Thread: Self weaning questions

Default Self weaning questions

Unbelievably, T’ella and Skippy are nearly 10 weeks old. T’ella is refusing formula from the syringe, but still eats *some* from a small bowl. Skippy will occasionally take 6-9 cc, but is losing interest. They are both eating rodent blocks fairly well. I have introduced kale, sweet potato, sweet peas, avocado, bagged salad, squash, and mushrooms. I’m very concerned about calcium intake. Should I add calcium carbonate for reptiles? I did purchase some, but haven’t given it yet. Suggestions?

Thanks!

Default Re: Self weaning questions

Give them a steak bone or antlers to chew on.
    It will give them calcium and grind down their teeth.
    Do not use chicken or pork bones... they turn into shards.

Thanks. They have antlers and a bull horn that they love to gnaw on. I’m still worried about calcium though. Should I stop worrying now?

Yes, you can stop worrying. As long as they eat a rodent block and healthy veggies they are fine. Of course, limiting high phosphorus foods like nuts, seeds and corn is just as important.

Adding a little calcium carbonate to the food occasionally is fine but I wouldn't do it routinely. If you want to give them a Tums to chew on that's fine for supplemental calcium. Some squirrels actually like them.

My 11 week old muffins like the fruit flavored tums. They don't eat them entirely but they do chew on them a lot and eat some. I give everyone one of their own once a week and clean up the remainders a few days later so they can come back to them if they want.

Quote Originally Posted by cava View Post
    My 11 week old muffins like the fruit flavored tums. They don't eat them entirely but they do chew on them a lot and eat some. I give everyone one of their own once a week and clean up the remainders a few days later so they can come back to them if they want.
    I do the same with Sammy. It may take him 2 or 3 days but he usually finishes them.

“You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.” ― John Bunyan

Sammy's TSB Thread Marvin and Charlie's TSB Thread Sadie's TSB Thread

Hi, I’m browsing the board looking for a little information on self weaning, and was just wondering if this is still accurate about the tums and the antlers??

Quote Originally Posted by rhianne View Post
    Hi, I’m browsing the board looking for a little information on self weaning, and was just wondering if this is still accurate about the tums and the antlers??
    Give them formula right up until they are released if they will take it... single best thing, hands down, you can feed them.

Antlers are great for them to chew on and Tums (make sure it is Tums without the Vitamin D because they have way too much D for a squirrel) are fine if they show interest. But it is the rodent block and formula... and avoiding or limiting calcium robbing foods (nuts, seeds, corn, etc) that is way more important,

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Nancy in New York (09-05-2019)