Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What not approved foods has your babies talked you into?

Default Re: What not approved foods has your babies talked you into?

Quote Originally Posted by sundoesshine View Post
    Of course I forgot to bring it inside and this morning my husband said our jr. was carrying that huge coconut across the lawn. Carrying, tripping, carrying...
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Quote Originally Posted by Beecheykeen View Post
    I figure no matter how much time has passed, this will always be a fun topic. If only ya'll could see how my little Icarus reacts when she KNOWS I have a Little Debbies peanut butter creme cookie.
    Any chance of a video?
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chirps from:

sundoesshine (02-07-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Charley Chuckles View Post
    Ok then........
    Once leaving Dr Emerson's office with Conker, I stopped at a place called Ritters, it's a custard icecream stand and it's YUMMY well I bought a milkshake and drank it all 45 minutes home. Once Conker is back in his room I still had some of the shake left so I tipped the large cup on its side so Conker could have a lick. To my surprise he claimed in up to his waist 😝 I had a heck of a time getting him to back out he wanted the whole thing
    I couldn't get it washed off it stayed on him for a week, his hair was spiky like a hedgehog 🤣 however every time I picked him up he smelled delicious 😁

OK. This happened with my late, great Mister P. It was around Halloween and I had a Tootsie Roll Pop downstairs calling my name. I had it stuck in my mouth when I got him out of his room and brought him down to mine for our evening cuddle and play session. I should have known better - if you think that having something the squirrel wants completely INSIDE your mouth is going to slow them down you are delusional. He was hounding me - at one point he had the stick in his mouth and both front (pee)feet braced on my LIPS, yanking with all of his might, and P was a two-pound squirrel - he could yank! He finally stopped and backed up a step or two to re-group, and I decided to use the respite to be a jerk, waving the lolipop around, taunting him. You know where this is going - he struck like a cobra, snatching it away from me and disappearing off the side of the bed. And then under it. I got down and looked and there he was, directly in the geographic center of the bed. Holding the stick with both hands and licking the hard candy outside as fast as his tongue would go.

I have a king sized bed and it weighs about a thousand pounds. I kind of wiggled and wormed my way a little further under and gained 3 more inches. When he saw this, he moved back 3.25". I could actually touch the tips of the hair on his paws. I have never been dissed harder in my life. He didn't get out of Dodge, he moved **just** out of my reach, the little twirp. I threatened to poke him with a stick but we both knew that was a lie. I finally managed to exchange the Tootsie Roll Pop for a shelled nut.

Fast forward several years...Zeke has managed to get his paw mashed (just a little) and I gave him some infant ibuprophen for the owie. OMG he LOVED it! So I thought that having a similarly flavored suspension to use for any meds should they ever be needed, would be a good trick to have. I did some kitchen experimentation. The best was getting the tiniest little bottle of pomegranate juice and boiling it until it was reduced by one half, leaving a thick, sweet syrup. I sucked up about half a cc in an old syringe and brought it upstairs to see if Zeke would take it willingly. Only if willingly includes snatching the syringe away from me and disappearing over the side of the bed. I bent down and there he was, in the very center of the bed, trying to figure out how to work a syringe. I really couldn't believe it. Deja Vu all over again. Is there a damned masking taped "X" down there for them? He wouldn't swap for a nut and the way to work a syringe involves chewing through it, just FYI.

6. 8 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Chirps (02-09-2021), island rehabber (02-09-2021), JPlagg (02-09-2021), KCullen (05-30-2021), Mel1959 (02-07-2021), Scooterzmom (02-08-2021), sundoesshine (02-07-2021), Tashahaven (09-10-2022)

C Mom - From a documentary on grey squirrels I learned that they do triangulate the exact position where they burry nuts - in order to help themselves retrieve them later on. My guess is, it must be a snap for them to triangulate where the farthest position is under your bed... or else - and that is what I prefer to think: I think your sweet Mister P left an invisible mark there for his buddy. Invisible to your earthly eyes that is.
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Scooterzmom from:

Diggie's Friend (02-09-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Scooterzmom View Post
    C Mom - From a documentary on grey squirrels I learned that they do triangulate the exact position where they burry nuts - in order to help themselves retrieve them later on. My guess is, it must be a snap for them to triangulate where the farthest position is under your bed... or else - and that is what I prefer to think: I think your sweet Mister P left an invisible mark there for his buddy. Invisible to your earthly eyes that is.
    Sounds like a perfectly plausible theory. Absolutely.

the only way to avoid this scenario, I guess, is twin beds pushed together! That way you can dive in from above....but it probably won't work either
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle View Post

I have to say that Tinkerbelle's cryptonite is Tortilla Chips. We have finally limited her to only getting them when it's time to go back in her cage after her daily house-time. It works like a charm. Still not sure who's training who however.....

Lol I feel ya on that "who's training who" part.

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Beecheykeen from:

island rehabber (02-12-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by sundoesshine View Post
    I put a full cracked coconut in a bowl outside to dry (had soaked it). It was in 2 pieces, the top was about 1/4th. Of course I forgot to bring it inside and this morning my husband said our jr. was carrying that huge coconut across the lawn. Carrying, tripping, carrying...
    Lol how adorable. Reminds me of that Looney tunes episode where the squirrel keeps trying to crack a coconut.

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Beecheykeen from:

island rehabber (02-12-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Charley Chuckles View Post
    Ok then........
    Once leaving Dr Emerson's office with Conker, I stopped at a place called Ritters, it's a custard icecream stand and it's YUMMY well I bought a milkshake and drank it all 45 minutes home. Once Conker is back in his room I still had some of the shake left so I tipped the large cup on its side so Conker could have a lick. To my surprise he claimed in up to his waist 😝 I had a heck of a time getting him to back out he wanted the whole thing
    I couldn't get it washed off it stayed on him for a week, his hair was spiky like a hedgehog 🤣 however every time I picked him up he smelled delicious 😁
    I was sick about a week ago, and I am the primary squirrel handler (wrangler). My husband figured that since Joe has top teeth now, he couldn't POSSIBLY need to be syringe fed when I asked him to please give Joe a "bottle." Fast forward to returning from the bathroom to collapse, and seeing my baby Joe in his food bowl, all four paws in, wading in formula (Fox Valley) with his little face dripping! He was pleased as punch to be swimming in his serving, followed by an enthusiastic session of throwing any and all bedding to the ground so he could rub himself clean and pee on the leftovers

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123