Thread: Healthy weights for gray squirrels

Default Healthy weights for gray squirrels

Ok. I need to know what the healthy weights for eastern grays are. I have an 11 year old female. She used to weigh more but has been declining in weight. She's at 420-430 grams.
    I also have a 6 year old male and he's about 700-750 grams. ( Hes very active)

Are their weights Ok? I worry about my girl because she's older. Boy Newt will eat anything and my Curlie girlie is super picky. (Picture of Newt in thumbnail.)
    Curliesmom

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Curliesmom2017:

LR (11-18-2017), Tootsie's mom (11-18-2017)

Default Re: Healthy weights for gray squirrels

Curlie (She's also a runt) She does eat. I promise. She eats constantly. She's just declined in muscle mass due to age.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Curliesmom

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Curliesmom2017 from:

LR (11-18-2017)

Weights vary greatly with squirrels based on their geographical location. Our Florida Eastern greys weigh about 400-500gr at maturity. Eastern greys in the northeast weigh significantly more, 700gr +.

I would think that there would be weight loss due to age, much the same as you see in people and domestic animals. You can try giving additional high calorie foods like avocado and coconut. Would she possibly take formula? Make sure she stays hydrated to keep her kidneys functioning properly.

She looks good to me and 11 years old is a good testament to the great care you’ve given her.

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Curliesmom2017 (11-18-2017), LR (11-18-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Curliesmom2017 View Post
    Ok. I need to know what the healthy weights for eastern grays are. I have an 11 year old female. She used to weigh more but has been declining in weight. She's at 420-430 grams.
    I also have a 6 year old male and he's about 700-750 grams. ( Hes very active)

Are their weights Ok? I worry about my girl because she's older. Boy Newt will eat anything and my Curlie girlie is super picky. (Picture of Newt in thumbnail.)
    11 years! You are an amazing squirrel mom!! I have no input on weight but I just wanted to tell you that.

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Tootsie's mom:

Curliesmom2017 (11-18-2017), LR (11-18-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Tootsie's mom View Post
    11 years! You are an amazing squirrel mom!! I have no input on weight but I just wanted to tell you that.
    Thank you. She's an absolutely wonderful squirrel. She's been with us since she was 4 weeks old. She fell 80 feet out of the tree. One of her eyes opened in the landing. And she was neurological because of how far she fell. She had seizures for months. But those went away. We have a small apartment completely squirrel proof, (and she doesn't jump) so she can run around as she wants. I've never caged her. She has a nest in a drawer in her own bedroom. I love her so very much. I'm hoping she has a lot more years in her.
    Curliesmom

10. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Curliesmom2017:

LR (11-18-2017), Mel1959 (11-19-2017), Tootsie's mom (11-19-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Weights vary greatly with squirrels based on their geographical location. Our Florida Eastern greys weigh about 400-500gr at maturity. Eastern greys in the northeast weigh significantly more, 700gr +.

I would think that there would be weight loss due to age, much the same as you see in people and domestic animals. You can try giving additional high calorie foods like avocado and coconut. Would she possibly take formula? Make sure she stays hydrated to keep her kidneys functioning properly.

She looks good to me and 11 years old is a good testament to the great care you’ve given her.
    Thank you for the info. We are mid Atlantic so I'm glad to know they're both in range. Except Newt is a little chunky. He is limited on his food. He's just big. He's also getting up there in age. I've had Curlie since she was 4 weeks old.
    But I've had Newt since he was less than 10 days old. His litter was my youngest ever babies. The other two passed and Newt is a nonrelease so he stayed too.
    Curliesmom

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Curliesmom2017:

LR (11-18-2017), Mel1959 (11-19-2017)