Thread: Adult male weight?

Default Adult male weight?

Hi all. Rockysmom here. Just an update and a question. Rocky is doing great! He's 10 months old now and seems to be doing really well after a "Rocky" start! All signs of the MBD are gone and other than being extremely spoiled he seems to be doing very well. Maybe too well!!! My question is......"how much should an eastern gray squirrel weigh?". Right now, he weighs 720 grams. But, it seems now that the cold weather has hit he is putting on weight at an advanced rate though his diet remains the same. Is this an instinctive trait for this time of year or is his calorie intake too much? He gets 3 HHB'S a day, plus veggies, and a piece of fruit. Then, as a treat, one nut in the shell in the evening. He seems to be not as fast and agile since he's put on the additional weight. What should he be at a healthy weight? This little man has caused me more stress than 3 human girl babies!!!

Default Re: Adult male weight?

I’m not exactly sure what northern gray squirrels should weigh, but I know there have been posters that have squirrels that weigh more than 750gr. I’m sure one of the experts from your area will chime in on weights.

In Florida our squirrels usually weigh a max of about 500gr. I have noticed that my released boys and the yard squirrels have put on weight, and it hasn’t even been that cold here. Low of mid 40’s at night. I also have noticed that my indoor squirrel has added a few grams and her diet has been the same. She also shifted into epic nest building mode with the cooler temps. It’s hilarious to watch her take everything that remotely looks like nesting material and add it to her nest.

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

LR (12-16-2017), Rockysmom (12-16-2017)

Default Re: Adult male weight?

Quote Originally Posted by Rockysmom View Post
    Hi all. Rockysmom here. Just an update and a question. Rocky is doing great! He's 10 months old now and seems to be doing really well after a "Rocky" start! All signs of the MBD are gone and other than being extremely spoiled he seems to be doing very well. Maybe too well!!! My question is......"how much should an eastern gray squirrel weigh?". Right now, he weighs 720 grams. But, it seems now that the cold weather has hit he is putting on weight at an advanced rate though his diet remains the same. Is this an instinctive trait for this time of year or is his calorie intake too much? He gets 3 HHB'S a day, plus veggies, and a piece of fruit. Then, as a treat, one nut in the shell in the evening. He seems to be not as fast and agile since he's put on the additional weight. What should he be at a healthy weight? This little man has caused me more stress than 3 human girl babies!!!

I have a little girl who will be 4 years old that needs routine teeth trimming.
    Last time we went to the vets, she said that Coral needed to lose weight.
    She weighed in at ~780 grams. She LOVES her food. I am striving to get
    her into the mid 600 range by spring. It's a much healthier weight.
    I would cut back on the blocks that you give Rocky to 2 daily. At 10 months old,
    his weight is definitely on the high end. (So glad he's doing so well!)
    Last edited by Nancy in New York; 12-16-2017 at 07:18 AM.

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

LR (12-16-2017), Rockysmom (12-16-2017)