mashed

1/4 teaspoon iodized salt

Cod liver oil (enough for 6000 I.U's ( Use liquid, not capsules.)

Vitamin E 600 I.U.'s.

1 to 2 teaspoons salad oil ( We substitute 2 Tablespoons of Raw Coconut Oil for the Salad Oil)

Choose from any of a combination of the following optional ingredients to make

½ cup liquid:

Mashed banana

Applesauce

Frozen strawberries with syrup or natural juices

Apple juice concentrate (no water added)

Fruit cocktail (in heavy syrup -- or natural juices) with maraschino cherries

removed

Canned pears or peaches in heavy syrup or natural juices

Pure juice (100%) nectar

Frozen blueberries (or fresh if available)

Mix all ingredients in a mixing bowl then pat the dough into a square

approximately ½ inch thick. Mark the dough with a long knife until you have 10

rows in each direction. This will yield 100 nut squares of approximately the right

size. Make the cuts in the dough and move the squares onto a cookie sheet for

drying. They can be dried for two to three days in indirect sunlight or under a

warming lamp. (I do mine 24 hours in a food dehydrator!)

Store them in the freezer and serve one per day. Do not give any other food

one hour before or after feeding the nut square!

Convenient Nut Ball Kits can be ordered at:

She may be wilding up and ready to go outside, which happens way before spring and when it's safe to release. I would suggest you put her into her cage for "nap times" and if she's really getting overheating or overexerting herself. Yes the pacing is a form of anxiety because she wants to get out. You will have to work really hard keeping her occupied with enrichment toys, playtime and possibly keep her out of that room for a while, even rearranging the set up you have.

I learned the hard way last year that the more out of cage time I gave my overwinter squirrels, the more bored and interested in the windows they got. They tried to chew their way out, literally. Limiting out of cage time will help and shutting the curtains may help her not pay attention so much, but at this point, you may have to train her to spend more time back in the cage. I can't imagine giving mine free range all day of the house. I think we would all go insane pretty quickly.

8. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cava:

LR (12-28-2017), Nancy in New York (12-28-2017), silver slippers (01-17-2018)

If you want to treat for UTI, let us know what antibiotics you have on hand (human or from other pets). You can ask around for Cipro which women tend to get for their UTI infections. Once you provide that and a weight on her someone can help you make up a solution and give you dosing instructions.

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cava from:

LR (12-28-2017)

If you want to treat for UTI, let us know what antibiotics you have on hand (human or from other pets). You can ask around for Cipro which women tend to get for their UTI infections. Once you provide that and a weight on her someone can help you make up a solution and give you dosing instructions.
    Thank you for all your help Cava. That is the recipe for 'squirrel squares'. About in cage time: In cage time ''right now'' is almost as bad as out of cage time. Just a few weeks ago before the day everything changed dramatically Sophie would sleep in her cage from 2:00 in the afternoon until 5:00 or 6:00 in the afternoon. Stay in the cage playing while we ate our evening meal. Go back to bed for the night around 8:30 or earlier if she decide that it was time. As I said before this was a very, very sudden change. When I say suddenly, it was that things were okay in the morning but all together different by afternoon. It's quite possible she was frightened by something she saw outside while on the top of her cage or on the kitchen fridge; from both locations she can see outside. I do remember hearing her cawing that day but didn't know why. In the cage this afternoon she paced and bounced off the walls for 2 hours and then only slept for an hour. Before this sudden change she was only slightly curious about going to other rooms in the house and spent most of her time playing endlessly in the kitchen. I was vastly used as a tree to play on and her play mate. I have often said it would have been easier to have two as they could play with each other and have each others company. If this is anxiety, I'm presuming the endless fur licking which appears to be itchy skin will not stop and neither will the endless pacing in her cage. I have the windows in the kitchen covered for a week but that hasn't helped. I don't have an antibiotic to treat her for UTI but I do have 'Colloidal Silver', which I have in the house for bacterial infections. I don't know the dosage for someone her size. Her weight is 605 gm. It says 1 tsp for children / 4X's daily. Thank you again for your help, it's really appreciated.

Maybe there is someone close who can mail or get the cipro to you....

Is this the nut square recipe you are using?

Nut Ball or Nut Squares Recipe

1 cup rice flakes (Heinz or Gerber's' baby rice cereal)

½ cup ground-up pecans

2/3 cup sesame seeds

1 Tablespoon Brewers' Yeast powder.

1 Tablespoon Lecithin granules or 1 teaspoon liquid Lecithin

1½ to 2 heaping teaspoons KAL brand dolomite powder

Vitamin C -- 1000 mg. (mashed tablets)

6 - 10 alfalfa tablets, mashed

1/4 teaspoon iodized salt

Cod liver oil (enough for 6000 I.U's ( Use liquid, not capsules.)

Vitamin E 600 I.U.'s.

1 to 2 teaspoons salad oil ( We substitute 2 Tablespoons of Raw Coconut Oil for the Salad Oil)

Choose from any of a combination of the following optional ingredients to make

½ cup liquid:

Mashed banana

Applesauce

Frozen strawberries with syrup or natural juices

Apple juice concentrate (no water added)

Fruit cocktail (in heavy syrup -- or natural juices) with maraschino cherries

removed

Canned pears or peaches in heavy syrup or natural juices

Pure juice (100%) nectar

Frozen blueberries (or fresh if available)

Mix all ingredients in a mixing bowl then pat the dough into a square

approximately ½ inch thick. Mark the dough with a long knife until you have 10

rows in each direction. This will yield 100 nut squares of approximately the right

size. Make the cuts in the dough and move the squares onto a cookie sheet for

drying. They can be dried for two to three days in indirect sunlight or under a

warming lamp. (I do mine 24 hours in a food dehydrator!)

Store them in the freezer and serve one per day. Do not give any other food

one hour before or after feeding the nut square!

Convenient Nut Ball Kits can be ordered at:
    This is far too high in sugar content using heavy fruit syrup that has sugars added. D3 from fish oil smells very fishy; why not use powdered D3? What is the number of squares used with this recipe? If not at least a 90 recipe, the measure of D3 noted would promote calcification of the kidneys, joints, arteries of the heart etc. You should not use over 60 IU a day in a squirrel diet with calcium at 200 mg. to 250 mg. daily in the whole diet of midsized tree squirrels.

14. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

cava (01-06-2018), LR (12-29-2017), silver slippers (01-17-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by silver slippers View Post
    I don't have an antibiotic to treat her for UTI but I do have 'Colloidal Silver', which I have in the house for bacterial infections.
    Do not use Colloidal Silver on a squirrel. Go to your local supermarket and get fresh cranberries. 1-2 per day may help but are not a cure for UTI's. Cranberries contain A-type proanthocyanidins (PACs), which interfere with bacteria's ability to adhere to the bladder wall but will not cure a UTI. You need the proper antibiotic for that.

Read this about Colloidal Silver: http://skeptvet.com/Blog/2017/12/col...-not-medicine/

Reference your post: "She gets Bill Sells nut squares"

Try these instead of the product you mentioned: https://www.henryspets.com/squirrel-...adult-formula/

Name:  fresh-cranberries-pile-400x400.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  52.5 KB

16. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SophieSquirrel:

Diggie's Friend (12-29-2017), LR (12-29-2017), muggsy'sgm (01-18-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by SophieSquirrel View Post
    Reference your post: "She gets Bill Sells nut squares"

Try these instead of the product you mentioned: https://www.henryspets.com/squirrel-...adult-formula/
    THANK YOU, SS. Nut squares were "developed" by someone (Mr Sells) who believes that scalded milk is perfectly fine to feed baby squirrels with -- and he preaches other horrific "methods" as well . Please do not believe a word on that site unless it says "squirrels are cute". Seriously.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

18. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Diggie's Friend (12-29-2017), LR (12-29-2017), muggsy'sgm (01-18-2018), SophieSquirrel (12-29-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Diggie's Friend View Post
    This is far too high in sugar content using heavy fruit syrup that has sugars added. D3 from fish oil smells very fishy; why not use powdered D3? What is the number of squares used with this recipe? If not at least a 90 recipe, the measure of D3 noted would promote calcification of the kidneys, joints, arteries of the heart etc. You should not use over 60 IU a day in a squirrel diet with calcium at 200 mg. to 250 mg. daily in the whole diet of midsized tree squirrels.

Absolutely positively agree here. If I were to give my seizure-prone NR Owena one of these things she would probably seize so badly she'd die on me.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

20. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

LR (12-29-2017), SophieSquirrel (12-29-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    THANK YOU, SS. Nut squares were "developed" by someone (Mr Sells) who believes that scalded milk is perfectly fine to feed baby squirrels with -- and he preaches other horrific "methods" as well. Please do not believe a word on that site unless it says "squirrels are cute". Seriously.
    I wanted to say more on my post but being a noob to TSB I didn't want to "stir up the pot" too much. With that being said you summed up exactly what I was thinking. In case anyone reading hasn't seen the photos of the emaciated babies raised on "scalded milk" they are horrific and many don't survive.

For those that haven't seen this post this is the ONLY feeding regimen for babies:
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...BABY-SQUIRRELS!

22. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SophieSquirrel:

Diggie's Friend (12-29-2017), island rehabber (12-29-2017)

"Nut Squares", WIPEOUT!!!

24. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

NO ALFALFA!

"alfalfa pellets which are hard for rats (rodents) to digest and they usually don’t care for it any way"
    Alfalfa swells up in the digestive tract and can even lead to death.

26. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

island rehabber (12-29-2017), LR (12-29-2017), SophieSquirrel (12-29-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by SophieSquirrel View Post
    I wanted to say more on my post but being a noob to TSB I didn't want to "stir up the pot" too much. With that being said you summed up exactly what I was thinking. In case anyone reading hasn't seen the photos of the emaciated babies raised on "scalded milk" they are horrific and many don't survive.
    Stir it!

28. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cava:

Stir it!
    Ty everyone who is contributing with help. I get the dry mix of Squirrel Squares but I do not add any kind of canned fruit as my squirrel, Sophie will not eat them that way. She prefers the mix dry or with home made applesauce. I have never given her any kind of cow or goat milk. She was raised with Esbilac formula. Henry's will not ship to Canada and after trying a few of the other blocks found here settled on ''Bills Nut Squares''. Mainly because it will come to Canada and most importantly she will eat it.......We haven't determined yet if this is ''anxiety OCD '' or UTI . Tomorrow I will be going to the city to buy this......https://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...revention.aspx

30. Serious fuzzy thank you's to silver slippers from:

SophieSquirrel (12-29-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Diggie's Friend View Post
    NO ALFALFA! Alfalfa swells up in the digestive tract and can even lead to death.
    While on that subject.... One of the ingredients of Nutballs/Nutsquares is alfalfa powder. Not sure what whizbang came up with that formula

It's not like someone is picking on this guy's product or scalded milk formula b/c of some rivalry or something. it's downright bad for little ones who count on us for their care. VERY irresponsible and obtuse not to listen to the suggestions of the many experts who have researched these methods and found them to be detrimental. Apparently the scalded milk crowd has a "cult-like" following

Back to the original thread - has anyone ever used test strips to check for leukocytes?

Name:  gdgdg.jpeg
Views: 149
Size:  8.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by silver slippers View Post
    Ty everyone who is contributing with help. I get the dry mix of Squirrel Squares but I do not add any kind of canned fruit as my squirrel, Sophie will not eat them that way. She prefers the mix dry or with home made applesauce. I have never given her any kind of cow or goat milk. She was raised with Esbilac formula. Henry's will not ship to Canada and after trying a few of the other blocks found here settled on ''Bills Nut Squares''. Mainly because it will come to Canada and most importantly she will eat it.......We haven't determined yet if this is ''anxiety OCD '' or UTI . Tomorrow I will be going to the city to buy this......https://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...revention.aspx
    Henry's Pets ships to Canada! Check the Shipping and Returns portion of the website.

33. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Nancy in New York (12-31-2017), SophieSquirrel (12-29-2017)

I don't know anything about D-Mannose for squirrels. Perhaps one of the senior rehabbers can comment. IMO If it is a UTI she needs an antibiotic.

I am probably going to get bashed for saying this but find someone who has a rat about the size and weight of your squirrel. Bring it into a small animal vet as a "proxy", tell the vet it has off and on UTI's, and ask for some SMZ/TMP (Trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole) oral to treat. NO harm will come to the rat and you can get some much needed antibiotics. It's just being creative to get around draconian laws, and proxys have been used harmlessly in U.S. states where this is an issue. Obviously this will not work if surgery or other procedures are required. I would not openly suggest this to anyone in the U.S. for obvious reasons, but I doubt Canada will extradite me for suggesting such a heinous act.

Your squirrels base diet should be Harlan-Teklad or Mazuri rodent blocks as they are properly formulated. Here is my simple formula in case your squirrel won't eat them:

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...+peanut+butter

Some rehabbers have used ZuPreem Nutblend in a pinch and although not ideal in formulation, WAY better than nut-squares/nut-balls. Any senior rehabbers thoughts on ZuPreem when unable to find suitable base diet?

Here is a post on the subject and Nutblend is essentially the same as Fruitblend: https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...uirrels/page13

Name:  rrrr.jpeg
Views: 164
Size:  7.5 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast