Thread: Mold - Storebought Unshelled Nuts

Default Mold - Storebought Unshelled Nuts

The attached picture is from a hazelnut I shelled just a bit ago. IT WAS FULL OF MOLD!

I was sitting there, thinking how odd that some of you suggest cracking open even store-bought nuts to check for mold. I've given Muggsy nuts several times that were unopened. I'm an idiot!

Something told me to crack open a couple of nuts. I wasn't giving any to Muggsy anyway, as he was already in bed for the night...but I just had to open a couple.
    BAM!

This is TERRIFYING. This was from a bag of unshelled, fresh(?), mixed nuts.

Wanted to share.

Name:  mold closeup.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  154.8 KBName:  mold.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  203.7 KB

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to muggsy'sgm from:

LR (12-03-2017)

Default Re: Mold - Storebought Unshelled Nuts

I know this is going to sound nuts (no pun intended) but I buy my years supply fresh around this time of the year. I search through the bulk nuts department at the supermarket for ones that are not cracked. I also rattle them to make sure there is not a shriveled nut inside. Time consuming at the supermarket - sure, but worth the effort. I use limited Hazelnuts in shells for incisor wear. If they have the crack in the shell moisture can get in and mold is a result. Some of the cracks are hairline around the point so you have to look closely.

Hazelnut With Large Crack

Name:  DSC01382.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  87.9 KB

4. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SophieSquirrel:

lennysmom (12-03-2017), LR (12-03-2017), Mel1959 (12-03-2017), muggsy'sgm (12-04-2017)

I understand the concern about squirrels eating moldy nuts. I wonder about all the nuts they take and bury in the yard! How do they not get moldy or go completely bad when they could be buried for months or years?

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

LR (12-04-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    I understand the concern about squirrels eating moldy nuts. I wonder about all the nuts they take and bury in the yard! How do they not get moldy or go completely bad when they could be buried for months or years?
    It's my understanding that squirrels in the wild know how to tell when the nuts are bad and won't eat them. I would think most of the nuts they bury in the fall would stay good at least through the winter. But of course many of the nuts that are never unburied that rot in the ground turn into trees.
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

"Don't cry because it's over - smile because it happened." Dr. Seuss

8. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to lennysmom:

LR (12-04-2017), Mel1959 (12-04-2017), muggsy'sgm (12-04-2017)

I kind of think in the wild, they learn from watching others which ones are decent and which aren't. Maybe from experience, too. The captive/NR/house squirrels maybe trust their caregivers implicitly, and will eat a bit of whatever we encourage them to eat?

The trust they give us is scary. I will definitely be inspecting Muggsy's food a bit more thoroughly. My parents have a pecan tree in their backyard...so I'll grab a bunch from them. At least I know their pecans are "fresh from the tree," and the store-bought, prebagged ones...who knows?

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to muggsy'sgm:

Diggie's Friend (12-04-2017), Mel1959 (12-04-2017)

Squirrels may taste, sniff, and turn it around in theiir paws to see if it is a good nut, before downing it. I have seen a squirrel bit into a leaf to get the taste of it, but not bit it off any of it to eat it. I have little doubt squirrels know which sources are good for food and those that are not. In captivity they trust their caregivers to assume all the food will be good.

Quote Originally Posted by muggsy'sgm View Post
    The captive/NR/house squirrels maybe trust their caregivers implicitly, and will eat a bit of whatever we encourage them to eat?
    I think you are right Muggsy'sgm... Not all mold is toxic but three types of Aspergillus create Aflatoxins that will absolutely kill a squirrel. In the wild squirrels die of many things and I am sure Aflatoxins are also responsible. For our beloved indoor squirrels it is better to err on the side of caution. Just head for the bulk Hazelnuts and Pecans at your supermarket and carefully weed out those with cracks. I always sample a few out of the batch to check for shriveled nuts and mold. Mind you nuts are not primary in my NR's diet but serve a dual purpose as treat and for incisor wear.

I have one of these gems.

Name:  54b7d112a8b958e8e1576ceae1048660--pii-nut-cracker.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  59.0 KB

13. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SophieSquirrel:

Diggie's Friend (12-21-2017), Mel1959 (12-04-2017), muggsy'sgm (12-04-2017)