Thread: Need diet clarification

Olive Guest

Default Need diet clarification

Olive is a grey about 11 weeks old. She gets HH Baby Squirrel Blocks (2 per day) and lots of vegetables and some fruits off of the pyramid. Does she need other rodent blocks? I saw a post mention that the HHP blocks are supplements only. Also, I have a sugar glider on the Pricilla Price diet and l use her vitamins for proper Ca:P ratio. Would these be good for Olive? Thanks!

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Olive from:

LR (11-17-2017)

Default Re: Need diet clarification

The HHP block ensures that the squirrel is getting vitamins and minerals daily and are fed along with healthy greens and vegetables to keep the squirrel full the rest of the day.

Rodent block on the other hand is free fed meaning it is left in their cage and they eat it as they get hungry throughout the day. If the block is one of the recommended blocks it is not necessary to feed additional foods as it supplies sufficient vitamins and minerals plus keeps them full throughout the day.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to LR from:

muggsy'sgm (11-24-2017)

These are recommended block

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to LR:

Mel1959 (11-17-2017), Nancy in New York (11-17-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by LynnRobbins View Post
    The HHP block ensures that the squirrel is getting vitamins and minerals daily and are fed along with healthy greens and vegetables to keep the squirrel full the rest of the day.

Rodent block on the other hand is free fed meaning it is left in their cage and they eat it as they get hungry throughout the day.
    If the block is one of the recommended blocks it is not necessary to feed additional foods
    as it supplies sufficient vitamins and minerals plus keeps them full throughout the day.

Although I agree a good quality block is the most essential part of their diet, additional foods as outlined in
    the healthy diet for squirrels can be just as important to their nutritional requirements as well as providing
    healthy bodily functions.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

LR (11-17-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post

Although I agree a good quality block is the most essential part of their diet, additional foods as outlined in
    the healthy diet for squirrels can be just as important to their nutritional requirements as well as providing
    healthy bodily functions.
    Russell is absolutely right about this.
    However with the commercial blocks it takes a handful for the squirrel to get
    the nutrition from 2 henry blocks. I don't know of any squirrel
    that will eat a handful of blocks, plus the recommended veggies.
    BUT even with Henry's we always add additional veggies and limited fruit.

10. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

Diggie's Friend (11-18-2017), LR (11-17-2017), stepnstone (11-17-2017)

Just stating how each diet was/is intended to be fed. Most people don't feed a strict diet of either one. Boo balls made from block are fed to squirrels on the Henry's and veggies and boo balls are given to squirrels on the block.

12. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to LR:

cava (11-18-2017), Diggie's Friend (11-18-2017), Mel1959 (11-17-2017), muggsy'sgm (11-24-2017)

idk about the glider food, sugar gliders and flyers are so different. i know its not a sugar glider board, and ur not talking about it, but if your glider is alone it could die from depression. just trying to look out for the health of ALL animals
    "Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened."
    - Anatole France

"We have doomed the wolf not for what it is, but for what we deliberately and mistakenly
    perceive it to be - the mythologized epitome of a savage ruthless killer - which is, in reality,
    no more than a reflected image of ourselves."
    - Farley Mowat

Talking Re: Need diet clarification

I think that whoever wrote that HHB is a supplement ment that it isn't ment to be fed as the squirrels only food. Although it supplies all of the daily vitamins and minerals needed I can't imagine any squirrel keeping his belly full on only two pieces of block! Ruby would be throwing things at me.....

15. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to LR:

cava (11-18-2017), Nancy in New York (11-18-2017)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.