Thread: Biting and scratching same spot for 5 weeks

Default Biting and scratching same spot for 5 weeks

Rudy is a captive squirrel on rodent block and vegetable diet. He is about 4 months and for the past 5 weeks this has occured.
    We are going to try a bath tonight and one drop of KITTEN flea prevention but want to share the picture in case I need to try something else. Appreciate any input.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to LanSeaAir:

LR (12-12-2017), Nancy in New York (12-12-2017)

Default Re: Biting and scratching same spot for 5 weeks

Bump! For Rudy....

I’m not sure what that would be from. I hope some more experienced eyes will look at it. I do know that mange is usually associated with some red and crusty edges around the hair loss. Do you see anything like that? Mange is treated with Ivermectin, but it is a very potent drug and needs to be administered by weight. It would not be my first choice unless it is positively identified as mange.

I think your idea of kitten revolution is a good one. Do you see any fleas on him? Revolution won’t harm him if one drop is administered. I’m not sure if Revolution helps with mites or not, but that could also cause itching.

This could also be an obsessive compulsive disorder. Others on here have had some good luck treating OCD with Some drugs.

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

LR (12-12-2017), Toddy (03-27-2018)

I agree. I would treat with Revolution first. If that doesn't work it might be a skin fungus (Dermatophyte).

7. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

LR (12-12-2017), Toddy (03-27-2018)

I was thinking fungus as well when I first looked at the photo. It doesnt look like any of the mites/mange that my wild guys have had. That's usually on neck, shoulders & crusty & pink/red. On a side note, what are you washing his fleece in? When I wash mine, I use as little detergent as possible & NO fabric softener, so it doesnt irritate their skin or sense of smell.

9. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Jennefer:

LR (12-12-2017), Toddy (03-27-2018), TubeDriver (12-12-2017)

Can you elaborate on his activity, play time, out of cage time, cage set up (location, type of cage, stuff inside of cage). Be specific. It will help to determine if his problem is behavioral or environmental. A four month old baby who is "ocd" would respond to changes you can make before putting him on OCD meds.

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cava from:

Toddy (03-27-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    I agree. I would treat with Revolution first. If that doesn't work it might be a skin fungus (Dermatophyte).
    and either can be successfully treated without hard core medications!
    I certainly wouldn't label a squirrel who is repetitive by nature anyway with a human concept of OCD and
    certinally not for repetitively scratching an area which is simply suggesting it itches and /or irritates.

You mentioned using "KITTEN flea prevention," what is the type/ product you have in mind?
    Not all products are safe for use on squirrels let alone our domestics regardless of what the label states.
    I would definitely advise using revolution that has been proven safe when used as directed on this board.

Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

13. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

cava (12-14-2017), LanSeaAir (03-26-2018), LR (12-12-2017), Mel1959 (12-12-2017), Toddy (03-27-2018)

Red face Re: Biting and scratching same spot for 5 weeks

Used 1 drop of revolution and RUDY no longer has any itching and hair grew back. Just wanted to give a happy update to all. Thank you

15. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to LanSeaAir:

Jen413 (03-26-2018), Toddy (03-27-2018)