Thread: Optional treatments for Anxiety and/or OCD in tree squirrels

Hybrid View

Default Optional treatments for Anxiety and/or OCD in tree squirrels

One of a number of companies in California, that offer a source of 'CBD' now legally available to the public for personal use, is produced by, "Green Gorilla". Their product sheet notes that they combine pure CBD extracted from organic Non GMO Hemp, with Extra Virgin and Olive oil, for subliqual use delivery. Olive oil supports the uptake of the CBD compounds, just as it has been found in lab research to support the uptake of other compounds in rats. The info card I got also notes that their CBD oil has absolutely no psychoative properties, or HTC, and is good not just for humans, but also, "great for dogs, cats, and other animals of all shapes and sizes". How I came to learn of this source as at a local horseshow where they presented. There. I got to ask about the use of this product, and learned that it has been useful to use in pain management, reduce pain from old injuries, and from arthritis in both humans and animals, that can increase mobilty, and also reduce stress.

You can contact the company at www.ilovegreengorilla.com

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

island rehabber (12-06-2017), TubeDriver (12-06-2017)

Default Re: Optional treatments for Anxiety and/or OCD in tree squirrels

Pure CBC oil has been shown in laboratory research to reduce anxiety in rats better than a placebo.
    In this study CBD was found to be effective in stopping a chemically induced OCD behavior in rats:

http://healthyreport.info/treating-ocd-with-cbd/

In a federal funded research study, which can be read about more here, a team of researchers wanted to study treating OCD with CBD. They did this by injecting rats with Meta-chloro-phenyl-piperazine (mCPP). This is a compound found in the drug, ecstasy. This compound induces panic attacks and OCD-like effects in mammals. After the rats were initially injected, they were put in a sand-filled cage with a few dozen marbles. Almost immediately the rats began burying the marbles. This is an OCD-like effect caused by the mCPP compound.

After observing this effect, the rats were then given liquid CBD. Almost immediately, their behavior changed. Almost all rats stopped this marble-burying side effect and began to resume normal function. All psychotic induced behavior was ended and normal brain function was observed.
    This might take the edge off of the compulsion to bury nuts in the fall for squirrels that can't have more than one nut a day.

Another article on how CBD works in the brain to reduce anxiety; also comparing it to the use of SSRI's.

https://www.leafly.com/news/health/c...eating-anxiety

Here is another source that uses a lower level of 3 % that is also available.

http://www.phytopluscbd.com/cbd-analysis-results

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

BuckysMommy (01-08-2020), muggsy'sgm (12-03-2017)

I reached out to Green Gorilla, and they responded with an email that stated they do not know how to treat squirrels...but suggested maybe trying their 150ml product.

CannaPet has consistently responded to me with questions and suggestions. I'm afraid I'm [I]that[I] squirrel mom...and I've bombarded them with daily emails. Everyone has been super patient. One customer service person replied to me to say she was delayed in getting back with me, as she had to find someone who actually was familiar with super-small animals. I liked a lot the fact that she didn't respond with some pat response, but took the time to get real answers.

Today is the 7th day of CBD treatment for Muggsy. I've kept it at two of the recommended doses per day, and have had great success. There is a slight "calming" effect, but I suppose that is kind of the goal.
    CannaPet uses a cannabinoid- and terpene-containing blend, in an organic, non-GMO form. So...it isn't pure CBD, but rather a slew of CBDs and terpenes. This allegedly produces the "Entourage Effect." The link below also has links to scientific studies, celebrity-doctor explanations (i.e. Sanjay Gupta), and the science behind phytochemistry.

https://canna-pet.com/our-products/p...ive-compounds/

*Side note: I didn't give Muggsy his morning dose of CannaPet today. When I brought him his lunch, it appeared that he had maybe started to mess with the tip of his tail. As I pulled some matted hair away from it, he felt it! I'm hoping this means he leaves it alone.
    However, I did go ahead and sprinkle some CannaPet onto some dehydrated organic coconut flakes (I keep 'em in the freezer)...which he devoured.

I cannot attribute this as a cause and effect...or rather, I don't know if missing one dose of the meds affected him in any way. I'll try again in a week or so to confirm.

DiggiesFriend: I hope it's okay I contributed to your thread. I'm very excited for studies concerning cannabis. If this post needs to be moved, please do.

6. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to muggsy'sgm:

Diggie's Friend (12-06-2017), Jen413 (12-05-2017), LR (12-05-2017)

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...n_synaptosomes
    Much to look through in this highly technical early study done on the chief properties of the hemp plant, in regards to both CBD (non-hallucinogenic), and THC (the hallucinogenic) compounds in raw hemp. What initially stood out to me in this study, was that the isolated THC compound was not found to work on some causes of brain seizures, and may even have negative impact to the brain membrane in rodents when used at higher dosage levels. Typical of these laboratory rodent studies is that the test dosages used for rats and mice range from low (ineffective) doses, to those that are very high (causing possible negative side effects) not an appropriate measure for dosage for use in treating anxiety (OCD), and seisures in pets and wildlife.

For this specific reason it is important to understand that any potential source of CBD oil should first be checked to see if it contains only isolated CBD without THC, or fillers, etc, as the CBD source from "GreenGorilla" is noted to provide, before considering using it to support a squirrel’s health.

The following excerpt is a quote from an article a medical journal in Britain GreenGorilla notes in their product information:

As I wrote previously, first add magnesium and inositol, and then if you see the need, to add the CBD. I would expect that bringing up magnesium to bowel tolerance is going to increase the effects. For this reason I would lower the amount of the CBD as you increase the magnesium. IF then if you see need to raise it then bring it back up to where you have it presently Magnesium should increase the effects; Magnesium Glycinate is best to use for animals with seisure issues would lower the dose by using the lowest strength and just one drop together wtih magnesium in the diet at bowel tolerance to be on the safer side. Again, also add the pure powder inostitol to your recipe as I wrote by PM.

https://healthyspot.com/blogs/spots-...-about-cbd-oil

I was given a info sheet from GreenGorilla; on it they quote an article from Great Britain on the medical properties of Cannabinoids.

Antiamatic :reduces nausea and vomiting (squirrels can't vomit, yet what provokes it is still experiences by rodents.

Anticonvulsive: Suppresses seizure activity

Antipsychotic: Combats pyschosis disorders

Anxiolytic/anti-Derpressant : Combats anxiety and depression

Antioxidant: Combats free radicals

Anti-inflammatory: Combats inflammatory disorders
    Last edited by Nancy in New York; 12-06-2017 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Author's request

The THC noted in the study is the portion that is hallucinagenic in the whole hemp, not the CBD extract. No concern on that account as this source is noted to contain no THC.

Green Gorilla notes:

THC, is completely removed from the hemp plant before the CBD is extracted. This not only allows users to get the full benefits of CBD, but they can get them without the hallucinatory effects that ...

I am very impressed with this breakthrough and truly hope it helps little Muggsy!
    I have no scientific or medical knowledge of the benefits of THC but I do know that hemp and hemp oils had been used for centuries prior to the hysteria that happened in 1960's America, which slammed the door on all beneficial uses. I am glad that door is slowly creaking open now. God gave us this beautiful plant to use, and then someone said it was evil...
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Diggie's Friend (12-06-2017), muggsy'sgm (12-06-2017)