Thread: Duke - possible mange?

Default Duke - possible mange?

I'm very concerned. One of my fall releases Duke possibly has mange. He has hair loss on his arms, top of his head, and around his eyes. I'm going to try to get pictures of him. What is the typically recommended treatment?

Default Re: Duke - possible mange?

Quote Originally Posted by KarmaKay View Post
    I'm very concerned. One of my fall releases Duke possibly has mange. He has hair loss on his arms, top of his head, and around his eyes. I'm going to try to get pictures of him. What is the typically recommended treatment?
    Unless he will still come to you and hold still long enough to use Revolution for kittens and puppies, Ivermectin is the choice for treating wilds. With revolution it's just 1 or 2 drops (not the whole pipette) between the shoulders. Ivermectin can be put on a nut, fed and treated that way. Ivermectin used is no more then a grain of uncooked rice or amount no more then what would fit in this > O.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

KarmaKay (12-08-2017), LR (12-08-2017)

Please get us a pic. If it is mange, the skin in the areas without the hair will be all red and crusty and irritated. No irritation, no mange, and you don't want to dose with ivermectin unless you have to. Squirrels can get some funky hair molts and this could be that, too.

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

I got paid ca, which I will upload. He leaves oks miserable. The rest of his hair looks very course. I think we might be able to put a couple of drops of revolution on him. He still lets us hand feed him.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

I got paid ca, which I will upload. He leaves oks miserable. The rest of his hair looks very course. I think we might be able to put a couple of drops of revolution on him. He still lets us hand feed him.
    He is big, right - a fox squirrel? I would try to get three drops on him. It needs to get on the skin - I do't know if he will let you approach from above, but if he will, blow very gently on the fur on the back of his neck behind his ears so the fur pars and then apply. 30 days later you may need to re-dose.

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Sorry about the misspelling earlier. Darn autocorrect on my phone. He's a big fox squirrel. We'll purchase revolution today. Thank you as always for your help

Sorry about the misspelling earlier. Darn autocorrect on my phone. He's a big fox squirrel. We'll purchase revolution today. Thank you as always for your help
    Get the "Puppy/kitten 3-5 lbs" size - cheapest and you don't need any more than that even if you need to redose in 30 days. After the first dose, reseal the little bottle by pushing the cap back down and put it someplace it will remain upright. I use a piece of masking tape and tape it to the inside door of my fridge!

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

stepnstone (12-08-2017)

Poor baby, that has to be miserable but you can do this and make it all better.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

LR (12-08-2017)

Here’s an update- I was able to get Revolution but unable to capture Duke to put the medicine on him. I did however get Ivermectin. I used a minuscule amount. Using the end of a a pen. The amount was so tiny. When do I treat again? I gave him an almond yesterday with it on there.

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to KarmaKay from:

Diggie's Friend (12-18-2017)

I was able to upload your photos to see Duke; I also see sunflower seed shells he is eating. This seed will weaken his immune system further with the severe case of mange he has. Better to give him nuts like pecan, or English Walnut, not sunflower seeds. As for the birds, suet is a better choice for them over the winter. The squirrels aren't able to get much of it when suet is wrapped in a narrow gage wire fabric surround, save for the flying squirrels that also benefit from putting out suet as a food supplement over the cold months of winter.

Here’s an update- I was able to get Revolution but unable to capture Duke to put the medicine on him. I did however get Ivermectin. I used a minuscule amount. Using the end of a a pen. The amount was so tiny. When do I treat again? I gave him an almond yesterday with it on there.
    7-10 days, and then 7-10 days after that. It gives the eggs a chance to hatch (eggs are not killed by the ivermectin) so they can be killed by the follow up doses.

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

stepnstone (12-19-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Diggie's Friend View Post
    I was able to upload your photos to see Duke; I also see sunflower seed shells he is eating. This seed will weaken his immune system further with the severe case of mange he has. Better to give him nuts like pecan, or English Walnut, not sunflower seeds. As for the birds, suet is a better choice for them over the winter. The squirrels aren't able to get much of it when suet is wrapped in a narrow gage wire fabric surround, save for the flying squirrels that also benefit from putting out suet as a food supplement over the cold months of winter.
    I can’t afford to do tons of nuts. Any other bulk item you can recommend? I never knew that the sunflower seeds weaken their immune system. I love this board and the wealth of knowledge. I’m still a newer Rehablitator and thank you for telling me. Not to be mean, but not worried about feeding birds just my squirrels. We do give them several almonds daily.

Just give Duke a couple almonds/pecans a day to supplement his wild diet. It is not a good idea to saturate the area with treats(nuts or seeds) since birds wallet a lot of it and it will attract mice, rats and raccoons.

A healthy squirrel really does not need the additional treats but I like to give them a few almonds anyway. It is a little extra protein, fat and calories which helps during the lean, winter months.

If he is a release, he might eat boo balls too!

The amount of Ivermectin (1.87% strength) paste you want to administer orally is about the size of a small piece of uncooked white rice or the amount to fill this "O". Administer the ivermectin every 7-10 days for 2-3 treatments total.

I can’t afford to do tons of nuts. Any other bulk item you can recommend? I never knew that the sunflower seeds weaken their immune system. I love this board and the wealth of knowledge. I’m still a newer Rehablitator and thank you for telling me. Not to be mean, but not worried about feeding birds just my squirrels. We do give them several almonds daily.
    Last edited by TubeDriver; 12-19-2017 at 01:50 PM.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

KarmaKay (12-21-2017)

I have two of last year's who come every day for "breakfast". I throw out about six nuts in the shell and buy them whenever I see them on sale. I keep them in a bin next to the back door. That's it. They can eat them or bury them. If the ground is covered with snow or when we get some really bad weather, I will also give them a veggie and booball plate. Otherwise, those two fatties are doing very well by themselves.

23. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cava from:

KarmaKay (01-22-2018)

Our local rehabber has given ivermectin in a needle syringe, with instructions to put just one tiny drop from a needle onto a walnut, and give it to the infected squirrel orally, as this is practically doable over trying to put it on the fur (non needle syringe) between the shoulder blades of wilds. This has worked each time to resolve the mange. A follow up dose is a good protocol

25. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

KarmaKay (12-21-2017), LR (01-11-2018)

I was able to give Duke the ivermectin on a nut, and was able to give 2 Doses with 9 days between doses. Then the frigid old hit. We haven’t seen him for 2 1/2 weeks almost 3 weeks. He lived in my tree. I fear the worst that he has passed away. 😢 I see his brother everyday and I have treated him since they were living in the same hole in my tree. He was scratching and I figured better to be safe. Just thought you might want an update. Here’s a pic of Dexter his brother
    Attached Images Attached Images  

27. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to KarmaKay:

LR (01-11-2018), Nancy in New York (01-11-2018)