Thread: Wild baby bunny help, please!!!!!!

Default Wild baby bunny help, please!!!!!!

Aaaargh! I have a baby wild bun that opened it's eyes last Thursday.
    Quick history: hubby brought in a baby bun awhile back, which passed away, but, while I was researching baby buns, I decided to order a product called :
    Colostrum Ld made by Sovereign Laboratories.
    I also ordered a 16oz jar of Bene-Bac' Plus dry powder and a large bag of timothy hay.

So, while I was hoping not to have any more buns, because I have never had luck with them, thankfully I have these products on hand.
    The colostrum is human grade. And I am absolutely convinced that the colostrum is the reason bun is doing so well. It's is bright eyed and bushy tailed! At about 55gms.

But, I am desperate for help! I know that I can't give it any hay/grasses to eat until I can establish more gut flora.
    I am still giving the colostrum along with Esbliac and whipping cream.
    Wil the Bene-Bac be sufficient to create proper intestinal flora? I have read about the cecatrophes, but am having trouble getting my hands on any.

(Althought, with the last bun I send my husband on a fools mission to go find me some! He returned with regular bunny poo)

So, what do I do at this stage? Will the Bene-Bac work, and if so, how much and how often do I give it? How long until I can then give some grasses or hay?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to czarina from:

LR (12-07-2017)

Default Re: Wild baby bunny help, please!!!!!!

I know nothing about bunnies, but I will send an email to squirrelsrule&bunniestoo with a link to this thread.
    Bunnies and squirrels are her specialty.
    So nice to see you back on!

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

LR (12-07-2017)

Just thought of this, cava raised bunnies from tiny tiny to release.
    Reach out to her in a pm.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

LR (12-07-2017)

Will do! Thanks! I know nothing about bunnies, either. Other than they are very hard to raise!

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to czarina from:

LR (12-07-2017)

I found some information I posted on another thread a while back.
    Not sure if you have the WMB Book, but here's the section about cottontails.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    Some information to get you started.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

Diggie's Friend (12-06-2017)

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo is offline Licensed rehabber specializing in squirrels and bunnies, Ohio

If the bunny came in eyes closed, it would do best with cecotropes. If it didn't open it's eyes for 4+ days after arrival then in my experience, cecotropes is the only thing that can save them, but needs to be given from day 1-2 after arrival. I give cecotropes every other day until they've gotten them 3 times after their eyes open. The probiotic powder by Fox Valley (LA 200) and the zoologic powdered bene-bac stuff works good. I've had no luck with the gel bene-bac.
    SQUIRRELS RULE AND BUNNIES TOO!

12. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to squirrelsrule&bunniestoo:

Diggie's Friend (12-06-2017), LR (12-07-2017), Mel1959 (12-06-2017), Nancy in New York (12-07-2017)

I personally don't know much about rabbits, just few a basics I was told of by a rabbit rehabber, I hope that the following articles on digestion in rabbits will help to support your bunny rescue efforts.

Beyond a proper diet, and clean water, soil based good intestinal bacterias appear to be key in supporting their nutritional an immune health needs. I hope they are able to help you care for the rabbits that you find in need. (see digestive bacterial source at end of post)

http://rabbit.org/disorders-of-the-cecum/ https://www.wikihow.com/Treat-Digest...its-Step-7.jpg

http://www.vetstreet.com/dr-marty-be...stive-problems

https://www.omicsonline.org/modern-s....php?aid=21586

http://www.petconnection.ca/probioti...them-eat-dirt/

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...t-eating-soil/

Today it is clear that geophagia is even more widespread in the animal kingdom than previously thought. Investigators have observed geophagia in more than 200 species of animals, including parrots, deer,elephants, bats, rabbits, baboons, gorillas and chimpanzees. Geophagia is also well documented in humans, with records dating to at least the time of Greek physician Hippocrates (460 B.C.). The Mesopotamians and ancient Egyptians used clay medicinally: they plastered wounds with mud and ate dirt to treat various ailments, especially of the gut.
    This SBO source from "Safer Medical" of Montana, is a source of soil based bacteria all mammals. This same source has been used in a gray squirrel diet for some time.

You may want to go on a bunny board to confirm SBO for rabbits by others educated opinions. What is clear is that rabbits are also are geophagic (soil ingestors), which like in tree squirrels, SBO play a big part in supporting their gastroinstinal health also.

https://www.amazon.com/Pet-Flora-Spe...SIN=B073G9K4XV

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

Nancy in New York (12-07-2017)

Hey, check out my Buns thread link in my signature. I had a heart attack when I got mine this spring, but with the help of Runestonzes and Squirrels and bunnies too, they did really great and having the correct formula and watching turds became my life for a short while. When you can't get cecotropes, having the correct formula is a life saver.

Good luck. Feel free to email me at mycavacava@gmail.com. I quit Facebook, so that's the best way.

16. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cava:

Mel1959 (12-08-2017), Nancy in New York (12-07-2017)