Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Urgent: Anyone have an answer to self mutilation?

Default Re: Urgent: Anyone have an answer to self mutilation?

Quote Originally Posted by farm mom View Post
    Have you tried spraying the affected area with apple bitter. I've used it on bandages and skin with stitches on everything from Bunnies to Horses. And a fox with a bone pin sticking out of her shoulder. They don't like the taste.
    Yeah we've tried.
    A paste with Cayanne Pepper was suggested by the vet too.
    Her drive to chew herself overcomes any of the affects of the distaste unfortunately.
    Proud Squaddy to Pee Wee Squirrel, Lebron, Marino, Griese, Csonka, Patty, Sneezy, Grumpy, Shortcake, Trixie, Stinky, Hooty, Chewey, Bucky,Peyton, Dash, Braveheart, Thelma & Louise, Plumpkin & Spice, Nemo & Dori, the three little bears Smoky, Yogi and Booboo.

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Coralreefer from:

LR (11-29-2017)

Praying that this medication will work.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

LR (11-29-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Coralreefer View Post
    Yeah we've tried.
    A paste with Cayanne Pepper was suggested by the vet too.
    Her drive to chew herself overcomes any of the affects of the distaste unfortunately.
    Call Dr Diaz at the Exotic Animal Hospital of Orlando. Ask him to sedate her (Iso) and drastically blunt her incisors. He is an expert in his field and will know how far to go without damaging the enamel and dentin. I am sure you know it's a stop-gap measure but it beats open wounds, sepsis and death. She will still bite at the target area but the trauma will be minimal to none if blunted enough. Don't try it yourself or you can split the tooth laterally to the root and then incisor removal is the only option. This will buy you time to try different medications. Sounds like a nerve issue. I would call Diaz ASAP.

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SophieSquirrel:

LR (11-29-2017), Mel1959 (11-28-2017)

I would try adding magnesium citrate to her diet first, it really does calm the brain activity down. Also Inositol, a vitamin like chemical that the brain needs to relax normally; it has been used to counter Obsessive compulsions like self chewing in pets.

For dosages on these two key support nutrient sources, contact me by PM.

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

LR (11-29-2017)

Milk Thistle Decreases Symptoms of OCD

Milk Thistle is a plant with the flavonoid complex silymarin that increases the levels of serotonin in the cortex of mice.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J9MKEUG...505108991&sr=1

Light Therapy Might Help with OCD
    A single case report exists of a woman who developed OCD during the winter season. She also had seasonal affective disorder (SAD). Light therapy was an effective treatment for SAD and doctors prescribed 30 minutes of light therapy for five days. After two weeks, the woman felt a noticeable difference and no longer had symptoms of obsession.
    Glycine Is Helpful for Relieving OCD Symptoms

Glycine is an amino acid that reduces glutamate function in the cortical region of the brain [R].

In a 12-week study, 24 OCD patients were given 60 grams of glycine or placebo daily along with their regimen. Ten patients dropped out of the study due to bad taste and nausea with the glycine. Overall, there was a minor decrease in OCD symptoms.
    Since Glycine is often low in those with OCD. The use of Magnesium Glycinate a very well absorbed source pairs Magnesum and the Glycine in one source.

10. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

LR (11-29-2017), muggsy'sgm (11-29-2017), Nancy in New York (11-29-2017)

CoralReefer and DiggiesFriend:

I started oral CBD supplement protocol on my grey today. I'll let you know how it goes. I'm working with the company (CannaPet) that puts it out for larger pets.

I'll keep notes on Muggsy's behavior and contact CannaPet again on Friday to discuss side effects, effectiveness at deterring self-mutilation, and adjusting the dose.

Maybe, if successful, this could help someone else out there.

12. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to muggsy'sgm:

cava (11-29-2017), HRT4SQRLS (11-29-2017), LR (12-04-2017), Nancy in New York (11-29-2017)

How's CoralReefer's squirrel? Any word?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12