Thread: New Releases help please

carrieb Guest

Default New Releases help please

I released my two male Irma fosters, Eenie and Tazzy this week on Tuesday. They're at 14-15 weeks in age. I released them in my back yard. We have a wooded thicket that basically runs the length of our property including the adjacent wooded properties on both sides of us. We're the only house on this block and the land behind us is a paper street. We have plenty of wooded area around us so I think it is a pretty good situation for releasing them into.

We introduced a nesting box into their cage that they had been living in and they used it for at least 6 weeks prior to release. I also purchased an additional box that is a condo size so they could have a larger home. I swapped out the nesting boxes and they got to use the larger one in the cage for a few days.

I wish I had been able to let them have more time to get acclimated to the bigger box but they were so ready to go. Their cage was a Feisty Ferret cage and it was too small and they were running circles in it it was time.

The release went well. We released them around 1pm. They took to the trees like naturals and played and explored. It was wonderful to see. Then around 5pm I was sitting out back just watching and I heard an angry squirrel. I saw him running and cussing through the tree tops to where Eenie was playing. Eenie lost the tree top scuffle and fell from at least roof top level to the ground which stunned him and then my dog who was sitting with me immediately went for him. My poor little guy had two huge scares within seconds of each other. He was ok but pretty shook up. He got to the nesting box and stayed there for the night. I didn't see Tazzy again and don't know where he spent the night.

Wednesday seemed to go ok. I saw Tazzy in the morning and at dusk they both met up at the small nesting box, groomed each other and went to bed.

On Thursday Tazzy spent most of the day in the small nesting box. I didn't see Eenie until dusk when he kind of sneaked down one of the trees. I was very relieved to see him. It wasn't long before three squirrels came running at him. One in particular was pretty aggressive. He laid on a limb upside down just watching us. I ended up jostling the limb he was on to get him to move along. Eenie was able to get to the little nesting box and remained there with Tazzy through the night.

Long story short I think the home boys don't like the new boys. I know I shouldn't be surprised but it does dismay me. My boys are hiding in the trees instead of being happy squirrel boys.

We have always fed the birds/squirrels. We are making sure that the feeders are full at dawn and dusk. We were hoping that making sure there was plenty of food available that maybe it might help prevent territorial fighting.

I had been putting out a tray of food on the boy's cage near where their nesting boxes are. I was putting out the veggies and fruits that they had been eating. I took that away this morning and put out food in their bowls on top of the cage along with making sure the other feeders are full.

I know there will be a transition time for Eenie and Tazzy. I'm worried for them and wanted to ask if there is any thing we should or should not be doing? Any thoughts, information, tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    CarrieB

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to carrieb from:

LR (11-24-2017)

Default Re: New Releases help please

Oh I'm sorry to hear this. Yes, this is a problem but unfortunately I think you will have to change your practices. Instead of feeding the outside hooligans more I think you need to stop feeding them so they will disperse. These older, stronger squirrels have definitely established your yard as their territory. This will make it difficult for your boys to stay. I would remove the food from the feeders. I would try very hard to selectively feed my kids if at all possible. We usually recommend to stop feeding the wilds before release so that they will disperse. Hopefully, if this happens the pressure on your boys will be reduced. Be very careful of the dogs. Your boys are likely to be on the ground to avoid the others and they don't need added stress of a dog attack.

I'm in FL also. Hillsborough Co. Welcome to TheSquirrelBoard.

4. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

LR (11-24-2017), Nancy in New York (11-24-2017), stepnstone (11-24-2017)

carrieb Guest

Default Re: New Releases help please

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    Oh I'm sorry to hear this. Yes, this is a problem but unfortunately I think you will have to change your practices. Instead of feeding the outside hooligans more I think you need to stop feeding them so they will disperse. These older, stronger squirrels have definitely established your yard as their territory. This will make it difficult for your boys to stay. I would remove the food from the feeders. I would try very hard to selectively feed my kids if at all possible. We usually recommend to stop feeding the wilds before release so that they will disperse. Hopefully, if this happens the pressure on your boys will be reduced. Be very careful of the dogs. Your boys are likely to be on the ground to avoid the others and they don't need added stress of a dog attack.

I'm in FL also. Hillsborough Co. Welcome to TheSquirrelBoard.
    Darn! I wish I had known to stop feeding the wilds. Going to empty those feeders pronto. Thank you so much

CarrieB

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to carrieb:

cava (11-24-2017), LR (11-24-2017)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.