Thread: I need advice, my female seems to have hurt her back right leg.

Default I need advice, my female seems to have hurt her back right leg.

Good morning everyone, in the evening yesterday my female squirrel pebbles started limping, she was not putting too much weight on her back right leg. She has hung upside-down by her back feet, and she has hung upside-down from all 4 legs on the bottom side of a branch in their cage even with the discomfort. She is not falling over or refusing to use it but it does seem she may have sprained or twisted something in her foot. She is still active, climbing and eating but it does seem like she has some discomfort.. is there anything I can or should do? Since she's been limping she's been eating their calcium blocks like crazzzyy. ( Limping started last night around 6pm and she is still slightly limping this morning.) Thanks for advice ahead of time!

Default Re: I need advice, my female seems to have hurt her back right leg.

She can probably have Motrin for inflammation. They will need a weight in grams to dose her if she needs it.

Here is the thing: If she has sprained/twisted/strained something, the BEST thing for her to be doing is not to be running, climbing and acting like a normal squirrel. All of those will respond a heck of a lot faster if the animal can be induced to take it easy for a few days.

If it hurts, they will favor it, and that is good for healing but stinks because, well, it HURTS! If you give pain meds, it will relieve at least some of that pain - and that is good! And not good, because they will not be stopped from being squirrely by the soreness, and could very well hurt themselves more severely because they don't feel it properly. And even if you explain all of this to them very logically and ask them to be good, they will ignore you.

Ideally, you would want to combine the pain relief with reduced area to run and jump, being kept in a more quiet surroundings, etc., so you can combine the good part of pain relief without running into the bad. So try to make her home smaller, boring, with a wonderfully comfy bed in it - if you can slip a heating pad under it without her being able to get to it even better.

I do have a scale I can weigh her on but I am worried about giving her medicine.( I just get anxiety about her possibly having a reaction to it ) Any tips on how to get them to sit on the scale 😂😂? With how mild it seems should I watch her today and if it gets worse take her to the vet or just give Motrin? I can try to get a video if anyone needs to see before making suggestions?? It's not swollen and they're is no visible wound or anything.. really doesn't seem to bother her much but in over a year of having them they've never gotten hurt before so I'm concerned. Thanks!

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to KAM2017 from:

LR (11-16-2017)

I definitely will try and prevent her from playing and running around. That was another concern of mine besides a possibility of having a reaction to the medicine, was that she would use it more a possibly hurt it more. Maybe I will warm up towels in the dryer and put them in their nest and nap areas, it won't hold the heat too long but I know how they are if they feel a cord lol so I don't think I can get away with a heating pad unfortunately. I do have a parrot travel cage I can put her in if she's being too active but I don't want her to freak out trying to get out of it ( they hate being locked in their enormous cage so the travel cage I think will stress her out, but I will put her in if she's getting too active and not resting. She seems to really know how to take care of it herself, still eating normal, using the calcium blocks A LOT and she's been resting today more than usual with her brother by her side 😍. I'm hoping later today or tomorrow morning she's 100 percent. If I will probably call their vet and see if he thinks she needs to come in but when I just went in there she already seemed a bit better with how she used it. Thanks everyone! I've just never had anything like this happen and wanted to see what I could do to help. I really appreciate it!

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to KAM2017 from:

LR (11-16-2017)

I just wanted to let everyone know that pebbles is almost 100 percent today and you can hardly tell she hurt herself! Amazing how fast she healed! She's back to playing hard with her brother Bam and hardly even babying it today! Yay!! Thanks everyone!!

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to KAM2017 from:

LR (11-17-2017)

https://www.facebook.com/kati.montuo...1463319893174/

Here is a link to my Facebook with a video of my babies I posted this morning 😊😊