Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Urgent: Anyone have an answer to self mutilation?

Default Urgent: Anyone have an answer to self mutilation?

We rescued a squirrel attacked by multiple cats a year ago. She made a miraculous recovery. Has one bad arm but otherwise was ok. Slowly though she started self mutilating. It's been a long battle. Went from her Stomach to her leg. She is now mutilating her hand. Every time we take away one area she just moves to another. Weve tried vests, wraps, cones and vets have prescribed Gabapentin but nothing has worked.

She almost completely chewed off one of her fingers tonight. I'm sick to my stomach and at my wits end.
    I don't want to put her down but I'm just out of answers.

Has anyone had success stopping one of their squirrels from doing this to themselves?
    Please share what you did if you have.
    Proud Squaddy to Pee Wee Squirrel, Lebron, Marino, Griese, Csonka, Patty, Sneezy, Grumpy, Shortcake, Trixie, Stinky, Hooty, Chewey, Bucky,Peyton, Dash, Braveheart, Thelma & Louise, Plumpkin & Spice, Nemo & Dori, the three little bears Smoky, Yogi and Booboo.

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Coralreefer:

cava (11-19-2017), LR (11-19-2017)

Default Re: Urgent: Anyone have an answer to self mutilation?

I have some thoughts that Gabapentin can help this issue. I have ms and take it for nerve pain and annoyance. I wonder if you might have a vet in your area who could help with this.
    Message me for more information if interested.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SammysMom:

Coralreefer (11-21-2017), LR (11-19-2017)

I'm sorry to hear that Tom. Poor little Braveheart.

Have you tried Prozac or Zoloft? I'm sure a vet would prescribe it. They are serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRI).
    They have been used for obsessive compulsive disorders. (OCD). If a vet thinks it might work, it would take at least a month before you would see improvement. I know you're running out of options.

Here is an article about a OCD mouse as a model for human OCD. They mentioned the SSRI as a treatment.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2853748/

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Both of the meds mentioned might help (Gabapentin or an SSRI). I might start with Gabapentin first since it is much faster acting (about a week to start kicking in). SSRIs can take at least 3-6 weeks before starting to work for depression/OCD (at least in humans).
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

The Gabapentin has been tried at multiple dosages and has not deterred her at all.

The OCD medications are not something I had thought of. If I can keep her from killing herself long enough I'll give that a try. This has been one of the most frustrating and saddening experiences.

Thanks for the input all.
    Proud Squaddy to Pee Wee Squirrel, Lebron, Marino, Griese, Csonka, Patty, Sneezy, Grumpy, Shortcake, Trixie, Stinky, Hooty, Chewey, Bucky,Peyton, Dash, Braveheart, Thelma & Louise, Plumpkin & Spice, Nemo & Dori, the three little bears Smoky, Yogi and Booboo.

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Coralreefer:

cava (11-19-2017), LR (11-19-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post

Have you tried Prozac or Zoloft? I'm sure a vet would prescribe it. They are serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRI).
    They have been used for obsessive compulsive disorders. (OCD). If a vet thinks it might work, it would take at least a month before you would see improvement. I know you're running out of options.

Here is an article about a OCD mouse as a model for human OCD. They mentioned the SSRI as a treatment.
    Thanks Patti.
    This is at least some new hope.

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Coralreefer from:

LR (11-19-2017)

That is too bad, I hope an SSRI will help your little one!

Quote Originally Posted by Coralreefer View Post
    The Gabapentin has been tried at multiple dosages and has not deterred her at all.

The OCD medications are not something I had thought of. If I can keep her from killing herself long enough I'll give that a try. This has been one of the most frustrating and saddening experiences.

Thanks for the input all.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

14. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

Are you giving her any pain medication for her foot?

The outside of her may have healed up well from the cats but her nerve lines inside may not have. I can tell you from personal experience that Gabapentin does not always relieve nerve pain even to an acceptable level much less alleviate it. Have you tried any other types of long term pain meds?

16. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to LR:

cava (11-19-2017), Coralreefer (11-21-2017), missPixy (11-20-2017), Nancy in New York (11-20-2017)

maybe do some research about essential oils and herbs. I know some holistic veterinarians use both and acupuncture

18. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Rexie:

Coralreefer (11-21-2017), LR (11-22-2017)

I really would like to try CBD oil. Pain neds for now but....CBD is a great help

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to crazy4squirrels from:

Coralreefer (11-28-2017)

It does have a sedative effect, yet not a hallucingenic one, as that compound has not been included in the oil. There is a company out in the west I was introduced to recently at a horse show event. It is an organic oil CBD source made for pets. Let me see if I can find the brochure, or website.

22. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

Coralreefer (11-28-2017), LR (11-23-2017)

Zoloff and other psychotrophic drugs tend to work for awhile for some, yet after sometime they stop working as well, and also come with negative side effects, both of which may require the patient to go through a period of withdrawl to get off them.

CBD oil doesn't appear to have such issues, and has been recommended for pets by veterinarians, and used with success. There are atomizers that are available that some of the produces of this source offer that can be used externally much like Rescue Remedy spray from Bach Flower essences is used. For small mammals using a cue-tip to apply a small drop of the oil on the upper inside surface of the outer ear makes application very easy.

24. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

Coralreefer (11-28-2017), LR (11-23-2017), muggsy'sgm (11-29-2017)

I thought to add here that in adding in more magnesium (citrate) in the diet, will support the brain to be more calm and the nerves in the body also. This can be used with CBD.

26. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

LR (11-29-2017), muggsy'sgm (11-29-2017)

I HAVE A 5 MONTH OLD GREY THAT IS SELF-MUTILATING HIS TAIL. No parasites, change of environment...healthy food pyramid, etc...

What dose CBD oil would I use to try to calm him a bit? I can find dosing for dogs and cats...but nothing for rodents. I'm willing to try anything.

How are y'all's babies doing, by the way?

28. Serious fuzzy thank you's to muggsy'sgm from:

LR (11-29-2017)

Muggsys'gm, as far as I know this treatment has never been used. It would be entirely experimental so it is unlikely that you would find dosing information. Coralreefer has tried almost all of the usual treatments without success. He is rapidly reaching a point 'of last resort'. When you are there it's like a Hail Mary pass. Try it and hope for the best.

You're at the start of this and I definitely hope Muggsy doesn't get as bad as Braveheart. Their experiences would be a good resource for you though.

30. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Coralreefer (11-28-2017), LR (11-29-2017), Mel1959 (11-23-2017), muggsy'sgm (11-23-2017)

No more than one drop and I would not give it orally, at least not initially, but using a cue-tip, apply it to the upper side of the inside of the outer ear. It isn't that it couldn't be given to pets before, for Veterinarians are prescribing it for use in pets outhere in the West. Westlake, Ca., yet with squirrels it hsn't be as yet used and it is a strong source that you 'feel' its effects. I know a pharmacist wanted me to try a source that included CBD, not the pure oil. That didn'' work well for me, but again it wasn't the pure CBD oil. Personally I don't like any feeling of being drugged, save I need it for serious pain. Yet at times such may be needed in emergency situations.

Other sources that are known to reduce anxiety in Tree squirrels that have been used for pets, and some for squirrels on a regular basis include: https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...03#post1246203

In addition, Magnesum citrate has been found in rat research studies to support a calmer brain, and nerves in the rest of the body. It also has been found in rat research to be key in supporting the mineralization of calcium in the bones.

32. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

Coralreefer (11-28-2017), LR (11-29-2017), muggsy'sgm (11-29-2017)

Have you tried spraying the affected area with apple bitter. I've used it on bandages and skin with stitches on everything from Bunnies to Horses. And a fox with a bone pin sticking out of her shoulder. They don't like the taste.
    farm mom
    Md. Licensed Master Rehabber

34. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to farm mom:

Coralreefer (11-28-2017), LR (11-29-2017)

So...wrapping an affected appendage in some type of self-adhesing bandage...then coating it with the apple bitters...will stop an animal from chewing on itself? Anyone else have experience with this? It sounds exciting!

36. Serious fuzzy thank you's to muggsy'sgm from:

LR (11-29-2017)

Here is an interesting article on the subject: http://newfoundlandnews.blogspot.com...imals-too.html

If the situation become life threatening perhaps removing her incisors or keeping them severely blunted is the only option. There will be many that disagree, but if all else fails it better than open wounds, infection and possible death. Either Dr. Emerson from Ravenwood in Port Orange or Dr. Diaz from Orlando Exotic Animal Hospital can do this procedure. Severely blunting must be done under anesthesia and will require regular maintenance. Also molars will need to be check frequently for spurs. Removal or blunting is a drastic measure and will require diet modification and dedication to assist with feeding.

38. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SophieSquirrel from:

LR (11-29-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post

So the Vet prescribed Clomipramine to go along with the Gabbapentin.
    This is used on birds that have developed a behavior of pulling out their own feathers apparently.
    Fingers crossed again.

40. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Coralreefer:

LR (11-29-2017), muggsy'sgm (11-29-2017)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast