Thread: Skinned tail to bone - What do I do

Default Skinned tail to bone - What do I do

I have been working on soft release with my little fox squirrel. He is 14 weeks and has been playing outside during the day and coming in and night. He has a cage outside that I leave the door open on with his house/bed in it but at night he comes to the window and wants inside so I let him in and he sleeps in his old baby house. This afternoon he came running to me with the last 3 - 4 inches of his tail skinned, there is nothing but bloody bone! It doesn't seem to be hurting him but I'm afraid it is going to get infected! I think something must have tried to get him. He will be staying in the house until I can build him a large out door cage he will be safe in but what can I do to prevent infection? Name:  IMG_9053.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  109.8 KB

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to ConroeTX from:

LR (12-04-2017)

Default Re: Skinned tail to bone - What do I do

If he will tolerate it you can clean it with some diluted Betadine solution. Put a few drops in some warm water so that it looks like weak tea. After it’s cleansed you can apply some type of antibiotic salve to it. The portion of the tail that has been degloved will eventually dry up and fall off. Just watch to be sure it doesn’t get inflammed and infected.

4. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

ConroeTX (12-04-2017), LR (12-04-2017), Nancy in New York (12-04-2017)

Do you have a vet you can take him to in case it does get infected instead of just drying up? It's better to start looking for a vet now than wait till you might need one.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to LR from:

Nancy in New York (12-04-2017)

Arrow Re: Skinned tail to bone - What do I do

I’m in a state where they are not allowed as pets & I am not a certified rehabber. I only had him because there were so many after the hurricane the rehabs were full. He had a swollen penis & UTI when he came to me. I was only able to save him with the help of this board. He doesn’t seem to be in any discomfort. He is acting totally normal. The spray bottle scared him so I watered down the Betadine & dipped the end of his tail in it.

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to ConroeTX from:

LR (12-05-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by ConroeTX View Post
    I’m in a state where they are not allowed as pets & I am not a certified rehabber. I only had him because there were so many after the hurricane the rehabs were full. He had a swollen penis & UTI when he came to me. I was only able to save him with the help of this board. He doesn’t seem to be in any discomfort. He is acting totally normal. The spray bottle scared him so I watered down the Betadine & dipped the end of his tail in it.
    That sounds like it will work. I have antibiotics I can send you if necessary.

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

ConroeTX (12-05-2017), LR (12-05-2017)

I too am in a state like that but another board member was still able to pass me the name of a vet that would help.

Do you still have antibiotics on hand? If not, you might want to pm Mel and give your address.

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to LR from:

ConroeTX (12-05-2017)

The end part of his tail has already came off and it looks so much better. I may be paranoid but he feels very warm to me. I have Cipro on hand and Amoxicillian. I will also PM Mel my address. Thank y'all all so much for your help. He is running around and playing like crazy when he gets still I will get an updated picture.

14. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to ConroeTX:

LR (12-05-2017), Nancy in New York (12-05-2017)

This is what his tail looks like today. That isn't his normal cage, he came to work with me today!
    I'm not letting him out of my site until he is well! He came all the time until he was 12 weeks old so he is use to it here and isn't upset at all, he is at home here as he is at home!Name:  IMG_9060.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  110.8 KB

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to ConroeTX from:

LR (12-05-2017)

Hopefully you won't need the antibiotic But it is good to have there just in case. You don't want to be waiting on the mailman if an infection does start up.....

Just for future reference for anyone else this may happen to....as the parts of his tail dry up, it is not falling off, he chews it off. He was sitting in my lap today while I was working and I heard a crunching sound like a nut. I knew I had not given him a nut, I looked down and he was crunching off the dried parts of his tail. Obviously, instinct is kicking in and he is taking care of what he can himself. Bless his little heart!

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to ConroeTX from:

cava (12-05-2017)

Day three photo. He is lethargic today but the weather changed drastically overnight, the temp. dropped 20 degrees and it is raining. I didn't bring him to work today because I didn't want to get him out in the weather. I will give him more out of cage time tonight and hope he is more active then. There is not redness to his tail and it is not warm to touch. I know the picture isn't to clear today. Name:  IMG_9062.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  73.3 KB

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to ConroeTX from:

Mel1959 (12-06-2017)

My released boy had something similar happen to his tail. I didn’t even have an opportunity to clean it or anything. In a very short time it had dried up and fallen (or was chewed) off, no muss, no fuss. He is now very identifiable as he runs in the trees.

23. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

ConroeTX (12-07-2017), LR (12-06-2017)

Name:  9EAD6BA5-1029-4114-9F3E-D1E819E98254.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  101.4 KB Day 5 pic. He is zooming around so much this morning it was hard to get a pic! He’s a happy little camper. He’s lost some weight but I think that is because he has staying on from work & my co-workers haven’t been able to sneak him treats!

25. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to ConroeTX:

LR (12-09-2017), Nancy in New York (12-09-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by ConroeTX View Post
    Name:  9EAD6BA5-1029-4114-9F3E-D1E819E98254.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  101.4 KB Day 5 pic. He is zooming around so much this morning it was hard to get a pic! He’s a happy little camper. He’s lost some weight but I think that is because he has staying on from work & my co-workers haven’t been able to sneak him treats!
    He's looking great. I bet he misses your co-workers!

27. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

LR (12-09-2017)

You live in Texas? Squirrels are legal in Texas I think as pets, or is that just flyers?
    "Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened."
    - Anatole France

"We have doomed the wolf not for what it is, but for what we deliberately and mistakenly
    perceive it to be - the mythologized epitome of a savage ruthless killer - which is, in reality,
    no more than a reflected image of ourselves."
    - Farley Mowat

29. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Floppysquirrel04 from:

ConroeTX (12-16-2017)

Name:  8BA9B6EF-55EF-4F32-B7AC-10AEFE0D82DF.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  82.2 KB. I don’t know if you can tell but he has little hairs growing back on the remaining bare area! I’m so happy! Thanks everyone for there advice & input!

31. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to ConroeTX:

LR (12-16-2017), Nancy in New York (12-16-2017)

Floppysquirrel04 wrote:

Squirrels are legal in Texas I think as pets, or is that just flyers?
    Grays and Fox squirrels are illegal to have in personal possession in TX. save they are being cared for by lic. rehabbers.

The Squirrelboard doesn't support breeding or the sale of these species, that is also illegal.

Southern Flyers I believe are legal to have from breeders, but not trapped as wilds to be sold as pets, which is again illegal.

Did you know that President Teddy Roosevelt had a pocket pet flying squirrel?

33. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

LR (12-16-2017)

So glad to hear the hair is coming back where it was bare, and healing taking place.